Forum Index > Trail Talk > I hope you got some new mittens for Xmas.......
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 1:14 pm 
Amar Andalkar gives a good explanation of our wonderfully freakish snowfall at Mission. stuck.gif http://www.turns-all-year.com/skiing_snowboarding/trip_reports/index.php?topic=37461.0

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 2:21 pm 
I'd say we are having a normal winter this year. Below zero temps on the east side did not used to be abnormal--we seemed to have a cold snap or two every winter. Not having that happen seems abnormal to me. I have finished digging out of our second good snowfall so will expect more to occur.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 5:19 pm 
It's cold out here It's cold out here This is the arctic atmosphere -Henry David Thorough

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 9:23 am 
3 degrees with wide chill of -11 @ 0820 but we have blue skies. winksmile.gif Still not cold enough for my MH Absolute Zero mittens. Has to be brutal at elevation.

Living in the Anthropocene
gb

gb
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 7:22 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
Well, Mission Ridge won today's prize for new snow at 39" in the last 24 hours. Temperatures were brutal on top, -2 most of the day. Hit the Trail and I had some exhausting turns, mainly on the lower chairs. smile.gif In my 20 years of skiing at Mission, that was the biggest snowfall I had seen. And yes, I did wear my BD Mercury Mittens with a hand warmer and toe warmer by the thumb in each one. up.gif
Boy, that brings back memories. On December 19, 1967 we skied Mission Ridge with a temperature of -5F minimum and 24-48" of new snow. The new snow was so light you could be skiing at full speed on a groomed run and go directly into the unpacked deep snow at the edge - and not feel the transition. Thing is off-piste, the skiing was not very good - there was mediocre base and with the light snow you plowed right through the new snow to rocks. On December 22, the temperature ranged from 30-36 degrees with awful ungroomed wet soft snow and essentially unskiable breakable crust. We skied one run and managed to get a refund!

gb

gb
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 8:46 am 
although becoming less pertinent as temperatures aloft have warmed somewhat and the east winds decreased, it is worth having a rough feel for wind chill:
The coldest lately were -7F with a 78 MPH gust at Mission and 1F with 104MPH gust at Crystal. In the mid-70's I skied at Jackson with a temperature of -30F and wind at 45MPH in the top bowl of the tram. If the air temperature is above freezing, no matter what the wind, you can't freeze; but you can suffer effects of hypothermia more rapidly as windspeed increases.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 11:41 am 
It was 12 for today's low. The power went off. I love our PUD!! I called and left a message. They called right back and told me what was going on and said it would be a half hour--lines were down. A half hour later--POWER BACK ON!! I'd make their crew some cookies if I knew where they were going to be. I was worrying about the well house getting too cold and preparing to fire up a Little Buddy Heater for it. Indoors, the wood stove is churning out heat and it is almost too warm. I didn't ski there in 68/69 but heard that the snow at Mission Ridge was so deep that one could hop off the lift, half way up. I worked near Klamath Falls during a cold and snowy winter 1992?? You had to wear snow shoes or disappear.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human末animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 8:31 am 
The current warm up is very brief and interesting. Snoqualmie Pass remains in the low teens but temperatures shot up above freezing early this morning at both Baker and Paradise. Another batch of cool air makes it's way towards us beginning later Tuesday. But the airmass in SW'ern BC is not as cold as last week with the bulk of the Arctic air sliding off to the east. Northern and Eastern Washington will be quite cold for a few days. After mid-January it will get significantly warmer and you can put the mittens away. You probably won't even need them in BC as we should go quite warm and likely wet for awhile. Still, we haven't had a prolonged cold period like this for many years.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am 
yes indeed I have new gloves and a flannel scarf for my neck...the temps last week were in the minus twenties and gusty.. Today it is in the mid plus teens with an inch of new snow... a weather advisory is also in affect....back in my high school years I got up one morning, scraped the ice off the kitchen window and looked at the thermometer,,it read -50..there also was at least a foot of frozen snow on the ground and the wind is blowing...school is still open and there were two teachers and a total of 35 students for the day...none of the busses ran and only those who lived close enough came to school...

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 08, 2017 11:55 am 
I bundled up more than I thought I needed this morning. That was a good thing. It is 37 out which is warmer, but the wind is howling. I stopped to pick up some limbs on the road but then heard the dreaded cracking of more limbs so hurried on. It is not good to hesitate in an alder/cottonwood patch today. Now warming up in front of the stove.....

gb

gb
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 8:00 am 
Time to get those mitts out again, today for a couple of days. Baker yesterday hovered around 15F with winds to 10-20mph. Today is several degrees colder and mountain temperatures at Baker dropped to 6-7F in the nighttime hours. Time to wait until the winds die down.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:27 pm 
I wonder if we will need waders next week?

gb

gb
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 6:15 pm 
It's be-e-a-a-u-u-t-i-ful out there. NWAC: Brrrrr...Temperatures in the single digits to teens, ridgetop easterly winds averaging 30-50 mph in many locations, with gusts to 90 recorded at Crystal and Mission Ridge through Wednesday afternoon equals Brrrr.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 pm 
It was -22C with 14m/s winds (-8F , 30mph) when I was on Asahidake a couple weeks ago, but these mittens worked well for me. http://www.sierratradingpost.com/rpzn-core-thinsulate-mittens-insulated-for-men~p~173xn/ Too bad they are sold out!!