Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Study: Protected Forests on Public Land Burn Less Severely Than Logged Areas
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 7:30 pm 
Protected Forests on Public Land Burn Less Severely Than Logged Areas Abstract (Excerpt) There is a widespread view among land managers and others that the protected status of many forestlands in the western United States corresponds with higher fire severity levels due to historical restrictions on logging that contribute to greater amounts of biomass and fuel loading in less intensively managed areas, particularly after decades of fire suppression. This view has led to recent proposals—both administrative and legislative—to reduce or eliminate forest protections and increase some forms of logging based on the belief that restrictions on active management have increased fire severity. Conclusion (Excerpt) In general, our findings—that forests with the highest levels of protection from logging tend to burn least severely—suggest a need for managers and policymakers to rethink current forest and fire management direction, particularly proposals that seek to weaken forest protections or suspend environmental laws ostensibly to facilitate a more extensive and industrial forest–fire management regime. Such approaches would likely achieve the opposite of their intended consequences and would degrade complex early seral forests (DellaSala et al. 2015).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 9:07 pm 
Ye know not what kind of flame war ye have started...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm 
What a large project the authors undertook. I'm curious to see how this is recieved over time.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
WANative

WANative
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 1:43 am 
I'll take the bait. The authors are both highly educated and very stupid at the same time and clearly, also have an agenda. They think "decision makers" as they call them don't have two eyes with which they can see things. Notice how the authors don't provide any "on the ground" photos and information showing specific examples to support their case. In their world of stupid correlation=causation. Here is why the authors and this study are stupid: 1) Protected forests are generally old-growth forests. Old growth forests are fire tolerant. Selective thinning helps newer forests develop old-growth forest characteristics. Selective thinning is management. 2) We need logs. Harvesting of trees for commercial use is a necessary part of life. I can't imagine the authors are sitting in mud huts using shaman powers to float above the earth to do this study. They used computers while they sat inside wooden or concrete structures with the heat on full blast. If they had gotten up and gone outside and looked at some forests they wouldn't even have bothered to author such an ignorant, stupid study. 3) Selective logging and clearcutting perform the same function as fire only the air doesn't get polluted and we get some wood out of the deal. Idiots. Perhaps they are just young? Yellowstone was a protected old-growth forest in a park and burned all to hell in 90's. An intelligent person would recognize that because of Yellowstone's high elevation, it's trees are stunted and their size density tends to mimic middle-aged forests cut at the turn of the century and in the 50's and 60's which are causing problems now at the lower elevations. And of course the parks long time record of fire suppression which kept fire from doing the same thing clearcutting and selective cutting does.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 11:14 am 
JVesquire wrote:
Ye know not what kind of flame war ye have started...
Standby for incoming from treeswarper.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 11:31 am 
WANative wrote:
1) Protected forests are generally old-growth forests. Old growth forests are fire tolerant. Selective thinning helps newer forests develop old-growth forest characteristics. Selective thinning is management.
Your statement pretty much supports the author's conclusion. Old growth (i.e. unlogged) forests are more fire tolerant than logged forests. Period.
WANative wrote:
2) We need logs. Harvesting of trees for commercial use is a necessary part of life. I can't imagine the authors are sitting in mud huts using shaman powers to float above the earth to do this study. They used computers while they sat inside wooden or concrete structures with the heat on full blast. If they had gotten up and gone outside and looked at some forests they wouldn't even have bothered to author such an ignorant, stupid study.
Needing logs has nothing to do with the study. So you disagree with science and the math and we should all believe opinion holds greater value than a "stupid" scientific study by "idiot" people. Okay. BTW, concrete doesn't come from forests hmmm.gif
WANative wrote:
3) Selective logging and clearcutting perform the same function as fire only the air doesn't get polluted and we get some wood out of the deal.
Selective logging and clearcutting clearly do not perform the same function as fire. Selective logging and clearcutting are commercial activities intended to extract resources from a forest with the intent of generating profit. The notion of "forest management through logging" was developed in reaction to concerns over excessive logging. Fire has no intended function, but is a natural occurrence to which forest biomes have adapted over 100's of millions of years. Again, opinion seems to hold value over science because the scientific findings don't fit your desired narrative.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 12:50 pm 
WANative, this is a scientific study, not a diatribe for or against logging. It is researched and written as other scientific studies are researched and written. These people are not stupid. For anyone interested in more of a layperson's publication, check out the USFS Pacific NW Research station's Science Findings. I don't know that this particular subject has been written in that publication, but it's a good base for learning about a variety of science subjects.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 2:31 pm 
Ski wrote:
Curtis M. Bradley, Chad T. Hanson, and Dominick A. DellaSala, in the paper cited above wrote:
Recommendations have been made to increase logging as fuel reduction and decrease forest protections before wildland fire can be more extensively reintroduced on the landscape after decades of fire suppression (USDA Forest Service 2004, 2014, 2015, 2016).
Sorry, but I've read that sentence about 6 or 8 times, and it simply doesn't make sense. Maybe it's just me, but I would imagine a peer-reviewed paper would have been proof-read by somebody.
It makes sense to me; it's saying that it has been recommended to increase logging in management areas and that wilderness or other protections be lifted in order to introduce (artificially) wildfire. But my sentence pretty much says the same thing, so not sure if I make any sense.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:22 pm 
Ski wrote:
So... I'm a little puzzled, straydog.... is that a peer-reviewed paper?
Yes, it is peer reviewed as required by the ESA Ecosphere Journal . The article is neither pro or anti logging. It simply states that the assumption that managed forests experience less severe forest fires and that unmanaged forests are prone to more severe fires is an incorrect assumption. The current reasoning has been consistently used to promote the reduction or elimination of forest protections and should be reconsidered as overly simplistic in its assumptions about the relationship between forest protection and fire severity in fire management and policy.

