Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Forest Trail Handbook, 1935 Revision, USFS
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Nov 18, 2016 4:11 pm 
Link to old trail construction, and some maintenance, handbook: http://www.foresthistory.org/ASPNET/Publications/forest_trail/index.htm I put it in history as a number of methods are the opposite of current practice. Published in '35, so presumably representing rewrite work in '33 or '34. I wonder if events on the ground rapidly overtook recommend practice. The standard trail is the way trail. This is cut out, and marked with blazes, but except where absolutely necessary no tread is built. Assumption is money (labor) limits work below miles that can be built and kept open. No mention of CCC is made. Labor scarcity/labor excess may already have flip flopped by publication date. I like this book as it explains oddities I've seen sometimes.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Dec 01, 2016 7:46 pm 
I was talking to a 90 year old Forest Service retiree. He was in on a lot of trail work and said many miles were built to access fires because there wasn't much of a recreation budget. Sometimes, they kept the fire going a while so they could get more trail in. Creative financing.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostThu Dec 01, 2016 9:54 pm 
There are only a few mentions of temporary side trails to fires. One directive was no blazes on trees. Makes sense. Other was during maintenance being sure to burn or bury any temp signs to fires. I'm not surprised about using open fire budget to further administrative goals. There used to be a line about being able to see if an RD had had good sized project fire in the last couple years by looking in the fire cache. More new saws, new pumps, lots of barely used hose, nozzles, brass. Project fire aftermath. I suspect more use of centralized NIFC/BIFC cache has reduced this over the years. Wasn't it fun that both that term "stone ducks" is at least that old, and that in the '30's the FS was advocating their use? Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!