Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Why Cycling is Bad for Bone Density and How You Can Improve
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 12:02 pm 
Very good article from the folks at TrainingPeaks. All cyclists should read this - I know that several nwhikers are also cyclists. I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether you were already aware of this problem, and what you do about it in your own life. What the Research Shows If you are a road cyclist, especially if you train hard or have been training for multiple years, you are more likely to develop osteopenia or osteoporosis. This puts you at a higher risk for fractures; a risk that continues to go up with age and training. More masters were classified as osteoporotic compared to age-matched, non-athletes, and the percentage of these increased significantly after a seven-year period.1 So, for those of you in this category, you are not only more likely to be at risk, but the risk factor is higher as you complete more years of cycling training. In 2012, there was an extensive review of 31 studies on the subject2. The findings were that adult road cyclists who train regularly have significantly low bone mineral density in key regions. This was found to be true when comparing the cyclists to control populations of both athletes in other sports as well as non-athletes. Areas of the lumbar spine, pelvic and hip regions, and femoral neck were all key areas found to have lower values in road cyclists than the controls.
http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/why-cycling-is-bad-for-bone-density-and-how-you-can-improve-it

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 1:29 pm 
Good article. Note however that they said mountain bikers don't seem to have this issue... and especially if you're doing heavy duty single track in the actual mountains, there's so much hike-a-bike/carry-a-bike that you may as well count it as cross training, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
RichP

RichP
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 2:32 pm 
Interesting. I never thought of cycling as being a non-weight bearing activity but it makes sense.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 3:36 pm 
I'm struggling to make sense of some of their logic. For example, the article says:
Quote:
1. Cycling is Non-Weight Bearing The primary reason for cyclists having low bone density is that it is a non-weight bearing activity. High level cycling in particular has been shown to have negative effects on bone strength because of the amount of time cyclists spend training and riding. You are spending a lot of time seated, with no compression forces on your spine and pelvis. Even though it may feel like you are pedaling hard at times, the forces you are putting into the pedals are not distributed in a way that puts significant strain on your bones, which is needed for bone growth.
I can see where cycling would not be weight bearing, so it might not be helpful for bone-strengthening, but how would it be harmful? Note that they're not talking about trading cycling for other exercise, just cycling in and of itself. They also say:
Quote:
3. Low Body Mass Cyclists are generally lighter, and low body mass is also a risk factor for osteoporosis and osteopenia. This especially applies to women (who in general have lower body mass) as well as to cyclists who are consistently striving to obtain a low body weight in order to improve performance.
So being lean (and presumably strong since cycling is good exercise) is a bad thing? I understand that higher weight means more stress on the bones, which means stronger bones, but if the alternative is being fat and heavy and therefore possessing stronger bones, it seems like a high price to pay for those strong bones. It would make more sense to me if they just recommended supplementing cycling with resistance exercise.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 3:42 pm 
Road cyclists seem to be worse off (for bone density) than couch potatoes. So it's not just that cycling is low impact and not weight bearing, because watching television is also low impact. The best theory I've heard is that cyclists sweat so much, and lose minerals through our sweat: Complicating the issue is yet another by-product of cycling: sweat. You can lose up to 200 milligrams of bone-building calcium in an hour as you soak your jersey on a hot ride. Put in long training miles each week and ride a century now and then, and you’ll deplete your body of so much calcium that it becomes harder and harder to replace, especially as you age. You can counteract this by fueling up on foods with plenty of calcium, but you may need more than just dietary adjustments. Frame Work: Build Bone Strength | Bicycling I think what they're saying is that although being lean is a good and healthy thing, it can also be a problem in combination with several risk factors for osteoporosis. If you're going to be light and you're going to ride a bike, you should be aware of the health problem associated with these things, and take up running or weight lifting to counteract it.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:20 pm 
Shucks, I read this just after finishing a 40 mile ride. I'll bet that backpacking would be a good antidote.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:52 pm 
Triathlon

