Forum Index > Food & Grub > Best/easiest coffee for backpacking.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 9:21 am 
Has anybody tried Stoked Stix coffee . One thing that intrigues me about this is the the description implies you can dump the instant coffee into a steaming cup of hot water rather than put it in an empty cup and then pour in hot water. If you put Via into hot water the steam will gum up the coffee in the packet. That seems like a trivial point but I have been in situations where it would have made things easier.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jan 30, 2017 6:58 pm 
In Japan they have this figured out. They sell individual drip coffee packet/filter items that use well designed hanger that connects to either side of the cup and holds an open top filter bag of ground coffee in the center of the cup that you pour hot water into to brew a individual cup of coffee.
I was able to find it on Amazon here in the USA, but the price is ridiculous $19.43 for an eight pack. I paid more like 500 yen ($4.40USD) for an eight pack in a Sapporo grocery store.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jan 30, 2017 8:03 pm 
I happened to be over at Sportsman's Warehouse in East Wenatchee this weekend and saw them demonstrating a similar pour over coffee product called KUJU. They had a table set up giving out free samples. I didn't try it but I had him open a packet to see how it fit over a cup. It looked handy and may taste better than a VIA but was more than 4 times as expensive and much more bulky. Also, the reviews are not so hot.

MatoHota
Looking for a partne

MatoHota
Looking for a partne
PostTue Feb 07, 2017 5:39 pm 
Ah............................Coffee I bring a GSR Mini Hand Grinder and a Mini single shot Espresso Brewer! Some Dark Espresso Italian Roast Beans, and........................Lattes on the Trail. And Hoosier Farms powered heavy Cream for a Breve! I have also carried the instant Starbucks Italian Dark Roast, I get a 50 pack on Amazon for around $35-39, never buy them in the stores!

I travel the Good Red Road, I am a retired Tribal Wildlife Biologist, I am Sioux on my Fathers Side, and Kazahki on my Mothers side. Aho Mitakuye Oyasin
Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012

Trailhead
PCT Class of 2012
PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:10 am 
Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!

Wazzu_camper
Go Cougs!
PostMon Mar 13, 2017 3:13 pm 
I love VIA but I also like Starbucks, and if you get it on sale at Costco its pretty cheap. IMHO you really can't beat it.

TomFR

TomFR
PostWed Apr 05, 2017 1:10 pm 
+2 for Starbucks via as it's the easiest to prepare by far and tastes relatively good. I also think it lasts for much longer than the expiration date, so it's easy to keep on hand or store in my pack. Never a day without coffee.

"I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in it." W. C. Fields | Always searching for the best survival tools and log splitters.
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSun May 07, 2017 10:46 am 
We tried these on a recent overnight. https://www.iherb.com/pr/Mount-Hagen-Organic-Fairtrade-Instant-Coffee-25-Packets-1-76-oz-50-g/30264 Not bad for instant and way less expensive than Via. I'm not a fan of Via as it tastes burnt to me. So I prefer the taste of the Mt Hagan to Via, but the reverse is true for my wife. For car camping I have a portable hand grinder, so we take whole beans. I grind the beans as the water is heating. Once it's boiling, turn off the stove, dump the ground coffee into the water, stir, put the lid on, let steep for a minute or so, then filter using a 2 cup paper filter in one of those plastic cone thingy's.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood
pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 11:24 am 
Just got back from a car camp to and from southwestern CO and a backpack on the Colorado Trail while we were there. I'm liking this for coffee (as my prior post mentioned): https://www.iherb.com/pr/Mount-Hagen-Organic-Fairtrade-Instant-Coffee-25-Packets-1-76-oz-50-g/30264 I prefer it to Starbucks. It doesn't have the bitter/burnt taste that I don't care for in Starbucks. I just had a cup here at home (as a test, because food/drink always tastes better on a backpack!), and I still like it. I don't detect any of the "metallic" taste that some coffee drinkers say that every instant coffee has. So this will be my choice for backpacking coffee.

pimaCanyon

pimaCanyon
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 1:46 pm 
for those who want to continue to beat this dead horse: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/05/best-instant-coffee_n_1405887.html