Forum Index > Trip Reports > Twin Peaks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Dec 25, 2016 7:33 pm 
My daughter was home for the holidays and wanted to get out, the weather around Pullman has all most been as brutal as Wenatchee lately with bitter cold, overcast, precipitation. I was surprised when I woke up Christmas Eve morning that the skies were clear and blue, single digits early, then in the teens at the end of the pavement up Number 2 Canyon Rd. We brought the kitchen sink as far as layers and winter gear and headed up the road at a quick pace to generate some heat. We left the road after awhile and took a draw which was surrounded by hoar frosted vegetation, then gained an adjacent ridge which was beautiful to hike through eventually nearing the summit with rime ice covering everything. Most of the hike your gaining the summit ridge from the East and at the top you get those expansive views West, but not this time, blue skies in the valley, not so much Westward. The summit lunch and tea time was fairly short with the cold, and then the sun was obscured by clouds and we needed to move to generate heat again. It was a nice hike back, though overcast, but any hike with Hannah is always great. smile.gif I can't believe she has never been up there before.
Cold Morning
Cold Morning
Up the ridge.
Up the ridge.
Twin Peaks West summit.
Twin Peaks West summit.
Hannah on a brisk summit.
Hannah on a brisk summit.
Twin Peaks W summit and looking West
Twin Peaks W summit and looking West
Windchill below zero on the East summit.
Windchill below zero on the East summit.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostSun Dec 25, 2016 7:38 pm 
Brr... looks cold but gotta love that clear air. Merry Christmas, Rob.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Dec 25, 2016 7:58 pm 
30's and sunshine will seem like Florida. Merry Christmas !

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSun Dec 25, 2016 8:32 pm 
That pano is purty!!! I'm hoping to get some views like that tomorrow morning, but I think I'll be mostly overcast. Thanks for the stoke, glad you were able to get out with your daughter! Merry Christmas!

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Dec 25, 2016 9:13 pm 
Looks like a nice outing in-spite of the wind chill. up.gif I can easily identify with that though. My daughter (and son-in-law) had me on the top of Mission Ridge skiing that morning. The views were so stunning I found it hard to complain about the cold. Always nice to get out with the kids. They keep you feeling young.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostMon Dec 26, 2016 10:40 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
Always nice to get out with the kids. They keep you feeling young.
Until the trip is over and your body reminds you they are young and you aren't. I am happy she is immersing herself in the out door world, it has been a good year for her, for both of us to be able to get out into the backcountry, and next year she quits her job and does the PCT. up.gif smile.gif

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostWed Feb 22, 2017 3:08 pm 
Is the road leading to the trailhead drivable by a front wheel drive car? If not, you seem familiar with the area, what would be something that kind of car could get to...don't mind hiking in a bit (2-3 miles) Familiar with snow hiking, no snow shoes Thanks

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 9:04 am 
Just drive up #2 canyon road to the end of the pavement and park in the wide spot there everyone else is parked. That road is always drive-able in any car. You would not want to take a two wheel car any further up that road under almost any seasonal conditions anyway.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostThu Feb 23, 2017 10:38 pm 
Do you need snowshoes or are the trails packed down?

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 7:16 am 
Dr. T wrote:
Do you need snowshoes or are the trails packed down?
Snow on the hills around Wenatchee is getting very consolidated with recent rain and warmer weather. The route to Twin Peaks from the #2 canyon side gets a lot of traffic so the track will be packed down. You could take snowshoes if you want to tromp around in crusty snow off track but I would take microspikes. Also, there is a plan to build a proper TH at the old homestead a mile or so up past the end of pavement. That means they will have to re-do that last section of deeply rutted road and it will greatly improve the area for recreation. I can't wait. There is a lot of good hiking up there almost year around.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostFri Feb 24, 2017 9:00 am 
Hopefully it won't get too popular Thanks for the info

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 7:00 pm 
I was able to get out there on Friday morning around 10...met the local guide and started up the trail Beautiful blue skies allowed for a 360 degree view of the entire east side of the cascades, there looked to be some stormy weather around the enchantments and possibly rain or snow on the south side, mt Lillian? Nice little nook for the locals smile.gif

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:50 pm 
Dr. T wrote:
...there looked to be some stormy weather around the enchantments
Glad you made it and hit a nice day. up.gif I saw my son-in-law Saturday night at a social event. He and some friends had planned to skin up into the Enchantments that day but turned around at Colchuck Lake because there was an inch or so of solid ice on everything, including the trees. I was a bit skeptical until he showed me photos of the area. I have never seen that kind of ice cover.

Dr. T

Dr. T
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 10:54 pm 
Do people camp up there during the winter? that reminds me to fill out the lottery form soon