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 10:38 pm 
I read many years ago that its not a matter of weight bearing, but impact that makes a difference. I think they are using wrong terminology, and really mean cycling is a low impact sport. Impact stimulates bone growth from what I read. The catch of course is that impact also tears down the joints and causes its own problems. It wasn't cycling that made me end up with a fused ankle. Mtn biking certainly has more impact than road biking. Life is a matter of balance. I try to balance. I road bike, mtn bike and hike. No running for me though. My body just does not like running. Hopefully my fused ankle will let me snowshoe and xc ski. Life is a matter of using it all to the max before dropping dead, but not falling apart prematurely. That is a tough line to dance along.

friluftsliv
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 6:20 am 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I'll bet that backpacking would be a good antidote.
This. I am amazed that backpacking was not mentioned. It is load bearing and bone jarring as you traverse rocky uneven trails/terrain and most definitely gives you balance training on uneven ground. Not to mention also stressing upper body bones as you plant a trekking pole on steep up hill/down hill sections. Maybe it is just that professional kinesiology researchers have not yet figured out a way to get funding by recommending that individuals should go out on a hike.

UGH

UGH
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 8:09 am 
Really. I've never heard such bull crap in a long time. I spend 1.5 hours a day on my bike getting fit and keeping the weight way down. As a result I'm in far better shape than over 90 percent of the people in my age bracket, almost all of whom are overweight slobs in comparison. There are so many health benefits to cycling that it's hard to know where to begin. And this yokel says that's bad? hihi.gif He probably munches twinkies and guzzles beer on the sofa in front of the teeee veeee during all his free time. As far as stress on the bones, the rest of my day is like everyone else's and my bones get all the normal stress they need. What they don't get is the bad stress of an overweight slob.
Navy salad wrote:
They also say:
Quote:
3. Low Body Mass Cyclists are generally lighter, and low body mass is also a risk factor for osteoporosis and osteopenia. This especially applies to women (who in general have lower body mass) as well as to cyclists who are consistently striving to obtain a low body weight in order to improve performance.
So being lean (and presumably strong since cycling is good exercise) is a bad thing? I understand that higher weight means more stress on the bones, which means stronger bones, but if the alternative is being fat and heavy and therefore possessing stronger bones, it seems like a high price to pay for those strong bones. It would make more sense to me if they just recommended supplementing cycling with resistance exercise.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
mike

mike
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 10:13 am 
A couple of data points. My dad rides about 100mi/wk ... until he took a couple of bad falls recently. Got T-boned in an intersection for a broken shoulder and hit an unmarked cons't hole in the pavement and badly broke his arm. He doesn't see as well as he used too, he's 93. Healing has been amazingly rapid and he'll be back in his bike soon.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 10:42 am 
UGH wrote:
And this yokel says that's bad? hihi.gif He probably munches twinkies and guzzles beer on the sofa in front of the teeee veeee during all his free time.
You completely misunderstood. The article doesn't say cycling is bad. Cycling is great! But it has a downside. People who ride bikes should know this, so we can do exercises to fix it. Not that it matters, but the lady who wrote that runs a spin class and does triathlon coaching.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 10:48 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Triathlon
Wow. RH just closed the circle on this thread and the title Ironman. 😎

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 10:53 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Riverside Laker wrote:
I'll bet that backpacking would be a good antidote.
This. I am amazed that backpacking was not mentioned. It is load bearing and bone jarring as you traverse rocky uneven trails/terrain and most definitely gives you balance training on uneven ground. Not to mention also stressing upper body bones as you plant a trekking pole on steep up hill/down hill sections. Maybe it is just that professional kinesiology researchers have not yet figured out a way to get funding by recommending that individuals should go out on a hike.
I love backpacking! It's all of the things cyclists should be doing to improve bone strength, so it's not just the incredible scenery, alpine sunsets, and quality time with good friends. If you ever need an excuse, you can say you have to go backpacking to fight osteoporosis. smile.gif Carrying heavy groceries and doing construction work and rock climbing and stocking shelves would also be good antidotes. And this is a private company that gets no government funding. It isn't a conspiracy that they didn't list every single thing, they gave us a good understanding of what's going on so that we can all recognize things in our own lives that we can do.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 12:50 pm 
mike wrote:
My dad rides about 100mi/wk ........ he's 93.
Not to hijack the thread, but this is totally AWESOME to hear!