Forum Index > Trip Reports > Exit 38 Night Snowshoe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 1:44 pm 
<Disclaimer -- No photos> John Wayne Trail - Olallie State Park 8 mi RT Snowshoe Last night was a great snowshoe along the John Wayne Trail from the Upper Twin Falls Parking Lot, passed the Exit 38 Climbing area and over to the Road heading back down to the Exit 38 Side Road. There was about a 1' to 1.5' of snow on the railroad grade. The trestles were wind-blasted and icy, but no trouble for the MSR Snowshoes... It felt pretty wild with the wind and the snow coming down last night. Each of the creek valleys that pour into the South Fork Snoqualmie were like full on Wind Tunnels. The flakes were large and it had a sense of Adventure, even though it was a railroad grade. Definitely going to start linking together other sections in Evening Snowshoes... Hope to get a photo or two... up.gif BTW, I left behind my pair of MSR Revo Trails in the Parking Lot of the Upper Twin Falls as I was struggling to unfreeze the locks of my Volvo... If anyone found them, let me know... Likely pick up a new pair as I cannot go through the winter without snowshoeing...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Dec 10, 2016 2:00 pm 
ridgewalker wrote:
BTW, I left behind my pair of MSR Revo Trails in the Parking Lot of the Upper Twin Falls as I was struggling to unfreeze the locks of my Volvo...
Sorry you left your snowshoes behind. A couple of years ago, I left behind my Black Diamond trekking poles at a trail head off Mt. Baker highway. I got up super early the next morning and drove all the way back up there. They were waiting for me. I hope you get yours back. Meanwhile how did your locks on your Volvo freeze? I am assuming you are referring to your door locks. Was there a freezing rain? And just how did you unfreeze them? That sounds like an interesting story with some good resource information. Thanks, ~z

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers

ridgewalker
Mountains and Rivers
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 9:56 am 
Seemed to be the locking mechanism in the door... Warmed it up with a Soto Pocket Torch... But was so excited I forgot to grab the Snowshoes... Went back... No dice, just foot prints where I left them... Oh well... New shoes on the way and a pair to borrow for tomorrow... Recently moved back from Flagstaff and have been missing Sedona and the Canyon... So can't miss anytime embracing the Winter here... :O)

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 11:00 am 
ridgewalker wrote:
Warmed it up with a Soto Pocket Torch..
Interesting. Never heard of it. I'll look that up. Thanks, ~z

SKS

SKS
PostMon Dec 12, 2016 8:18 am 
If it's the lock cylinder that freezes up, the keyhole, I've just pushed the key slightly in enough to open the flapper and blow into the hole to melt the ice. It adds more moisture but works temporarily until you can get some good deicer or lubricant into the lock.