Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Going Gracefully Into Retirement?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 am 
My dad retired at 62, he is 90 now. He volunteered at the woodland park zoo until recently. He also help crew a friend's sailboat from Rhode Island to Seattle and then to Australia. And kept teaching skiing until he was 70. Played tennis twice a week. Keep busy, keep moving. From his experience, I would encourage retirees to downsize their living quarters sooner rather than later. My folks stayed in the house they raised their kids in until my mom's medical needs necessitated a move. Unfortunately this was also in the bottom of real estate market in 2008. Also they had 40 years of junk collected in the basement and the "kids bedrooms" that us kids needed to clear out. Personally I've already downsized from the house I raised my kids in. The savings in mortgage payments, real estate taxes and heating, etc costs are substantial.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 6:29 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
From his experience, I would encourage retirees to downsize their living quarters sooner rather than later.
ditto.gif For the love of everything, THIS. I'm faced with the possibility of both my parents passing far sooner than anyone anticipated, and I'm gonna be left dealing with the house + all the stuff. I honestly don't know how I'm going to sort all of it and keep working, it's that bad. They have a giant house with giant furniture, and we have a very small house with whatever found objects we've made do with over the years. We canNOT take much if anything, because if we're ever gonna retire (IF) we'll need to either 'shelter in place' or downsize even further. The crazy thing with their great big beautiful house is that even if it was GIVEN to us outright, just doing quick in-my-head math off what little they've told me about their bills suggests that taxes, heating, maintenance, etc would eat us alive. It's almost like our adult lives were lived in two completely different economies.... shakehead.gif

~Mom jeans on wheels
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 6:47 pm 
boot up wrote:
Biggest issue is working the budget around a fixed income, and really realizing the pot of money we have now is all we will ever have. Add to that an unknown time span that it has to last.
That is something I am definitely aware of, I have a decent savings, but not a lot considering the cost of living these days. Plus, one has to have self control, since it's easy to over-spend with more time on my hands. My property, being recreational, is taxed at only $40 per month...no water bill, no garbage, no phone, no pool, one pet.. My pension would have probably been 30% more if not for 911...we took a big hit since our pension is tied up in mutual funds, ect. One plus is that If your income is below $1300 per month, you qualify for state medical and dental, plus many prescriptions are free. I was also luck to be able to keep my regular doctor, normally they wouldn't accept my new insurance, but since I was already a patient, I'm good to go. Shop sales, you now have time! Found a fifth of Jack Daniels on sale today for $19 and no sin tax here in Idaho! souse.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 6:58 pm 
We never had a large home and we paid it off 15 years ago. We do have a large lot with a hiking trail on it. As soon as we retired we regarded the trail to PCT standards and added small decks with benches so we can enjoy it for years. We got rid of a lot of stuff when we moved to Canada and haven't got all of it replaced. We would not have been able to retire without the ACA hopefully we will still have that.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 9:33 pm 
Yes, downsize all the stuff you carry through life. Do it sooner than later! We forced the issue by moving to another state on a budget. Is is REALLY worth the cost of moving that? Where the heck will we put it in our smaller house? How long since I last used or looked at that. 31 years of collecting stuff, and that doesn't include needless stuff moved during a company paid move. I had literally a ton and a half of stuff dumped from whittling down the garage. And I did months of dumping stuff in the garbage cans. I think we made over 50 runs to nearby Goodwill drop stations, and I sold tons of stuff on Craigslist, at bargain prices but less stuff in our move and less stuff for our kids to deal with later. One of my thoughts during the huge effort to whittle down, was that I was glad to be doing it before I got old and infirm. Heck it was physically tough enough now. Lots of easy decisions before it got to the tough calls on what to toss. I am missing a few things and having to buy a couple of replacements for getting over zealous, but overall a nice feeling to have less stuff. My parents were a good lesson to me. My Dad is still alive at 92 and has never thrown out anything since we moved there when I was a kid in 1960. Myself and siblings hope he outlives us if for no other reason than dreading dealing with that mountain of junk.

