Forum Index > Support & Feedback > NWH Mobile update
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:54 pm 
Topic renamed NWH Mobile update by admin Noticed nwhikers started displaying names and dates under the thread titles today. Really don't like the change. Very cluttered. My eyes are now having to work more to pick things out on the main pages, even though the titles are in bold. Opinions? I much preferred how it was before for years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:10 pm 
I'm tweaking things for mobile. It won't display if your screen is wide enough. In the interim you may see things come and go while I'm testing.

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!

markh752
Snoozing on a rock!
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:21 pm 
I was wondering if there was an update for mobile. I noticed the difference on my phone. Not Good. Not bad. Just different from the desktop version I am used to seeing on my phone*. I haven't noticed anything different on Windows 10, Chrome browser *Samsung S4, Android v 5.0.1, Chrome browser

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 pm 
I think you'll like the mobile layout when it's complete. Probably a couple weeks from completion, at the earliest The goal is to make everything fully responsive to the viewport, while not castrating functionality.

GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 5:19 am 
The mobile layout looks a lot better (I have an iPhone 6s), although the display extends a tad too far over to the right. I either have to scroll over slightly, or reduce the size. Still much better than before. Thanks for the work!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Oct 06, 2016 5:30 am 
Yes, it's going to take a while to make the pages fully responsive. Going after the low hanging fruit first.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Nov 11, 2016 3:39 pm 
Mobile update is about 95% complete with most pages now fully responsive. The latest update was a fairly major re-write of the thumbnail display code. Thumbnails should now automatically wrap when changing orientation from portrait to landscape and captions should align with them. Please let me know if thumbnails or captions are not displaying properly on desktop or mobile.

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 9:30 am 
Just gave it a quick run around on my Android phone. It's beautiful. Text wraps nicely, columns line up, and images all fit. Portrait and landscape mode are reactive, automatically making full use of the screen both ways. Font size is good. I don't have to resize anything unless I want to zoom in on a picture after opening in a separate tab. Nice job!

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 2:42 pm 
Good to hear. As far as larger size photos, we still haven't enabled the new lightbox feature site-wide (will take a few more weeks to work out all the kinks) but you can get a preview if you go to the calendar voting thread. It automatically zooms images to fit the screen (no separate tab), lets you swipe left/right to navigate, gives you the option to view images full screen, zoom in further with double tap, etc.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:27 pm 
I also like it a lot.

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 9:00 am 
Just dawned on me the the calendar photo submission page is using the lightbox. It also works great on both the Android phone and tablet. Just like using Google Photos or the Flickr app. I'd say it be ready for 100% activation, but I know programming and scripting require caution. There's always some bugaboo waiting to trip things up when conditions are just right or something. Phone and tablet are probably 80% of my computer time, then NW Hikers is a large part of that, so it makes things much nicer. Christmas presents coming early this year!

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:48 am 
Overall I'm very pleased with the new mobile friendly code. One minor mobile suggestion for the trip reports section is to replace "Goto page" dropdown (next to the top pagination) with the trip report search box. Being able to quickly search for trip reports is a lot more important than going to an exact pagination listing page. The bottom one would still be there as well as the typical pagination near the top.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:30 pm 
Good suggestion. I went ahead and put this in. There seems to be enough room to the top right for a pagination drop down so might add that later.

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis

Josh Journey
a.k.a Josh Lewis
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:34 pm 
Thanks Tom. Works great! up.gif up.gif