Forum Index > Trip Reports > Paradise Valley revisited /Upper reaches of Tshletshy trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jask

jask
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 7:56 am 
On our return from the Skyline trail we exited by way of Three Lakes with the idea of stopping to look for the old trail that crosses the ridge and enters the Paradise Valley. Nobody else in our party had ever been there besides myself some 30 years ago, and with some persuasion I managed to convince the others it would be fun to go down there. But first a bit of re-tracing back to 1985. That year my friend and I were camped at Three Lakes when a man came into camp and mumbled something about us taking his favorite campsite. He came back again later with some other people to visit and we learned that it was author Robert Wood who had come into camp. He asked if we wanted to join them the next day on a day trip into the Paradise Valley. We had no idea where it was but eagerly accepted the invitation – it wasn't every day that the author of the trail guide in your pack just shows up and invites you on a hike. After returning from Paradise Valley we also followed him up the old Finley Peak/Knife edge trail taking in all the history and other knowledge he had to offer. Back to present. The pictures that follow are some then-and-now pictures plus a few of the Tshletshy trail below Paradise Valley. The trail is completely overgrown with huckleberry bushes, but in many places you can still see where it cuts into the hillside. A few faded tags remain in place and someone had recently broken an occasional huckleberry branch to mark the way. A few old wooden signs let you know you're on track. It was definitely traceable, but again we only followed it to around 2400 ft. elevation before reluctantly turning around (wish we would have continued down to the creek but we needed to get back).
Surveying Tshletshy drainage 1985
Surveying Tshletshy drainage 1985
Paradise Valley 1985
Paradise Valley 1985
Paradise valley present day
Paradise valley present day
Taken from Tshletshy trail close to ridgeline
Taken from Tshletshy trail close to ridgeline
Tshletshy trail (note sign on tree)
Tshletshy trail (note sign on tree)
Approaching shelter 1985
Approaching shelter 1985
Three Lakes shelter 1985
Three Lakes shelter 1985
Standing at location of old shelter
Standing at location of old shelter
The old shelter is gone now and looked ready for demolition back in 1985. We set up camp there and pitched our tent in what turned out to be a seeping drainage field. Not so nice but it was our last night so just packed out the wet stuff.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 1:47 pm 
fascinating. thanks! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
reststep

reststep
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 2:36 pm 
Agree Thanks for the report.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
meck

meck
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 6:36 pm 
Cool! I'd been wondering about that area since backpacking the N. Fk-Skyline loop last summer and noting the name listed on the map. Thank you for posting the pics and info, gonna have to go take a look next year.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Nov 14, 2016 8:04 pm 
meck, I think if you dig through the "Tshletshy Creek" threads you'll find some stuff of interest: Tshletshy Creek thread 07/08/11 - check boaterbrett's trip report - link on page 8 Tshletshy Creek thread 05/17/13 - take a look at the 1981 report cited in restep's post on page 2 Tshletshy Creek thread 06/30/05 - just some snippets of info. A few years ago I ran into a party of NFS staffers who came down off the Skyline and worked their way down the Tshletshy drainage. From their comments, "daunting task" would be a gross understatement. I recall Gay telling me there were times when she said she was 20 feet off the ground traversing across jackstrawed blowdown. Be sure to give yourself ample time - as I recall they said it took them four days.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
jask

jask
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 1:11 am 
I have read one or two reports about following the Tshletshy all the way through and that was never our objective for this trip or any future one. Too rugged! We just did the fun and easy section of it. But if I understand Meck correctly he/she wants to check out the area and I would suggest setting up camp in the Paradise Valley and taking a day trip without packs down to the creek. Down in the forest we missed a switchback or two but that was the only real challenge in keeping on track.

Bruce

Bruce
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 8:20 am 
SKI stayed at 3 Lakes in August (same time the girl got lost out by Finley) any way met a FS crew from Portland. Seems as they have a historic plot out in the area...a several day survey. (they don't survey ever year) Still some signs not far out and old campsite Bruce

RodF

RodF
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 2:55 pm 
Fascinating! Definitely on my bucket list. To have hiked Paradise Valley and Finley Peak with Robert Wood, gosh I sure envy that experience!

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
meck

meck
PostTue Nov 15, 2016 5:49 pm 
My intent would probably just be to pop over the ridge from 3-Lakes while on a loop to spend a night or so there. I also want to go tag Kimta and Zindorf further N/W. I can only imagine what it must have been like for those other backpacking teams coming up or going down the Tshletshy creek drainage! I wonder if I'd even be able to manage it in 4 days.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
javman

javman
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 12:22 am 
Nice pics and story! Such a great trail for an easy dayhike hockeygrin.gif

jask

jask
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 2:44 am 
Yes, it was a stroke of luck meeting Bob Wood back then but our good fortune didn't end there. I contacted him a few years later about a hike to Lk. Lillian and he decided to join us and bring along some of his hiking buddies. After that there was more contact and trips. Bob liked introducing hikers to other hikers and that's how we paired up with our hiking partner in the 90's Dave, a first-class woodsman of the old school who taught us so much about cross country travel. We continue to meet good people out there. RodF: we may have run into you in 2008 near Slide Camp. Three of us were on the trail after returning from Mt. Baldy and we met two Graywolf trail crews. Someone told about 2 men that went missing after taking the wrong way down from Baldy. One of the crew was an enthusiastic 78 yr. old from Sequim who talked about his affection for Cedar Lake. Were you part of these crews?

graywolf

graywolf
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 am 
When I took my older daughter and some friends to climb Mt. Olympus a number of years ago, we ran into a group descending from Glacier Meadows who had spread Robert Woods' ashes on the summit. I recognized Kent Heathershaw, so our two groups stopped for a few minutes of conversation. Were you part of that group?

The only easy day was yesterday...
jask

jask
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 7:45 am 
No, but I heard some of his friends were going up there to do that. I see you're located in Poulsbo. That's where I grew up.

RodF

RodF
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 3:52 pm 
jask wrote:
RodF: we may have run into you in 2008 near Slide Camp. Three of us were on the trail after returning from Mt. Baldy and we met two Graywolf trail crews. Someone told about 2 men that went missing after taking the wrong way down from Baldy. One of the crew was an enthusiastic 78 yr. old from Sequim who talked about his affection for Cedar Lake. Were you part of these crews?
Yeah, that was us. And we did continue clearing the Gray Wolf Trail, all the way to Cedar Lake.
Don Stoneman at Cedar Lake
Don Stoneman at Cedar Lake

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
jask

jask
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 2:26 am 
That must be him. I can't remember his face but recall he was dressed like a logger. We continued up to Cedar Lake and did the loop that hooks up with the Graywolf trail. Beautiful country up there. Thanks for the trail work.