Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anderson Mountain (Skagit) and a bit of geology- 11/16/16
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Nov 21, 2016 1:55 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Come on up to go 'sploring, and email me if you want a guide!
I'll definitely take you up on that! I've spent entirely too much time hiking / running in the Issy Alps and your neck of the woods will be a nice change of pace. (Mostly though, my pace seems to be changing in the direction of slower, but I digress).

Karl J Kaiyala
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Nov 21, 2016 6:59 pm 
KarlK wrote:
my pace seems to be changing in the direction of slower, but I digress).
Have you noticed also how the trails are steeper and the miles longer? I have frown.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
KarlK

KarlK
PostMon Nov 21, 2016 8:24 pm 
Steeper and longer, yes, but the curious thing is I like hiking & being in the mountains more than ever. So that's a plus.

Karl J Kaiyala
Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 pm 
Hi Brushbuffalo! We met snowshoeing today on Anderson mountain. I introduced myself as Garth and my black lab Loki. Really enjoyed our conversation about the natural history of this place. The geologic displacement I referred to as " Nobody's Fault" is quite large and most of it is obscured by forest cover between the 2 parallel North/ south road sections. This area has a remarkable "feel" to it and is a nice contrast to the sublime summit area. The DNR access road (Alger Mountain road) from the south is unlocked September 1 to December 31 annually. Happy Trails

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 7:35 pm 
Hi Garth, Yes, it was fun meeting you and Loki today! Thanks for your work on the trails. The elongated depression you are referring to is another sackung. I didn't photograph it in my original report here because it is not convincing of anything at all in a photo with the thick forest pretty much hiding it. I explored it in 1996 and it has some deep holes between masses of blocking debris. Kind of eerie. eek.gif It and several others show clearly in LiDar imagery., which "sees through" all the vegetation and makes this area look like Utah.

Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 2:09 pm 
Yesterday Loki and I made the short but difficult brush crash into the historic Alger Mountain Shingle Mill site on Anderson Mountain ( aka Alger Mountain ). This small community consisted of a mill, rail siding, and 7 or 8 houses, and was reached by trail or steep inclined railroad. Located about 1/4 mile behind (southeast) of the large quarry about 3 miles up the Alger Mountain road, this operation was active 1910-1918. A school for the employees' children was open on site from 1911-1915. Our search for artifacts or evidence was not rewarded: we were only able to locate the site above Dry Creek, large old growth cedar stumps, and the rail grade, switch junction, and tail track spur. A foot of snowcover didn't help. Perhaps further exploration in season with a metal detector will be fruitful. As a hike I cannot recommend it unless you (like me) enjoy the challange of locating and exploring historical sites.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 10:34 pm 
Anatoli wrote:
As a hike I cannot recommend it unless you (like me) enjoy the challange of locating and exploring historical sites.
Red meat biggrin.gif

Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 11:53 pm 
DNR closes the gate January 1 to August 30th. Still 3 miles one way isn't bad.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostSat Dec 17, 2016 4:39 pm 
Anatoli wrote:
historic Alger Mountain Shingle Mill site on Anderson Mountain
Found it on a 1918 map, the Samish Lake 15'. Site is shown at about 1400' on Dry Creek. [edit: that should be 1500'....see "update below] http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/ It is interesting that the railroad grade leading north is extremely steep, necessitating an incline rr. as anatoli wrote, then in the valley where SR-9 lies today, a normal-grade track connected to the Lake Whatcom Railroad that lead along the north shore. That portion of the line has long since been decommissioned and 3.2 miles of it is now a very popular lakeside path starting from the eastern end of Northshore Drive. Update: Based on the 1918 map showing the location of the old mill, I drove the main Anderson Mt road on December 21 1.2 miles past the lower gate and turned onto the first right-side drivable road. I drove to its end just before Dry Creek at 1500'. I searched in the woods from there uphill in forest to about 1580' and downhill to about 1380' looking for evidence of the buildings the map showed were once there. Although I found a couple of fairly level places without ancient large stumps west of the present road, indicating there might once have been buildings nestled there, I found no positive evidence of a small settlement: no rusty metal ( just one piece of cable probably from logging within the past few decades), no brick or concrete, no old stoves or rotting lumber or shingles.....nothing! With thick brush and recent logging activity, I found not a trace, other than hints of the old railroad grade from the north. I'd like to go back and search again. I think I was not quite in the right place, because even after about a century there ought to be some man-made things that haven't completely deteriorated. Old stuff is interesting. Update: in closely checking the 1918 Samish Lake map, there is an index contour labeled "1500" that is uphill of the named location for the shingle mill. I had therefore thought that the index contour extending through the settlement was 1400'. I was using an accurate altimeter calibrated that morning and both a photocopy of the 1918 Samish Lake 15' map and a 1998 Alger 7.5' map. Wrong! That 1500' contour is mismarked and is actually 1600', so I was focusing my search too far down the hill ( south). Now I will go back, maybe when the snow has melted but before the leaves return to the salmonberry bushes. I'll take pruners, too.

