Forum Index > Gear Talk > Got a pair of boots you're happy with and would recommend?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 1:15 pm 
My 15 year old pair of boots are beyond all reasonable repair at this point, so I'm looking for a new pair. I want a pair that's good for long days and could be used for alpine climbing were I to get into that more. Do you have boots you particularly like? Or tips on how to buy a boot?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 1:43 pm 
I've never been sorry I bought a lighter boot.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 2:41 pm 
My favorite boots, which I use for everything from day hikes to light 3-season mountaineering, are the LaSportiva Trango S EVO GTX. They are light enough for me to wnat to grab them for day trips, and they will also take a crampon. They provide good ankle support for when I try to carry too much on rough terrain, and they have kept my feet comfortable and dry for hours, even days, on snow and in rainy conditions. I have worn 3 pairs down to smooth soles and I do not have a single complaint. I don't limit myself to trails, or easy terrain so I appreciate the extra support, stability, and security they offer when the situation calls for it. I have only felt they were too heavy when I ran a couple miles in them...they can do a lot but just aren't running shoes Some folks will feel they are too heavy, or too stiff, for their purposes, but that is a subjective opinion. You must know yourself well enough to understand what you will demand from a boot and not the same type of boot will be appropriate for everyone. Next to being designed for the intended use, the most important thing is fit. Find someone who has been through a Phil Oren FitSystem program, or who can use a Brannock device properly and understands foot length, arch length, width, foot volume, and how to ask the right questions and listens to the responses to help a customer get a proper fit.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 3:16 pm 
I like my Keens (don't remember the model name) simply because the toe box is wider than most others I have tried. Others seem to be too narrow and will rub the hell out of my little and big toes.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 5:40 pm 
Pretty much use trail runners or approach shoes now but, have Scarps for hard core.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 6:51 pm 
Limmer Ultra-Lights and Limmer Lightweights. http://www.limmerboot.com/#

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
GC99

GC99
PostThu Nov 17, 2016 7:33 pm 
The Salewa Rapace gtx has worked great for me, especially with my wider foot. They seem to stay fairly cool in the heat and have a good tread. The only issue I've had with them is that a couple of the little hooks on the sides that hold the laces broke, but I think that might be due to my use of them.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 8:56 am 
Queries for boot advice evokes responses reminiscent of Ford/Chevy/Dodge fist fights in high school.
asdf wrote:
could be used for alpine climbing
For general mountaineering get a torsionally stiff boot for edging and crampon use. Good fit is required, of course. Note that feet swell at altitude and on long trips. I prefer a leather upper for durability in talus and scree, while others like synthetic uppers. The Trango S Evo Shenk recommends is a nice synthetic upper light mountaineering (LM) boot, runs narrow and low volume. Scarpa Charmoz is a similar synthetic boot with wider forefoot and more volume. Trango S and Charmoz are the two most popular LM boots I see up high. My favorite general mountaineering boot is the Scarpa SL Active, a leather upper non-GTX* boot with more forefoot room and a wee bit more fore-aft roundish flex than the Trango and Charmoz. (Note that Scarpa markets the SL as a backpacking boot, but it is plenty o' boot for general mountaineering.) The SL Active is in a class of boots that are torsionally stiff but have a bit of round fore-aft flex, reminiscent of classic 3/4 shank mountaineering boots (e.g., Raichle Montagna) but perform much better because the midsole does not "kink out" like old 3/4 steel shank boots. Some people use somewhat softer boots for general mountaineering, e.g., Scarpa Zanskar, Asolo 520, and do fine. This class of boots is on the softer end of UK-rated B1 boot (see below), and work fine with a hinged strap-on crampons. If you plan to do routes with extended front-pointing, start a new thread re technical mountaineering boots. In the UK boots are classified: -- B0: flexible and comfortable, not suitable for crampons, okay with microspikes -- B1: suitable for hinged (C1) crampons, a bit of round fore-aft flex, torsionally stiff -- B2: suitable for step-in-at-the-heel/strap-at-the-front (C2) crampons, wee bit of fore-aft flex -- B3: suitable for full step-in (C3) crampons, very stiff fore-aft, best for front-pointing IMO, it'd be nice if the U.S. adopted the UK rating system. *I have had bad experience with GTX (GoreTex) boots, as have some other NWHikers (membrane rips after a few months, lets water in but takes forever to dry). IME, non-GTX boots also breathe better and run cooler in hot weather. Other people like GTX boots and for whatever reason most LM boots have GTX liners, although non-GTX boots are available if you shop around.

asdf

asdf
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 9:23 am 
Thanks for the help folks. Got some good ideas here to try.out.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 2:17 pm 
I currently have a new unused pair of Asolo TPS 520 GV That I will sell you for $180. New they are between $260 - $300 with tax and shipping. The left boot is men's US size 10.5 wide and the right boot is US size 10.0 wide.
front
front
back
back
bottom
bottom

mike

mike
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 2:48 pm 
Too bad we're not the same size. My left foot is bigger. biggrin.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 3:50 pm 
mike wrote:
Too bad we're not the same size. My left foot is bigger. biggrin.gif
Actually there is a member on this forum that has a mirror image of my size problem and inquired about my last pair of mis-matched boot sizes. But I had already sold them to a guy on ebay. Now neither one of those guys are interested in this pair so they are listed on ebay as we speak. I used to just buy the larger pair and adjust the small foot with a thicker sock. But I am getting too old for this s**t. Now I just get both pairs and take my chances on selling one pair. If not, I use them with the sock fix.

kawi_200

kawi_200
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 6:43 pm 
I have a pair of Salomon boots that have slowly become my winter boots. I bought them at first because they were recommended for multi night trips. But as I started getting more into hiking and backpacking I have been learning to go with lighter shoes. These keep my feet warm in the winter. But while snowshoeing I have had lots of foot sweat pooled up to the point I had to dump it out and wring my socks. They are similar to the ones in the link below. I think the thing that stands out the most about my boots is the traction. Even on slick rocks or wet logs I have very good traction. I think it is the thing I love the most about them. https://www.rei.com/product/847736/salomon-comet-3d-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

Wait, there is a 6am?!?!
christensent

christensent
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 8:23 pm 
For me it's either sneakers or Nepal Evo (or substitute with a full seamless leather hiking boot if doing non-technical objectives for slightly more comfort). Modern footwear is complete garbage in my view and just throwing away money. If it's not full seamless leather, it's not waterproof in Washington. It will be for the first few days of use, then the goretex and DWR wears out and it's just a broken modern marvel with a thousand seams and turns into a puddle inside. I went through that cycle for a while and decided I didn't want to buy new boots every year and realized how great dry feet are. There's not a lot of options, but there are several manufacturers putting out full leather boots in both the mountaineering and hiking styles.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Nov 19, 2016 1:54 pm 
christensent wrote:
If it's not full seamless leather, it's not waterproof in Washington.
Agree. My Scarpa SL Actives treated with Obenauf's LP are more weatherproof than any of the 20+ GTX boots (after a couple months of use when the membrane fails) I've had over the years. And they breathe better. The only great thing about Gore footwear is Gore's excellent marketing.
christensent wrote:
There's not a lot of options, but there are several manufacturers putting out full leather boots in both the mountaineering and hiking styles.
Yup, full leather non-GTX mountain boots are available, but you gotta look for them. Examples are LaSportiva Makalu and Karakorum, Scarpa SL Active and some Meindl models. (I think Meindl makes the Limmer Ultra-light.) Non-GTX "hillwalking" B1 boots are very popular in UK and I am thus confident that Scarpa, LaSportiva and Miendl will continue making them.