Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Appliances Recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Badger

Badger
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 7:19 pm 
Decided to buy my parents a new fridge and dish washer. Would like to know what you have and your likes/dislikes. Also- if you could "redo" your decision what would it be? Why? etc... The Fridge is going to be a side by side since that is what they have and like. Thoughts? For the dish washer - no clue. Their current one sits under the counter. Must be simple to operate. Thoughts? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Bob Ps 70's here in AZ. Tomorrow- South mountain hike. No rain gear required. hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Dec 16, 2016 10:41 pm 
I used consumer reports to find the most electrically efficient fridge and washer dryer I could. Its been good for me so far. I got a normal 2 year warranty, and for 100.00 I got a five year extended warranty from Lowes. Normally I dont take the extended warranty. But with Lowes, they replace the unit for five years. For 100.00 that was a great deal.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 2:58 pm 
Just a thought or two on fridges. The latest designs have the freezer below and wide, roomy fridge above. The narrow side-by-side design in our house never seems to have enough room for big items. This might be better. Also saw some designs where the fridge has access to items in the door without opening the fridge fully. Seems like overdesign to me but might be an attractive feature to some.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 3:27 pm 
Make sure you measure cabinet depth before buying. Our cabinets weren't very deep so the only option for us was a counter depth fridge. See here: http://www.consumerreports.org/refrigerators/counter-depth-refrigerators-to-consider/ Unfortunately there are limited options for counter depth fridges and they can get pricey. We ended up getting a Samsung side by side which was the thinnest depth and reasonable cost. I think it's the same one in mentioned that report. It has served us well for the last 6 years. Of course, only go for a counter depth fridge if needed.

Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 3:46 pm 
If they use ice very much get a fridge with an ice maker.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 7:34 pm 
All I can effectively say is avoid Samsung. I have a fridge, washer, and dryer from them. Fridge has had constant problems since the factory warranty expired a couple years ago: water no longer flows to the ice maker, and the heating unit around the condenser seems to have failed in the main bay of the fridge, so I have to empty it and thaw it out, then open the back up and pick the ice away from the blower fan every couple of months - still haven't positively identified the problem but chances are it's just a sensor that's not working, so it should be a fairly simple fix. Also the filter for the water line is expensive. I've read of similar problems on multiple different models of fridges from them. The washer & dryer have actually been fine (so far), but my dad has the same model but previous generation, and the washer has died twice now for him. Couple all that with their recent record with their phones and tablets and you got a pretty good idea.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 7:55 pm 
A lot of the brands are made in the same plants. For example Kitchen Aid is a more expensive version of Whirlpool. Kenmore (Sears) is Whirlpool or Samsung. We got an LG after our old Kitchen Aid dishwasher died in a power outage fried the boards and replacements cost more than a new machine, so far so good. New ones do not last as long as the old ones. Costco has free delivery and installation at times. We also went to Lowes and they had free delivery and installation plus a credit if you got their no charge credit card which you did not need to use.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:08 pm 
I have never had anything but good experience with SamSung. Interesting. I chose them because they had the FEWEST warranty calls than any other appliance.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 8:52 pm 
I would take brand specific feedback with a grain of salt. More so than model specific. I mentioned the Samsung counter depth model as it's pretty much the only choice you have if you need the thinnest counter depth. Ours has been trouble free, although the LCD display is getting hard to read. When it comes to dishwashers there are a limited number of manufacturers as MC points out. When I replaced our dishwasher 3-4 years ago I recall the European models (Bosch) tended to be smaller and didn't offer heated dry while most of the non-European brands did. I have found heated dry isn't as important as using a drying agent but your parents may care about heated dry. Of the non-European brands I recall there were 2 different disposal types. One chewed up larger food waste and sent it out with the water but tended to clog more. Pick that type if your parents don't rinse before loading. We rinse our dishes before loading so chose the type that catches large waste (since there is never any). You can also get fancier models with more noise insulation or better efficiency (stainless tub).

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 9:50 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Kenmore (Sears) is Whirlpool or Samsung
or KitchenAid or LG or Frigidaire or . . . .

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 9:55 am 
The two friends I know who have Bosch dish washers love them. It my next purchase.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 10:41 am 
I have used GE profile series in both the houses we owned, and have had zero issues. I would stay away from the straight side by side refrigerator. I lived with one for a year and hated it. The freezer compartment is just too small. We have a bottom freezer and side by side doors on top. I like that format quite a bit. There's plenty of room in the freezer and two slide out shelf's as well. The side by side upper is nice as you can grab something quickly on one side. It also doesn't block access past the refrigerator at meal times as the doors aren't as wide when opened. The new dishwashers are quite a bit bigger inside, but it makes for a PITA install. There is very little room under the new dishwashers to connect the water and drain lines. If you get a free install on one of those, I would say yes in a hurry. (Unless you enjoy a 3/8 of inch of work space to jam you fingers into.)

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 12:05 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
The two friends I know who have Bosch dish washers love them. It my next purchase.
We had 2 Bosch dishwashers. The first one lasted 2 years and the second 1 year. The second one leaked all over the floor a week after we installed it and the repairman was out 2 or 3 times in the year we had it. We're going to redo the kitchen in the house we recently moved to and we've chosen KitchenAid this time. Our first Bosch purchase was based on the low noise level but all brands are now as quiet as Bosch. Bosch redesigned the racks between the 2 models and the second one was a ridiculous layout that wouldn't accommodate any of our dishes easily. I would never buy anything made by GE. I overcame my bias against them once in our last kitchen and bought a GE induction cooktop. About a month after the warranty expired the largest burner quit & the cost of replacing the circuit board for it was $2500 - the same as a new top. This was also just after we had signed the closing papers on selling the house. We had to go out and buy a new replacement. When we moved into this house our first purchase was a Whirlpool refrigerator with a bottom freezer built by Amana. It's the first double-door refrigerator we've had and it's a little more awkward than a single door but that's our only complaint. I disagree with Tom on models. There's a big variety in KitchenAid dishwashers, for example, and a couple are definitely much better than the others and not necessarily by price.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:00 pm 
Our new construction home came with Kenmore Elite appliances. The lineup: Kenmore Elite refrigerator = LG Kenmore Elite dishwasher = Kitchenaide Kenmore Elite slide-in gas range/convection oven = Samsung Kenmore Elite washer = LG Kenmore Elite dryer = LG Kenmore Elite chimney vent hood = some Italian manufacturer

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 3:21 pm 
Schroder wrote:
I disagree with Tom on models. There's a big variety in KitchenAid dishwashers, for example, and a couple are definitely much better than the others and not necessarily by price.
Oh, I didn't mean to say there wasn't a big variety. But when it comes to dishwashers you can break it down to some basic features and manufacturers. At the entry level you get plastic tub. With the higher quality dishwashers you get stainless tub (I would recommend). Beyond that you are really just choosing one of 3 major manufacturers, bells and whistles like higher quality racks, exterior finish, controls, etc.