Forum Index > Trail Talk > Surviving a night out in winter
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christensent

christensent
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:43 am 
You also need an app that can cache maps locally and remember to download them before each hike (I use backcountry navigator which is free as long as you put up with the ads). With the exception of providing coordinates to SAR, a GPS app is worthless if you haven't already downloaded the maps. Also, remember that cell phones are far from waterproof. If you use it much in a major storm it will almost certainly be destroyed. I double bag mine in zip-lock bags and it holds up but it's more difficult to see the screen. Cell phones are also far more likely to fail than a handheld GPS. Should have multiple people in a group have cell phones with maps loaded if going into poor weather conditions, or if solo carry both a cell phone GPS as well as a handheld GPS. I've had both styles break on trips due to water ingress.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:53 am 
christensent wrote:
With the exception of providing coordinates to SAR, a GPS app is worthless if you haven't already downloaded the maps.
For years I carried a Magellan GPS. It did not have any downloaded maps. But it did a fine job of displaying coordinates that I could use to find my position on the paper topo I carried.

Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 9:26 am 
Joey wrote:
It did not have any downloaded maps.
Ditto. I've used a GPS plenty, never with downloaded maps, always with paper maps. Typically I just mark a waypoint occasionally at landmarks; then I can always tell my current location relative to my waypoints.

CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:37 pm 
He was staying at Scottish high camp and snowshoed McCue ridge from there. He went down wrong side of ridge on way back and ended up in Chiwaukum creek drainage. I'm surprised he got cell reception there, I don't even get it along sections of hwy 2 in that area. Obviously gps would have saved him a lot of trouble, but just his compass should have indicated he was going in opposite direction. This story was even picked up by national media, they seem to love these "lost in the wilderness" stories.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:48 pm 
christensent wrote:
You need an app that can cache maps locally and remember to download them before each hike..........Also, remember that cell phones are far from waterproof. If you use it much in a major storm it will almost certainly be destroyed.
If you are willing to spend around $80 you can get a LifeProof case for your phone that will make it waterproof, dropproof, dirtproof, and snowproof. I have been using one of these for around five years now and can say all those claims are pretty much spot on. You would not believe some of the physical abuse my phone has seen. And it still works fine. Also, when I first got Gaia years ago I downloaded several map areas (Icicle, Chelan Sawtooths, Pasayten, Glacier Peak). I have never done a download since and have had maps for virtually all my hikes over the years. And I still have over half of my 16 Gigs of memory free. In my opnion, smart phone reliability and map downloads are not a real big issue. However, I always also carry a Delorme Inreach SE. And as Dave Allyn said above, when and if Garmin gives the Inreach a larger screen and the ability to download maps into the unit itself I will get one of those.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 4:55 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
you can get a LifeProof case for your phone
Not for my phone. Their selection outside of iPhones is pretty limited.

christensent

christensent
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:11 pm 
I've destroyed a waterproof handheld GPS with water ingress as well as a cell phone in a waterproof case. In both cases, one of the waterproof features wore out and broke. That's the problem with waterproof electronics. I've had the best luck with double zip-lock bags, you replace it every trip so they never wear out (if you try to re-use, your phone will get wet so don't try!). You can use the touchscreen through the bags, but photos don't work out.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
General ****

General ****
PostMon Jan 02, 2017 8:40 pm 
If you're not carrying fire making material, (on you), then you won't survive sub freezing weather when you'r caught outside, in the dark, cold and wet and it's freezing. Flint and steel lights even in the rain, spark it on steel wool, then add sliced small pieces of pitch wood, it burns even in the rain. Douglas Fir Pitch wood can be found sticking up upon an old douglas fir stump, it will be hard and brittle but burns hot and lights easily. GPS, compass, map, a whistle and God forbid, a fish hook will not keep you from freezing to death when your wet and cold. Fire, and only fire will do that. Ask me what survival tool I would want if I could only have one, flint & steel. You can buy them for 5 bucks and they work under any condition. Get yourself a piece of steel wool, strike it with a flint and steel and watch how quickly and hot it burns, a butane lighter without any fuel will also work. Oh, and it goes-without- saying, don't try this inside. It also does't hurt to carry a candle in your car for emergencies ether. It can warm the temperature 5-10 degrees in a car stuck in the snow and you find yourself with no cell service. General

The General primarily backpacks solo.
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 6:24 pm 
HitTheTrail wrote:
If you are willing to spend around $80 you can get a LifeProof case for your phone
I second the LifeProof recommendation. They're actually cheaper than $80 if you don't have the most recent phone model.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 7:16 pm 
Reminds me of the Paul Bunyan saga. The days of travelling without a GPS seem to be ending. The new generations that never have driven without a navigation system will want the same off road. Eventually, the idea of GPS-less travel will seem quaint but asocial. The gentleman handled the situation well. Glad he's ok.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 8:09 pm 
Hi Bernardo. I'm not too sure it's a generational thing. I'm 62 and have never driven with a navigation system. I got my first GPS a dozen or so years ago. Being on a mountain rescue group I thought I'd better learn how to use one. I started hiking several years ago with a friend who carries a map loaded GPS and I have come to appreciate the convenience and ease of using the electronic maps. Experience with the rescue group has also convinced me of their utility as a safety device for a typical hiker. Several months ago I broke down and got my first app for my phone, Gaia. Much cheaper than a nice GPS. I still carry my paper maps.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 8:48 pm 
Hi Dave, My point was that eventually almost everyone will be afraid to enter the woods without a GPS so it won't be necessary to convince them of the utility. It will be a while before the old timers like the axe wielding lumbermen of yore give in to modern technology completely however. Some born wild don't want to be tamed.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Jan 03, 2017 9:35 pm 
Not embracing technology can have some benefits. Car thieves have been know to abandon their effort when they see it has a standard transmission.

Euler

Euler
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 12:06 am 
Me too, kbatku. I don't like carrying a lot of stuff around, the bizzard bag and an inflatable pad are two things I take on every winter hike and many summer hikes.

W Fosmore

W Fosmore
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 12:56 pm 
Good day, this is Melody, wife of Wally who is the subject of this thread. We wanted to respond because we respect the intelligence of this group and have found many of the postings useful. We also wanted to fill in some obvious blanks in the story which has led to many of you conjecturing what happened. We hope this information will be helpful. Wally was never lost, he knew where he was. He was caught in a blinding snow squall and thought he was heading back to camp. He should have taken a compass reading but didn't and that was his second mistake, the first was being out after dark. Those of you who are very experienced can understand this level of confidence. Wally was in search and rescue for 4 years and knew what SAR was attempting to do on his behalf. He was a scoutmaster for 7 years and has had several trainings in winter camping and experiences. He has a lifetime of outdoors experiences and skills that served him well in that 30 hours. He did not plan to be out in the back country overnight but he was and he survived. We are all very grateful. We did not seek out the media - they literally came pounding at our door and condensed a hour long interview into a 90 second sound bite with the emphasis on drama. We were intentional to make the media be about promoting the 10 essentials and being prepared. We were not prepared for the amount of media or the negative comments made by those who seemed to think they knew what really happened. We appreciate the information about GPS maps and technology. Wally tends to be 'old school' and we believe that that base of knowledge continues to serve him well. The Sheriff said that while attempting to locate his phone throughout the day they kept getting odd signals that he was over at Lake Wenatchee because of the cell tower/mountain bounce. So we will upgrade our technology and learn how to use it but also keep the maps and compass handy. Until we can be 'beamed' up out the woods, the only way to survive a situation Wally found himself in was to walk out and keep his wits. And we are thankful he did. Thanks for listening. Keep safe in your adventures!