friluftsliv
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Dec 29, 2016 10:28 pm 
One thing we noticed is you can rebuy most all your "precious" stuff at goodwill for next to nothing.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 1:54 am 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
I honestly don't know how I'm going to sort all of it and keep working, it's that bad
When we downsized my parents, one of my sisters revealed that she had been waiting 20 years to clean out the house... She did a meticulous job over two weeksand then had a garage sale. Which yielded $700 :/ My plan which both my sisters rejected was to hire a dumpster, and two trucks, one for goodwill and one for the stuff too move and then hire several "days workers" from outside home depot or some organization like the Millionaire's club. I would stand outside and as the day workers came out of the house with items and direct them to the appropriate truck. The key is not to have a lot of attachment to the stuff. An aquiantence of mine's deceased husband was a true pack rat , he even bought several cargo containers to store ju nk he collected. He's been gone two years and she's still chipping away carefully , but why? Most stuff is junk he got from Boeing Surplus.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:37 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
From his experience, I would encourage retirees to downsize their living quarters sooner rather than later.
+1 We actually upsized from a 900 SF West Seattle bungalow to a E o' crest 2000 SF ranch home, but due to Seattle hot market the latter was less expensive and it's new construction so we need not worry about repairs for 20 years or so. But, yeah, no doubt that time > stuff. As Thoreau said, as you travel the journey of life you are slowed by the burden of pushing your possessions before you. My bud (early retiree) used the term "Turtles" to describe those who are overly burdened by payments for a house larger, fancier and/or more expensive than they need, i.e., a turtle moves slowly through life because he carries his house on his back. I'm still working some, about 1/4 time or a bit less, just brought in a couple small projects. My wife, 8 years younger, is still working, but only 4 days a week with lots of vacation and professional workers over here have a much mellower view of work and work far fewer hours than the typical Seattle professional grunt. My stress level is lower than it has been in 30+ years.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 11:04 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
had a garage sale. Which yielded $700
It cracks me up how people store a few hundred dollars worth of junk in their garages, but their $30,000 car sits outside. I'd planned for retirement since my mid-20s, so it was easy to pull the plug. It only took 5 minutes to get used to it. Haven't been bored in 2 years. Watch out for over-volunteering.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 11:10 am 
My junk actually provides entertainment of sorts...I keep things that are broken and try (and usually try again and again) to fix them before I finally give up on them. I am what I refer to as an "Organized Hoarder" I enjoy going through my stuff, organizing and taking inventory. I will many times find items that are missing that I need. When I am bored and restless it keeps my hands and mind occupied and after the organizational chore is finished, I feel a sense of accomplishment. However, now given more time I am beginning to slowly downsize and get rid of things, I have made 2 trips to the landfill and have given some items away. For me it's a constant struggle over what to keep and what to discard, (kind of like playing rummy)....One has to be very care what one gets rid of, since it's nearly guaranteed you will need it in the near future, even though it might have been useless for years. shakehead.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 12:08 pm 
No worries, CJ, when the time comes that you discover you need something you gave away, eventually it or something similar will show up at a thrift store. Riverside Laker wrote "I'd planned for my retirement since my mid-20's, so it was easy to pull the plug. It only took 5 minutes to get used to it" SAME! up.gif I retired September 1, at age 63 11/12th, and haven't looked back for a minute. After almost 26 years working in the schools, I thought at least I might miss the kids, but for some mysterious reason, that hasn't happened. lol.gif

mike

mike
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 3:53 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am what I refer to as an "Organized Hoarder"
I resemble that smile.gif. Kids, friends, neighbors need any odd bit, mike has it! No need to drive to town.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 4:06 pm 
mike wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am what I refer to as an "Organized Hoarder"
I resemble that smile.gif. Kids, friends, neighbors need any odd bit, mike has it! No need to drive to town.
Yah, that's good because the drive to town can take a half day away. I've got quite a stash of stuff but it isn't organized. If I organize it, I will forget where it is--like not finding the Gorilla Tape today. I used regular duck tape. The Goodwill Store is a one hour--one way drive. Same with anything out of the very basic hardware wise category. I think most of us out here have a lot of junk because of that. I'm sorting through it, hoping to move.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 4:25 pm 
boot up wrote:
My Dad is still alive at 92 and has never thrown out anything since we moved there when I was a kid in 1960. Myself and siblings hope he outlives us if for no other reason than dreading dealing with that mountain of junk.
When my mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer that took her about 16 months later, the FIRST words out of her mouth after the doc broke the news was to my dad sitting next to her: "It looks like I won't have to deal with your garage after all!" I gotta hand it to her, it was the best worst joke ever.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Dec 30, 2016 8:13 pm 
My retirement was gradual. I started playing more and working less until I wasn't working any more. Health problems forced my wife into retirement and then we decided it was time to downsize from our 5 acres and a big house but we didn't have a plan. Just the logistics of moving out of the place we had lived for 40 years overwhelmed us. We were fortunate to have a realtor friend that spent 3 months with us helping us get rid of our accumulated belongings in 2 houses and 3 outbuildings. We sold the place and moved into an apartment for a year to get our bearings and figure out where we wanted to be next. It took us that long to find what we wanted, with a lot of compromises. We're not travelling or hiking as much as we hoped because my wife and I are taking turns with our health problems but we're still having fun. Stay as active as you can as long as you can.