Forum Index > Support & Feedback > My font has changed overnight. Suggestions?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 8:46 am 
I notice this morning that my font has changed. I didn't do any new updates last night. Does anyone know how that may have happened? I am using Windows 7. Thanks, ~z

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:33 am 
Do you have a cat? Mine dimmed my screen all the way down last night.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:42 am 
No cats. Just that NWHikers has a different appearance. So does the type on the Mozilla home page and other websites. I am noticing this more in the sans serif typeface. If I was more knowledgeable I could explain it better. But I really miss the old typeface. Not knowing how websites work, but do they have a default font? I sort of thought that the website controlled the font. I am surprised that it happened because now I have it set that Windows Updates are announced and I choose to run them. I did not see any Update when I turned my machine off last night.

IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 10:32 am 
NWHikers is the only site I see a difference on, but you mention Mozilla as well? I'm browsing with Firefox - maybe it was some change to the browser and how it interfaces with NWH? The narrower font is hard on older eyes.

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Brockton

Brockton
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 10:35 am 
Glad I found this thread, as I was also wondering if the NWHikers font had changed or whether my 44 year old eyes finally need the bifocals I've been putting off. Did the NWHikers administrators change the font?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:04 pm 
I did change the font last night and increased the size by 1 so it should actually have displayed slightly larger than before. I just changed things back since some of you were having readability issues. The font stack is Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif (in that order). The problem with Verdana (among other things) is it displays larger than the fall back fonts (Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif). So what you were seeing this morning was actually larger than how things look on OS without Verdana (pretty much any Android device).

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 12:45 pm 
Tom wrote:
I just changed things back since some of you were having readability issues.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. (sigh) This is so familiar and so welcome. Feels sooooo much better now. I will go check other sites. Maybe this being the place I go to first, the new font threw me off on other sites. dizzy.gif ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 1:12 pm 
I personally find NWH's font size to be too small for my aging eyes. Our font size is definitely smaller than the majority of web sites these days. I have to bump it 10% on my computer. I suspect I am not the only one. From what I've read the recommended font size for the web is 16px. Our font size is 12px Verdana but since Verdana displays larger than most fonts, it's actually closer to 13-14px. It is more readable at smaller sizes (that's what Verdana was intended for). I assume that's why you prefer it at our current size, in addition to being what you are used to seeing. I really think we should switch to a larger default size (16px) and ditch Verdana in favor of a normal sized font.

mike

mike
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 7:58 pm 
Tom wrote:
I have to bump it 10% on my computer. I suspect I am not the only one.
Yep.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 9:44 pm 
I went ahead and bumped up the font size a notch while leaving the font the same. Should make everything easier to read. If it's too big you can always have your browser scale it back.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:10 pm 
Tom wrote:
while leaving the font the same.
Thanks, Tom. I appreciate having the same font. That other one was disquieting for some reason. It seemed cold, impersonal.
Tom wrote:
If it's too big you can always have your browser scale it back.
I may try to do this. But I imagine it would affect all other websites as well. Even though I have vision issues and wear glasses while on the computer/reading/driving, etc., I for some reason liked the smaller size. But I understand the need. ~z

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Oct 05, 2016 11:30 pm 
If you use firefox i would recommend nosquint plus if you want to vary zoom by website. Be sure to change the default settings to 100%.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Nov 20, 2016 5:16 am 
I added a drop down to personalize font size (note AA at top right of first post of in topic view). If you want to go back to the original font size choose the first option (small). It will save your preference on the device you are using. This should be useful to mobile users who need a larger size on a particular device.