Forum Index > Trip Reports > Incline Mountain Lookout Site
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 10:49 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
It has been hard to adjust from hiking like this in NZ
to hiking like this:

I tried to access Boistfort Peak, but this now requires a Weyerhaeuser Pe El South Permit for several hundred dollars.  I then tried to access Abernathy Mountain via both sides, but they now require the Weyerhaeuser Columbia Permit for a few hundred dollars.

Finally I found access to something, to Incline Mountain on DNR roads.  No gates but lots of snow and a car in the ditch kept me from attempting driving.  Rode my bike for several miles in the wheelwells of trucks.   There were tons of hunters and each one stoped to talk to me wondering what I was doing.  Many had words of encouragement while others thought they would save me by explaining how steep the roads and how far my target was.  At times, it was cute, other times it was annoying.  One guy even told me the lookout was still on the summit!  In time, I was further than them all, alone in the wilderness.  The last few miles were too deep to bike, and the last few hundred feet were almost deep enough for snowshoe time.

Without snow, you can get to within 1/4 mile.  The ride down was sweet and I did not crash.  In the bad parts, just put one foot out to the side like an outrigger.
Ready to go down
Ready to go down
My bike was almost covered with fresh snow.
My bike was almost covered with fresh snow.
Final 1/4 mile
Final 1/4 mile
Incline Lookout in 1954
Incline Lookout in 1954

O yes, some guy siphoned half my gas tank while I was out!  I talked to him at the start as I was leaving and he seemed a "bit off"

FULL TRIP REPORT HERE

--------------
Done with peakbagging, pretty much lookout bagging at this point.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic

Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 2:18 am 
up.gif  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
"Revolutions are not overnight. The heightist mindset has minimally a 100 year head start. Eventually the climbing community will embrace geocaching." -Paul Michelson
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob

WTA proponent.....
PostSun Dec 11, 2016 6:49 pm 
ditto.gif  cool.gif

--------------
"Altitude is its own reward"
John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Incline Mountain Lookout Site
  Happy Birthday tpeterson1959!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: