Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Cost of NPS Senior Pass Going Up From $10 to $80
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 7:59 pm 
Link I already have one so it is not a personal issue for me. And while at $80 it is still worth it, that represents a 700% increase. In my mind that is too much. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 8:19 pm 
I wondered how long it would be before someone noticed what a great deal the senior pass was. As it turns out, not long.

reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 8:44 pm 
Originally the lifetime senior pass was free and it has been ten dollars for many years.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 8:54 pm 
Expect it to keep going up then becoming yearly. It was sponsored by Senator Bishop of Utah who wants to privatize federal land. Making the parks more expensive will reduce use making them easier to do away with. Interestingly, the legislation did not increase the Parks budget. huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Dec 20, 2016 9:53 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Expect it to keep going up then becoming yearly. It was sponsored by Senator Bishop of Utah who wants to privatize federal land. Making the parks more expensive will reduce use making them easier to do away with. Interestingly, the legislation did not increase the Parks budget. huh.gif
Exactly! I am afraid this is a preview of what is to come. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 8:46 am 
But if we don't raise fees on National Park Users, senior or otherwise -- how will the federal government be able to eliminate the estate tax on for those suffering families with more than $5.45 million in assets and thus create more "Paris Hiltons" ???

drm

drm
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 am 
Well, national parks are seen a little differently than other Federal land. Most calls to transfer land to the states or privatize focus on BLM land first, and maybe national forests. The "America's greatest idea" concept for national parks mostly insulates them from calls to privatize or sell, though it doesn't get them adequate funding. Even in Utah, the national parks are huge tourist draws, and they draw the people who spend a lot of money. Most likely this is just about money, about getting the parks more money without having to pull it from the general fund.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 9:53 am 
One would think so but understand Bishop is from Utah the heart of the movement to divest federal land. There are current moves increase resourve extractio in NPs including mining in Grand Canyon. The is a very active move to prevent Bears Ears from becoming a NP. Senior Passes are also good in NF, BLM, NF, and Wildlife Refuges. Remember the Bundys?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
trestle

trestle
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 10:38 am 
drm wrote:
Well, national parks are seen a little differently than other Federal land. Most calls to transfer land to the states or privatize focus on BLM land first, and maybe national forests. The "America's greatest idea" concept for national parks mostly insulates them from calls to privatize or sell, though it doesn't get them adequate funding. Even in Utah, the national parks are huge tourist draws, and they draw the people who spend a lot of money. Most likely this is just about money, about getting the parks more money without having to pull it from the general fund.
Apparently you haven't been paying attention to the Grand Canyon. The NPS is another sacred cow they're ready to sacrifice. rant.gif

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 11:18 am 
drm wrote:
As an abolitionist who is therefore in favor of "privatizing" everything the government "owns," I do NOT favor selling national parks. Simply make NPS a non-profit organization. Give each park its own autonomy to be part of that larger organization, or to go independent, or form their own. Enough people care about and use our national parks that they can and would survive being removed from the taxpayer teat. They would actually be far better for it by being truly responsible and responsive to their customers. Unfortunately, when republicans talk about "privatizing" things, what they really mean is handing over things that were paid for by coercive taxation to their cronies. This is NOT libertarian, in case anyone is under that impression, or hears these schemes described as such. BLM and National Forest land should be opened to homesteading by individuals NOT corporations based on occupancy and use. Handing them over to a different set of corrupt, greedy sociopaths (state or local governments) is barely better than FedZilla "owning" it.

WANative

WANative
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 12:42 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
But if we don't raise fees on National Park Users, senior or otherwise -- how will the federal government be able to eliminate the estate tax on for those suffering families with more than $5.45 million in assets and thus create more "Paris Hiltons" ???
People who don't use the parks shouldn't pay for them. It's not really fair to make Jose the landscaper working two jobs to make ends meet, pay more taxes so some rich widow on social security can go on a cheaper vacation.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 1:07 pm 
WANative wrote:
People who don't use the parks shouldn't pay for them
Are you limiting this logic to just parks, or can we apply this to other government subsidized entities like public education? I have no kids. So should I help pay for Jose's kids to go to school?

Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 1:27 pm 
Turning EVERY government agency into a non-profit organization and requiring them to persuade people to voluntarily fund them would be the ultimate expression of democracy.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 4:29 pm 
WANative wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
People who don't use the parks shouldn't pay for them. It's not really fair to make Jose the landscaper working two jobs to make ends meet, pay more taxes so some rich widow on social security can go on a cheaper vacation.
Literal minded much?

cefire

cefire
PostWed Dec 21, 2016 4:38 pm 
Klapton wrote:
They would actually be far better for it by being truly responsible and responsive to their customers.
But the large majority of their "customers" seem to want theme parks...Is the 'responsible' thing to bulldoze space for more golf courses and rides?