Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Why Cycling is Bad for Bone Density and How You Can Improve
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 1:45 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
mike wrote:
My dad rides about 100mi/wk ........ he's 93.
Not to hijack the thread, but this is totally AWESOME to hear!
That is definitely some impressive genes to be inheriting! My Dad is 93 but would be lucky to keep a bike upright. Or even get a leg over the top tube. A long hike is about 100 feet for him.

friluftsliv
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostSun Nov 20, 2016 10:38 am 
mike wrote:
...My dad rides about 100mi/wk ... he's 93. Healing has been amazingly rapid and he'll be back in his bike soon.
MAAAAAD props for your dad! I wanna grow up to be like him... does he have any tips? biggrin.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSun Nov 20, 2016 2:54 pm 
And while we're on the subject of Mike's dad, does he hike much? How tough of a hike can he handle (I imagine he could handle a lot if he bikes 100 miles/week!)

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostSun Nov 20, 2016 10:33 pm 
Quote:
Included in this review were only a few studies involving amateur or low-level cyclists. Differences in bone mass were not found between the cyclists and controls when comparing with low level cyclists. However, studies that examined elite cyclists, or those training at high levels for numerous years, consistently found low bone mineral density in the elite and experienced cyclists.
I think this quote from the article is the key distinction- the lower bone densities are found in elite competitive cyclists. Which makes sense since my understanding is any high level competitive endurance activity is going to be catabolic- whether its marathons, triathlons or road biking. I think there's little to worry about in this regard if your biking consists of commuting to work or more casual, less intense exposure.

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostMon Nov 21, 2016 5:06 pm 
It's especially a problem for racing cyclists where it's a point of pride to spend as little time on your feet as possible during the season. They are also encouraged to be as light as possible and super lean diets paired with body-depleting training regimens means bone density is bound to suffer. When I stopped racing, I started trail running once a week in addition to occasional dayhikes and a few bp trips a year. I also bike commute about 45miles per day. I'm up 20lbs from my racing days but am still plenty lean. For sure, the regular running regimen helps with soreness and recovery from hiking and I'm a lot less worried about my bone density, though I have not had it tested.