Forum Index > Trip Reports > Laguna Beach area hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MikeW

MikeW
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 1:22 pm 
While I know it's not the Pacific Northwest, I thought I'd post this trip report in case anyone is interested and heading down to southern California anytime soon. We spent a few days in Laguna Beach and enjoyed some nice hiking in the area. We checked out the following areas: Alta Laguna Park(aka "Top of the World"): My wife and I actually walked to this park from town(a steep, uphill, urban "hiking" experience past some really impressive homes). Views are fantastic on a clear day of the surrounding mountains, as well as the coast. Varying trail difficulties and options for everyone. Crystal Cove State Park: Just a few miles form Laguna Beach, this is a great park with camping options as well. We did a day hike--five mile loop that took in the Moro Ridge Trail and the Moro Canyon. Great place to hike, and you can spend the rest of the day on the beach that's also part of the park. Laguna Coast Wilderness Park: We did a short loop hike that encompassed Willow Canyon and Laurel Canyon. Again, nice views and scenery. We lucked out with weather, as it started raining the day we left. While I love the PNW(and excited to get back to cross country skiing), it was nice to get away for a few days and explore some new hiking trails. Photos are attached.
CrystalCoveCanyonTrail
CrystalCoveCanyonTrail
LCWildernessPark1
LCWildernessPark1

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Dec 31, 2016 9:42 pm 
Always nice to escape the PNW for a few days in the winter. Went to Laguna a few years ago with a buddy and bagged some real low hanging fruit. Good times.

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 4:22 pm 
Thanks for the report. I'm often in Laguna Beach at some point in the winter. Next time check out the Aliso Peak trail which starts off Valido Street near West Street. It's a nice short hike.

MikeW

MikeW
PostSun Jan 01, 2017 7:39 pm 
Thanks--I'll have to check out that other hike if I make it down there again!

Anish

Anish
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 11:58 pm 
Love all these trails! When I'm there I link the Crystal Cove side with the Laguna Canyon side (and even across to Top of the World and down through Aliso Cayon and up Niguel Hill) into epic all day runs. Amazing variety of canyons and scenery in such a small area and so close to town! Glad you got to explore some of my favorite OC trails.

"Our way is not soft grass. It's a mountain path with lots of rocks. But it goes upwards, forward, toward the sun." -Ruth Westheimer