Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best/easiest coffee for backpacking.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:27 pm 
You could call it Cowboy Folgers.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 11:15 pm 
captain jack wrote:
I miss it so much I pull out the percolator when I have time at home, on the weekends, instead of making drip.
smile.gif I do that too! I found an old aluminum pot at a thrift store for a buck-25. According to the sticker, it had been donated the day before. The clerk at the store was jealous - she was hoping to score it for herself that afternoon. I'm selfish and didn't offer it to her. Reminds me of drinking smoky, freshly perked coffee at camp with my dad. wub.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Pyrites

Pyrites
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 2:07 pm 
I carried the lightweight car camping perk pot for years for solo hiking. Throw away the insides, and a Svea 123 drops right in. Put in a piece of flannel first to keep it from rattling. If Bakelite handle gets hot, flannel becomes hot mitt. Cheap. I guess off topic, but eh, it's Saturday.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 11:45 pm 
I have tried almost every conceivable way to make good coffee in the backcountry. I have tried a couple brands of the coffee bags and was constantly disappointed in the flavor. I even bought tea bag blanks and filled them with my own coffee but it was unsatisfactory. I have used pour through cones, coffee socks, French press, cowboy, percolators, etc., etc., etc. Most were a pain in the heiny, messy. bulky, and heavy. I compromised and settled on Starbucks Via. It is pretty good and eliminates all downsides of the other methods. It's not perfect but good enough. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Waterman

Waterman
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:55 pm 
Melita coffee cone with #2 paper filters. why suffer with bad coffee, there are other methods that are simpler, but nowhere near as satisfying. Scatter the grounds, dry the paper cone and into the litter bag. Yeah I know pack it in pack it out. We are talking about coffee grounds not orange peels.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 1:31 pm 
Chocolate covered espresso beans...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 2:33 pm 
Waterman wrote:
Scatter the grounds, dry the paper cone and into the litter bag. Yeah I know pack it in pack it out. We are talking about coffee grounds not orange peels.
What is the difference between your coffee grounds waste and Orange peel waste which makes one OK to dump in the wilderness and the other not OK? Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 12:14 pm 
The difference? Orange peels can last several seasons. Coffee grounds are less durabil and are used in the garden. Am I being a hypocrite? Yes. I also have a habit of hauling out burnt foil,candy wrappers and other micro trash found alongside the trail and in many campsites. Not to mention items to numerous to mention.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 3:39 pm 
Well then, it seems as you are not opposed to carryingout stuff you didn't bring in so why not go all the way and carry out what you did haul in in the first place. I can attest it really is not that heavy to take out coffee grounds, especially from a drip filter. I know because it was the method of choice I used for a couple of years. Even for an eight day trip, it was not a huge extra load in my trash/garbage ziplock. I ain't gonna follow you around and scold you, but I kinda wish you wouldn't encourage others to leave their coffee grounds out in the backcountry. Rumi

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 4:08 pm 
RumiDude wrote:
I ain't gonna follow you around and scold you, but I kinda wish you wouldn't encourage others to leave their coffee grounds out in the backcountry.
I am not disagreeing, just curious: Given the nature of coffee grounds, and that they break down rapidly and readily, why is leaving them behind detrimental to the environment? Especially around an established camp with trodden ground that could probably use a little infusion of organic matter?

contour5

contour5
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:22 pm 
Quote:
Coffee grounds are less durabil and are used in the garden.
And what about Roundup? Lots of people spray glyphosate compounds all over their gardens. Does that make it okay to spray Roundup all over the campsites? Feel free to compost to your heart's content; at home, in your garden. However, the back country camps are not your garden. They are common use spaces, shared by all. I find coffee grounds- hurled into the bushes next to campsites- just as offensive and disturbing as any of the other garbage people leave around the camps. Please pack it all out. A bandana makes a pretty good coffee dryer. You can make a scrotum-shaped pouch filled with grounds, twist it tight, and squeeze out most of the water weight. A few minutes in strong sunlight will burn off most of the remaining moisture.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 12:55 am 
Schenk wrote:
RumiDude wrote:
I ain't gonna follow you around and scold you, but I kinda wish you wouldn't encourage others to leave their coffee grounds out in the backcountry.
I am not disagreeing, just curious: Given the nature of coffee grounds, and that they break down rapidly and readily, why is leaving them behind detrimental to the environment? Especially around an established camp with trodden ground that could probably use a little infusion of organic matter?
I would add to the remarks of contour5 that coffee grounds actually don't break down easily and rapidly unless they are mixed into the soil. Otherwise they just sit on top of the soil for a long time. This is especially true of mineral soils. In reality, scattering you coffee grounds is not any different than scattering your left-over chilli. I will only mention it slightly, but I would remind everyone "if everyone threw out their coffee grounds like you ..." Well you know the rest. And the bottom line is simply this, it really isn't a big deal to pack it out. So why not do just that? I commonly packed out all my coffee grounds along with the rest of my garbage/trash, for long trips, so I know it isn't much of a burden. If a person wants a fresh brewed cup of coffee, then they should be willing to pack out the grounds. If not, take Via or instant. Rumi

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:46 am 
Thanks, I was mainly just curious because I have never noticed coffee grounds strewn about in BC campsites.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:15 pm 
Schenk wrote:
I have never noticed coffee grounds strewn about in BC campsites.
Not to belabor the point too much, but I will. *smile* When I was a backcountry volunteer ranger for ONP, one of my duties was to clean fire rings. You would not believe all the crap I hauled out of those things, and that includes coffee grounds. People would throw tea bags, coffee cone filters, or just plain old cowboy coffee grounds into fires, supposing that it would burn up. But unless one is careful and diligent to have the right sort of fire, place things in the fire carefully, and tend to it so that everything burns completely, there is almost always parts which don't get incinerated. Stuff partially burns, falls into the ashes, and then never gets burned up. I had to pick out all the unburned trash and haul it out. I used to take and keep photos of all that crap, but I can't find any just now. As an aside of this aside, metalized packaging does NOT burn completely. This includes not only Mountain House and tuna foil packaging, but many candy wrappers. I know this is a little off topic, but it is related to this side discussion. Rumi EDIT: These observations came not from front country fire rings or camping areas close to the trailhead, but from camps deep in the interior of the park, twenty to thirty miles from the trailhead.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jan 27, 2017 7:49 pm 
The Starbucks Via packages are simply extremely fine ground coffee. They seem to stay suspended in the water, and leave no "Cowboys Grounds" to deal with. I not sure what other grinder are available to make your own really extremely fine ground coffee. I used to use a French Press in my Jet Boil, but found it too troublesome to cleanup in the backcountry. (Too much waster needed, and dealing with the grounds.) I been using the Via packages for a while. I can have a happy spouse if I bring the Instant Latte ones along for her.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau