Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Kelsey Plum--UW women's basketball
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 2:31 pm 
trestle wrote:
Missed it live but caught the replay late at night. A game for the ages by Plum and another win for UW. I hope they have a long run in both tournaments but I worry about their reliance on perimeter shooting. They are going to miss the athleticism of Talia Walton but perhaps their improved shooting depth can carry them through. And I have to say, yet again, it was another poorly officiated PAC12 athletic contest. Across the board, sport to sport, gender to gender, the officiating in the PAC12 is horrible and a detriment to the student-athletes.
The 4th and 5th foul against Osahor looked bogus live, and looked bogus when I watched a recording of the game later. I think she only played about 5 minutes in the 2nd half before fouling out. Walton was a good player, I'm surprised they've been so much better during the regular season this year than last year despite losing her. But Plum and Osahor have both stepped up their game big time. Most of the season UW has gotten enough contributions among McDonald, Romeo, Collier, Corral and Johnson to take a little pressure off the big 2. But there have been games (Stanford, last night) when the rest of the team collectively does almost nothing. That could end their post season early if it happens again.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
trestle

trestle
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 7:15 pm 
Yes, that's what I'm afraid of. The Stanford game was telling but I do recall their historically low shooting that night. I think Osahor will benefit from the officiating in the NCAA tournament but the role players have to make their shots. I also think we tend to play a little looser away from Hec Ed, and our game is well suited to tournament play due to our deliberate style and controlled pace. It sounds like you've seen them play live a few times, so I have to ask: is Plum as talented in person as she appears on TV? Her game has evolved quite a bit, as well as her physique, and her basketball IQ also appears to be pretty high. What a tremendous player.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 10:48 pm 
trestle wrote:
It sounds like you've seen them play live a few times, so I have to ask: is Plum as talented in person as she appears on TV? Her game has evolved quite a bit, as well as her physique, and her basketball IQ also appears to be pretty high. What a tremendous player.
As far as I can tell, yes she's as talented in person as on TV. She has been simply amazing this year. I've done a good job of picking which games to go to. I've seen her score 44 twice, 39 and of course the record setting 57 yesterday.

gb

gb
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 9:07 am 
Holy smokes! 57 points? Wow.

gb

gb
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 7:44 pm 
Huskies play in Hec Edmundson and on PAC-12 Network (Comcast 431) at 8:30 tonight. Looking forward to it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 8:01 pm 
Hey gb tonight's game is actually at Key Arena. This week is the Pac 12 Conference Tournament. Seattle has been hosting the event the last several years.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Mar 03, 2017 11:43 pm 
Bummer, Huskies lost to the Quacks by 1. Plum had 34 but went cold at the end. Osahor had a monster game (27 freakin' rebounds!) and McDonald was pretty good, otherwise not much help from the other Huskies. Oregon was 11-23 behind the 3 point line and UW was a paltry 5-24. Now UW has to wait about a week to find out their placement in the NCAA Tournament.

gb

gb
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 8:15 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Bummer, Huskies lost to the Quacks by 1. Plum had 34 but went cold at the end. Osahor had a monster game (27 freakin' rebounds!) and McDonald was pretty good, otherwise not much help from the other Huskies. Oregon was 11-23 behind the 3 point line and UW was a paltry 5-24. Now UW has to wait about a week to find out their placement in the NCAA Tournament.
Oregon's victory was all about shooting and luck. They shot much better than their capabilities. The Huskies thoroughly outplayed Oregon after the first quarter but in the end of the 3rd and 4th periods they couldn't buy a bucket, despite good shots. Had they shot normally the Huskies should have won by 12-15 points.

JimK

JimK
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 9:24 am 
Having said all that, the Huskies were up by 8 and had the ball in the 4th quarter. A steal and three, a basket, and another three and within a few minutes it was tied. You have to win those games, especially at home. It was an entertaining game.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 am 
Yeah I give credit to the Ducks, they earned that one. The Huskies blitzed them to start the 3rd quarter (UW went from 5 down to up 7 in about 5 minutes). UO could've folded, but they hung in there. UO might have shot the ball way better than normal and obviously the Huskies 3 point shooting was way sub par for them, but that happens in basketball. I was impressed w/ UO's trio of guards Bando, Ionescu and Cazorla. All 3 made some big plays.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Mar 04, 2017 10:58 am 
The game was announced as the first sellout for a Pac 12 Tourney game at Key Arena. It was 9600+, I know the Key holds around 17,000 so they must block off the entire upper bowl of the arena.

trestle

trestle
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 7:42 am 
I believe they do the same for Storm games and it actually looks better than all the empty seats. Probably makes for better acoustics as well. Friday reminded me of the Stanford game from a month ago. Historically poor shooting from the role players let them down again. The sellout crowd was exciting to see but I think the team will play looser on the road, if they make it that far, in the NCAA tournament. The depth and level of play in the PAC12 this year is unprecedented, exciting to watch, and likely to produce the Finals contender for UConn.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
gb

gb
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 8:45 am 
gb wrote:
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Oregon's victory was all about shooting and luck. They shot much better than their capabilities. The Huskies thoroughly outplayed Oregon after the first quarter but in the end of the 3rd and 4th periods they couldn't buy a bucket, despite good shots. Had they shot normally the Huskies should have won by 12-15 points.
Oregon was 11/23 from 3pt range, Washington 5/24. Kelsey Plum started out 11/19 overall and ended 15/33. They couldn't shoot. Oregon's 3 pointer at the buzzer at the half was under pressure and missed by two feet, but banked off the backboard and went in. On another shot Bando fired from 10-12 feet past three point range. Give the Huskies an average shooting day and the way they played they would have slaughtered Oregon, even if the Ducks shot well above their capabilities as they did.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 11:35 am 
I agree, UW should've beaten UO. They also should've beaten Stanford a month ago or so, but they didn't. I'm concerned about the Huskies in the NCAA Tourney. The role players need to step up or they won't go very far. Oregon got off to a good start against Stanford last night, led 25-16 after 1 quarter. The rest of the game Stanford wore them down and thoroughly outplayed the Ducks, the Card won 71-56. The Ducks hit a high % of their 3 pointers against Stanford, but the Card simply weren't allowing them to get open looks from 3. Oregon was 5-6 from downtown. Only 6 3 point attempts in a whole game?! That's unbelievable. Bando, who torched the Huskies, didn't make 1 FG against Stanford. Suffice it to say Stanford played much, much better defense against Oregon than Washington did. Attendance was good again yesterday. Good to see the crowd didn't stay away after UW was eliminated. Listed at about 8800 in the box score. Stanford plays Oregon St. in the championship game tonight, should be a defensive oriented slugfest.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 am 
I just gotta say thanks to all who are participating in this thread. Women's sports sometimes struggle to get as much attention as they deserve. Glad there are some other fans out there.