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostMon Dec 26, 2016 10:12 am 
I returned on December 7 and hiked the PNT from the west to the top of Anderson Mountain.There was minimal snow right from the trailhead and about 1 foot on top. The trail is easy to follow. One place you can go wrong is at about 1 mile up from the start on a switchbacking logging road, go LEFT, still on road, until after about 100 yards you find the trail on right. You might be tempted to go right back at that road junction. (There is a lower place on the road where you do go right but it is at the first switchback). Most other places on the PNT are marked with conspicuous white paint stripes on trees or stumps. The final 100' to the summit is steep and challenging with snowshoes on, although it is not at all exposed. It might be better with more snow like there is up there now and probably will remain for much of this winter.

Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostMon Dec 26, 2016 6:57 pm 
Hi BB. I think I know why you were having difficulty finding the Alger Shingle mill site. From your description in sounds like you were at 1500' on the Parson's creek drainage. The creek road crossing was just recently removed and blocked here in the last 2 years. My approach traveled 3 miles uphill on the main road to the large quarry. Park at the quarry and work from the north end south-southeast on the obvious overgrown road. The rail grade is very difficult to discern but parallels the overgrown road slightly west in the depression before the steep 30' quarry walls are reached. This area was thinned fairly recently and the resulting slash makes for very tough going. The best route follows the overgrown road to the east. Check out Google Earth. Both the overgrown road and the rail grade are visible. One can travel southwest from the site over the small ridge through easier terrain and pick up an old quad trail back to the main road. Gotta love a challenge!

Brushbuffalo

Brushbuffalo
PostMon Dec 26, 2016 8:43 pm 
Actually, Anatoli, I was at the end of the drivable road at Dry Creek, having passed Parson's Creek lower down. However I will next try the approach you recommend. I poked around on that quad trail for maybe 1/4 mile on another day, but didn't get as far as near the mill site. What's some more brush and slash? winksmile.gif

Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 11:08 am 
Visited the Alger Mill site 12/27. Parked at the quarry in about 2 feet of snow. Love my approach Jeep! Stumbled through the tangle and made a small discovery. It appears that the overgrown road, if followed to the creek, circles back to the mill site and the rail grade tail track. The maps show the mill buildings on each side of the tail track with the residences at the northern end of the complex. I believe that the abandoned road was the route used to supply the cedar bolts to the south end of the mill. Probably by either horsecart or tramway. The material flow through the mill would have been south to north, finished product being loaded on railcars to be lowered down the incline 1 mile north. I also have a photo of the Dry Creek railroad trestle during construction, said to be 108 feet tall. Am not sure of this location but Google earth provides some clues. Lidar would really help locate this feature. It may have continued the railgrade across Dry Creek adjacent to the mill site but I won't know until I can investigate further. The small canyon is dangerous to explore in these conditions. Another likely trestle location is at the creek crossing at the end of the drivable road system about 1.5 miles southeast. As BB mentioned, there were other railroads accessing Alger Mountain (Anderson Mountain). One began near Wickersham and contoured southwest to switchback up the southern aspect of the mountain. The current road system uses much of this grade. The high trestle will be where the grade crosses Dry Creek.

Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 am 
An additional note re: Anderson Mountain summit. I found mention of the Wickersham Lookout (1941) on Anderson Mountain and searched for it. Made a passable deer trail north from the popular summit viewpoint, down into an interesting sackung, and up to the next knob. Could not locate any physical evidence of the 90' tower, supports, or access trail. No views from here. Will need to just keep looking....