straydog
slave to a monolith

straydog
slave to a monolith
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:27 pm 
Ski wrote:
Dig up their credentials (degrees in forestry or silviculture) and post them here and maybe I'll take another look at it. In the meantime, I have to dismiss it out of hand as more propaganda.
Their credentials are linked in the article. Clicky-linky.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 3:46 pm 
Ski wrote:
What really puzzled me was their "classification" of "protected areas". Why not just use the nomenclature currently in use? (i.e., "LSR", "matrix", whatever.)
Because LSR and matrix are too specific. Same reason we use the term "administratively withdrawn," which encompasses several mechanisms of land withdrawn from resource management. This paper can be used by public agencies and private concerns for making decisions.

Jake Neiffer

Jake Neiffer
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 pm 
Ski's correct, I believe. It's difficult to draw much of any conclusion from this study given the short time period. What we have seen is that when a fire passes through both treated and untreated stands the thinned areas fare better.
Quote:
Observational studies, experimental studies, and computer modeling studies have consistently shown that the risk of crown fire can be lowered if fuel loads are reduced, small-diameter trees are removed, and ladder fuels are minimized
https://nau.edu/eri/resources/for-policymakers/effects-of-thinning/

WANative

WANative
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 10:21 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
WANative, this is a scientific study, not a diatribe for or against logging. It is researched and written as other scientific studies are researched and written. These people are not stupid. For anyone interested in more of a layperson's publication, check out the USFS Pacific NW Research station's Science Findings. I don't know that this particular subject has been written in that publication, but it's a good base for learning about a variety of science subjects.
They are stupid. Here is why I think so. Based on this study we are supposed to conclude that: A middle-aged forest loaded with fuels won't burn as intensely as a similar forest that has had it's fuel loaded removed through thinning and cleaning up the forest floor. It's just stupid all around. Sorry to be so crass but it's all I can do not to put my head through the drywall like Kool-Aid when reading these kinds of wasteful, moronic and unhelpful studies.

WANative

WANative
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 10:26 pm 
100 acres thinned=$268,000.00 gross. After the logger and clean-up crews share it's a net zero sum. Loggers thin it out. The clean up "landscapes" the area by limbing the trees as high as their pruners can reach and then stacking it up the pruned limbs and whatever didn't make it to landing in piles. When it dries out they'll come through and drop a lit piece of tar paper into each stack and burn it all up. This study says I shouldn't do any of that. If fire comes through my property it will burn worse after having it thinned and cleaned up VS just having left it alone.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:27 am 
WANative wrote:
100 acres thinned=$268,000.00 gross. After the logger and clean-up crews share it's a net zero sum. Loggers thin it out. The clean up "landscapes" the area by limbing the trees as high as their pruners can reach and then stacking it up the pruned limbs and whatever didn't make it to landing in piles. When it dries out they'll come through and drop a lit piece of tar paper into each stack and burn it all up. This study says I shouldn't do any of that. If fire comes through my property it will burn worse after having it thinned and cleaned up VS just having left it alone.
I'm not even going to read it right now. It's probably something else that is well known but now available in a scientific paper to be used for propaganda. WANative, you and others need to realize that forests are not a one size fits all subject. The fire danger in our wet western forests after thinning is short lived. Slash breaks down quickly and keeps the soils fertile. On the east side, it's a different game. It isn't only you, a paper is written and it lay people think it covers all forests. Like enviro groups wanting only commercial thinning. Thinning is risky, depending on location. From what I understand, thinning units on our coast tend to blow over after harvest. Inland, there MAY be less of a risk, but stands take a few years to develop strong roots that the trees need to weather a storm. We have to take a risk and hope we don't get a wind event until that time. The same goes with slash and fire. The alternative is to not use wood or import all of it. That to me, is STUPID. We grow trees quite well here. We have the technology and I consider it to be a truly green industry. You may disagree. Lets compare it with what happens to the metals used in the computer equipment developed here? Why do we have to buy new phones every year? How many people move here to work in the tech industry? How much land must be cleared for their living and parking? How much water do they use? How much poop do they produce? Why isn't that being discussed instead of renewable forest management. Perhaps too many on here rely on the tech industry for employment??? paranoid.gif Sorry to have bored anyone.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities