Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > First total solar eclipse since 1979 in US mainland; Aug, 21, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 5:55 pm 
Oregon Governor mobilizes National Guard troops and aircraft for eclipse area..... http://www.opb.org/news/series/solar-eclipse-2017/oregon-national-guard-deploy/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 6:22 pm 
Are they going to shoot the moon clown.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Oregon Governor mobilizes National Guard troops and aircraft for eclipse area.....
This is not surprising. We did this in Washington State for the Y2K event. Widespread chaos was predicted if things didn't go well with the conversion of information systems from the 20th century to the 21st. The state emergency center was up and running and units were scattered around the state to be of assistance. (It was a relief when things went rather well, as I recall.) ~z

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostFri Jul 28, 2017 4:46 pm 
I wrote an article for ParentMap for the people who are staying in town and still want to experience the eclipse. https://www.parentmap.com/article/procrastinators-guide-eclipse-seattle-area And here's a GeekWire article with links to a bunch of events put on by public libraries around town: https://www.geekwire.com/2017/got-eclipse-glasses-heres-get-em/ Trying to encourage folks to stay here if they don't have plans already. I have friends who are just now hearing about it and are wondering about making plans. I've also found it's really hard to explain to someone why it's so cool when they don't get it. dizzy.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Aug 01, 2017 7:27 am 
For those planning or considering Jefferson Park (west side of Mt. Jeff), please note that it's closed (along with all connecting trails including the PCT) due to the Whitewater Fire. Fire equipment traffic along OR 22 and US 20 may be heavy. More details On the other hand, Salem is opening its city parks for camping the night before the eclipse. Details While not as exciting, what you see at home on TV will likely be a lot clearer than the view through westside morning low clouds or eastside forest fire smoke!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Aug 06, 2017 11:29 am 
Last week, I drove over to scout out the campsites we've been lucky enough to reserve for eclipse weekend. The Metolius River, where we'll be, was rather murky both from the general drift of smoke from BC and because it was downwind of the Whitewater Fire. No smoke smell; the smoke was higher up. The sun was visible, and certainly the smoky murk was a lot thinner than coastal morning fog and low clouds. On my way back Thursday afternoon, the smoke from the Whitewater Fire along OR highway 22 was so concentrated that my eyes were watering and I started coughing and sniffling. And I couldn't even see across Detroit Lake, even though the valley is quite narrow. If those conditiions prevail on the 21st, the folks in that area won't see much.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
chilge

chilge
PostMon Aug 07, 2017 6:00 pm 
Thanks Grannyhiker very much for your post - your update is very informative. I, too, was lucky enough to snag a campground reservation on the Metolius for eclipse weekend - although after the expanded forest closures that were announced this past Saturday, it's looking more and more likely that we'll have to cancel. bawl.gif

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Aug 08, 2017 9:06 am 
I hope not; the fire is still all on the west side of the mts. Depends on how smoky it gets and what new fires start. Just smoky atmosphere, will at most obscure view of the corona. I didn't get to see the corona in 1979 either, due to high clouds, but the eclipse was still very exciting and well worth seeing. Of course if the Metolius becomes like Detroit Lake last Thursday, we probably will turn around and go elsewhere. I have family coming in from Washington, California, and Ohio, so we're going to do something! Maybe not the eclipse, but perhaps the Washington coast. Edited later to add: I'm keeping a close watch on both Inciweb and Recreation.gov. Nobody is canceling anything yet!

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am 
Today there's an article in the Seattle Times warning of the various congested roads. There's a map of the many Columbia River crossings on major roadways. Quote: If you’re entertaining the idea of popping in your car really early Monday and racing down to Oregon in time for the eclipse, think again. You’re not the only person thinking that most everybody else will have heeded the dire traffic warnings from both Oregon and Washington, and that you and the other spontaneous types will have the roads to yourselves. And you aren’t the only person who’s pored over maps looking for those little-known, lightly traveled alternate routes on the eastern side of both states. “If you try to come down Monday, no matter how early you leave, you’re already too late,” said Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) spokesman Dave Thompson, whose agency has been planning for eclipse traffic for more than a year. ... In trying to anticipate what people will do as they head toward the first total eclipse of the sun in the United States since 1979, Thompson and his colleagues have examined “virtually every highway in Eastern Washington and most are narrow, two-lane, curving rural roads” which will not get you into the eclipse’s path with any speed or ease, he said. More information and suggestions in the article. I will probably post this in another thread as well. ~z

chilge

chilge
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 8:55 pm 
Any opinions on return routes to Seattle from central Oregon on eclipse Monday? My personal opinion is "don't try it," but my car isn't reliable enough to make the trip and the folks I'm tagging along with need to be back for work on Tuesday morning. We'll be camping on the Metolius near Sisters and will therefore need to drive through the centerline on our return journey. I'm sure our two obvious route options - 20/22 to I-5 and 97 to I-82 to I-90 - will both be apocalyptic, but I'm curious to hear opinions on which will be the least apocalyptic. I know there's really no way to know, but guess I'm hoping there are others who are willing to speculate with me. smile.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:07 pm 
chilge wrote:
Any opinions on return routes to Seattle from central Oregon on eclipse Monday? My personal opinion is "don't try it," but my car isn't reliable enough to make the trip and the folks I'm tagging along with need to be back for work on Tuesday morning. We'll be camping on the Metolius near Sisters and will therefore need to drive through the centerline on our return journey. I'm sure our two obvious route options - 20/22 to I-5 and 97 to I-82 to I-90 - will both be apocalyptic, but I'm curious to hear opinions on which will be the least apocalyptic. I know there's really no way to know, but guess I'm hoping there are others who are willing to speculate with me. smile.gif
I think if you left now, from here, you could get back to work on Tuesday. biggrin.gif Seriously..... Why would you consider anything other than Santiam pass/ Detroit lake, Salem, i5, starting from Metolius? There is a sekrit shortcut around Salem, if it is bad, cutting over at Sublimity. I have already said too much about that. But really, do you realize there are a few other people that plan to blow out of their after the eclipse faster than a church emptying after the benediction..... It will be instant gridlock. Heck, I am hoping to get home before dark just driving 20 miles from my planned viewing location....if I can get there in the first place. They have zero chance of making it back to work on Tuesday. Maybe a 2% chance if they drive straight into work.

friluftsliv
chilge

chilge
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
boot up wrote:
But really, do you realize there are a few other people that plan to blow out of their after the eclipse faster than a church emptying after the benediction..... It will be instant gridlock.
Yes, I do realize that. Unfortunately, I've tried all the persuading I can do to convince them to camp an extra night. I've been overruled. frown.gif

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:17 pm 
ccmignon101 wrote:
boot up wrote:
But really, do you realize there are a few other people that plan to blow out of their after the eclipse faster than a church emptying after the benediction..... It will be instant gridlock.
Yes, I do realize that. Unfortunately, I've tried all the persuading I can do to convince them to camp an extra night. I've been overruled. frown.gif
I fully understand. My daughters are driving from Seattle for the event, against my strong objections. At least the air is clear......NOT. Probably will get worse as the tourons light up the grasslands and forest.
Smoky sunset Bend OR, 8/16/17
Smoky sunset Bend OR, 8/16/17

friluftsliv
chilge

chilge
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 9:27 pm 
boot up wrote:
I fully understand. My daughters are driving from Seattle for the event, against my strong objections.
Best of luck to your daughters. And to you!
boot up wrote:
Probably will get worse as the tourons light up the grasslands and forest.
Yes, hoping for a miracle but that seems likely. Boo.

bk

bk
PostWed Aug 16, 2017 10:53 pm 
Leaving might be a little bit better than arriving, because leaving, people will be dispersing (somewhat), rather than converging on a focused area.