Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Idaho Anniversary Hike
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hooker

hooker
PostSun Dec 18, 2016 9:31 pm 
Merry Christmas All! Recently relocated to Lewiston idaho from the I-5 Corridor. smile.gif Anyway The wife and I would like to spend our vacation time mid july in Idaho's back country! I gotta have fish to throw flies at and the wife loves to take pics of flowers and critters! Any suggestions? We love it here! Feels good. smile.gif Thanks for any suggestions. U

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSun Dec 18, 2016 10:14 pm 
Idaho Trails Association. http://www.idahotrailsassociation.org/hiking/ Joyeaux Noel.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
drilldaddyo

drilldaddyo
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 3:01 pm 
The Hells Canyon river trail on the Idaho side can be accessed most of the year through White Bird, Idaho though the road over to Pittsburg Landing might be snowy at the top. It's one of my favorite early season hikes. Other areas that are relatively close: The Wallowas of Eastern Oregon and the Blue Mountains of Washington. Hope this helps start you off. Randy

glenoid

glenoid
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 5:56 pm 
Hope you are enjoying your departure from the "Dark Side" so far..... For fishing and flowers on a backpack, you will find many places in Idaho. Check out the Falcon series for some ideas. I personally like Rich Landers, "100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" book. It has a lot of Idaho hikes included in it, though most are a bit north of your location. (The Lewiston Goodwill store has copies quite often.) Out of Lewiston you can head out quickly to the Selway-Bitterroot mountains, or go south to the Seven Devils for some heat and fishing....(Check out the recent post in the TR's for a Sawtooth trip.) Southeast Washington has the Blues and the Wenaha-Tucannon Wilderness. Not much for fishing, except there is good fly fishing on the Wenaha River. July will be hot, but water not yet a problem....Lots of flowers and animals though to see..... Great fishing, flowers, and some animals to see in the Wallowas. Fish are small but the scenery is grand...By July the majority of trails will be open, and a bit crowded. You could easily do a of week there doing some loops and fishing every day. You are about an hour to an hour and a half to the trailheads there. North Fork Asotin creek, Wenatchee guard station, and the trails south of me in Pomeroy, might be worth your time this winter.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 pm 
I'm not a fisherman, but there are lakes all over the mountains in Idaho and I'm pretty sure many of them are known to contain fish. Not so sure about wildflower hotspots. I've thoroughly enjoyed hiking and backpacking in several different areas of Idaho. Seven Devils near Riggins is cool. Several options for in and out trips and there is a loop option. The Bighorn Crags in the NE corner of the Frank Church-River of No Return Wilderness is gorgeous. Lakes aplenty. A bit of a chore getting to the campground where the trailhead is located. I think it's 60 miles from the nearest pavement by the route I traveled. Roads were good to start with but deteriorated the further I went. Still worth it though. The Sawtooths are excellent. Haven't seen nearly all of it, but Sawtooth Lake is gorgeous. The Alice Toxaway loop is really good. Redfish Lake Creek to Baron Lakes is nice. I haven't been to the White Cloud Mountains yet but those are supposed to be nice, several popular trails with lake bagging options. Wherever you end up going, enjoy!

hooker

hooker
PostSat Dec 24, 2016 11:17 pm 
Thanks for a good start y'all! I really Appreciate the tips! Merry Christmas Everybody!