Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Genealogy is really interesting
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 10:03 am 
Due to a letter written from my mother's grandmother in 1943 which provided an essential link to my ancestors back to my 4x great grandmother Sylvia Delano, I've been able to do some research on WikiTree and other sites, such as Ancestry.com, geni.com, findagrave.com and elsewhere. Just with that one line I've been able to trace my ancestry as a direct descendent of at least 11 Mayflower passengers, as well as cousin (i.e., a common direct ancestor) to at least 5 former Presidents of the United States. Famouskin.com is a great resource to see who an ancestor of yours is related to. I'm just learning the ropes for tracing ancestry, so if others have tips and info to share, chime in.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 1:08 pm 
Yes, if you find a connection to one Mayflower passenger it's likely you'll find it to many others. Not a lot of outside marriage choices back then. My wife's family came from Maine and I've found similar results for her. A word of caution - there's a ton of inaccurate information on those websites, particularly with Wikitree. Look at the reference sources carefully and verify them whenever possible. I used to have my tree on Ancestry.com since they first began, until the last major format change they did. I spent half my research time contacting people who grabbed people from my tree and inserted them into totally unrelated families. I've been researching since 1978, when I started digging up my family roots in Norwegian Church records.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
Schroder wrote:
"... there's a ton of inaccurate information on those websites..."
^ Unfortunately this is all too true. My sister worked for years on the "family tree" - also through Norwegian church records (on my mother's side.) Interesting stuff, but there's a boatload of misinformation out there in internet land. This guy was the first postmaster in southeast Oregon:
Levi Scott
Levi Scott
Agency Valley Cemetary - Levi Scott Grave
I guess he'd be my great-great-great-great-something-or-other... can't recall now. Some other guy in his clan founded some college in Oregon. My sister Lise''s research - that's her in the photo at the gravesite - resulted in a couple visits from our distant cousin Helen - all the way from Skarmunken, Norway. My aunt and uncle went over and took a turn at rowing great-grandfather Peter Lorents Hansen's wooden rowboat around in the fjord. Had it not been for all that, I would never have known what a ostehøvel is, and I wouldn't have these stylish wooden cups:
ostehøvel
ostehøvel
norwegian_wooden_cups
norwegian_wooden_cups

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
mike

mike
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 5:50 pm 
Ski wrote:
I guess he'd be my great-great-great-great-something-or-other... can't recall now.
My wife and I also enjoy tracking information about ancestors. Adds a new dimension to road trips. If this is the Agency Cemetery at Beulah Reservoir Then it is very near (2mi.) where my wife's ggg aunt died and was buried in 1845 on the bank of the Malheur River. This was the infamous Meek Cutoff. She was 22 and left 2 kids. Her husband Roland carved a gravestone which is still there if you know where to look. He continued on to settle in Kings Valley near Corvalis and imported the first grindstone in the area. It came around the horn in 1850. It is now in a park in Corvallis.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:00 pm 
Ski wrote:
This guy was the first postmaster in southeast Oregon
That's interesting Ski. My g-g-g-grandfather was the first Postmaster in Haugesund, Norway. Here's a photo of him in 1848
Svend Jørgensen Vibrandsøy (1795-1879)
Svend Jørgensen Vibrandsøy (1795-1879)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Nov 16, 2016 6:50 pm 
mike wrote:
"If this is the Agency Cemetery at Beulah Reservoir..."
Not a clue. She said it was out in the middle of nowhere in south-southeast Oregon - high desert country. Levi Scott was one of those "Oregon Trail" guys. Interesting stuff. On my old man's side I have ancestors who fought for Robert E. Lee and on the other side for the Union Army. History gets lost there at some point - they were "ne'er do wells" - moonshiners and hillbillies - supposedly from Tennessee or thereabouts. One of them married into the well-to-do family of Captain George Steck (on the Union side) who was a landowner and vintner in the Alsace-Lorraine valley. Created a "family feud" thing that went on for years in the area of Tarkio/Fairfax/Rockport Missouri.
captain-george-steck-family-1891
captain-george-steck-family-1891
john-dewitt-kirk&ora-belle-steck-wedding-feb-08-1899
john-dewitt-kirk&ora-belle-steck-wedding-feb-08-1899
nancy-(nan)-&-calvin-(cad)-&-james-(jimmie)-cannon-&-james-lacy-kirk
nancy-(nan)-&-calvin-(cad)-&-james-(jimmie)-cannon-&-james-lacy-kirk
(Great-grandfather James Lacy at right in third image.)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 9:21 am 
English/Irish on my mothers side with good record keeping in the family. Midwest/dakotas mostly...However on dads side it is more difficult because he is from west virginia and during the civil war the court houses where the records were kept were burnt and relying on family bibles was about the only records kept. Dad had told me hessian guards were with washington which would have made me part high german. However, from research I did I found that even though there actually were hessian guards they were not with washington but on the opposing side so that info was wrong...On top of it all due to name changes it has been hard to back track anything...Most of the genealogy sites are wrong anyway....fwiw

mike

mike
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 11:06 am 
Ski wrote:
Levi Scott was one of those "Oregon Trail" guys.
Yes LS came west on the OT in 1844. He was with Jesse Applegate when he pioneered the Applegate Trail into S-OR which was looking for an alternate route to the Willamette Valley. The trail went right through one of my wife's ggg grandfather's homestead south of Klamath Falls. On one of our trips we stopped and visited with the rancher who now owns the land. BTW I'm sure the above photo is of the Agency Cemetery on Beulah Reservoir in the Agency Valley. Background gives it away. Definitely off the beaten track. There is a hot springs on Warm Creek a few hundred yards from the present cemetery and the Meek Wagon Train groups camped there the nights of August 29-30, 1845. By this time the train was spread out 2-3 days. Ruts can still be seen in places.