Forum Index > Gear Talk > Hiking pole to fit in suitcase
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:27 pm 
Any recommendation for hiking poles that will break down to pieces no more than 19 inches so they will fit inside a suitcase?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 5:36 pm 
I really like my Black Diamond Z poles. Super compact. https://www.amazon.com/Black-Diamond-Distance-Z-Poles-Oxide/dp/B00LU1EBWG/

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:08 pm 
Black Diamond makes a whole series of poles (Z poles) that collapse short enough to fit in even carry on luggage.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:19 pm 
Thanks to you both. I'll check that out.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:21 pm 
Also, be advised TSA will not let you pack them in your carry on. Needs to be packed in checked luggage unless they have relaxed the rules: http://blog.tsa.gov/2014/05/tsa-travel-tips-travel-tips-for.html

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 pm 
Also be advised that while the z-poles meet your fold-down requirements, they have some annoying features that may or may not bother you as much as they do me. PM me if you want details.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 12:07 am 
Mine are carbon, and I did pack them in a carry on. Don't know if that made a difference in not raising a flag during the scan.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 8:51 am 
not sure of the size of your suitcase but if you pack them diagonally, it'll give you and extra couple of inches. And a little more if it is packed so that it is sloped from one corner to the opposite high corner of the bag. You might have already considered this but like I said, I don't know the dimensions of your bag.

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 am 
I wound up ordering Black Diamond Distance FLZ poles. It is interesting that the poles have some ability to adjust for length even though that does not happen where the sections connect.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 pm 
Joey wrote:
the poles have some ability to adjust for length even though that does not happen where the sections connect.
That's because the pole sections are connected via an internal tension member (Spectra, I think), a much lighter design than clamp hardware, and stiffer too. I really like the non-adjustable Z-poles, but didn't much like the top heavy swing weight of the adjustable Z-pole. Pics look like BD may have lightened the adjustment hardware.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 1:13 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
I really like the non-adjustable Z-poles, but didn't much like the top heavy swing weight of the adjustable Z-pole.
Curious about this comment, BigSteve. Seems to me high weight swings easier than low weight.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 1:56 pm 
texasbb wrote:
Curious about this comment, BigSteve. Seems to me high weight swings easier than low weight.
I'm talking about swing weight*, not static weight. COG towards the end of the lever = higher swing weight*. COG towards the grip = lower swing weight*. Adjustable Z-pole has higher static weight but lower swing weight* because the adjustment apparatus is located near the grip. Probably personal preference. I'm a skier, used to using a ski pole with a relatively heavier tip and basket (higher swing weight than lightweight tip and basket) which is "easier" for me. The lower static weight of the non-adjustable Z-pole also handles easier for me. I acknowledge that maybe other people prefer more ballast at the end of their arm. *ETA: I'm adopting the concept of swing weight from golf clubs. Measuring swing weight depends the location of the fulcrum along the lever, which is standardized for golf clubs. AFAIK there is no such standard for hiking or skiing poles.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 pm 
Joey wrote:
I wound up ordering Black Diamond Distance FLZ poles. It is interesting that the poles have some ability to adjust for length even though that does not happen where the sections connect.
Good choice. I actually have the adjustable version. Works great. Have not noticed any issues with them. I do not golf in the backcountry. clown.gif As far as TSA, you might get them thru security in a carry on without issues since they don't look like traditional trekking poles, but I'd hate to lose them so personally wouldn't take the risk.

uww

uww
PostWed Dec 07, 2016 10:45 pm 
My Costco specials fit in my suitcase- had to completely disassemble them and go diagonally. They were these ones: https://www.amazon.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Carbon-Trekking/dp/B007E0ZBZI They did break on me pretty quickly though, no more carbon for me. I liked them a lot until they broke. I got some real nice Leki as a gift instead, same design as the Z pole basically.

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostFri Dec 09, 2016 5:26 am 
Have the Black Diamond adjustable Z-poles also, bought them specifically for horse-packing to fit into the cantle bags. They work very well for that purpose, but I don't use them for "regular" hiking - prefer heftier poles like the BD Expedition.