Forum Index > Trip Reports > Snow Peak Cabin Misadventure: 12/30/16 - 01/02/17
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 pm 
Snow peak cabin is cozy and remote, but the high elevation 5 mile short-winter-day approach is daunting; it has required some rescues when people underestimate the conditions and their route finding abilities. I visited for 5 nights in 2011 and found the winter route difficult to read in the storm conditions I was faced with despite a 17.5 minute map (a reality with rentals booked in June); markers were sparse in the high burned-over areas. Snow Peak winter rental None-the-less, winter rentals are a precious privilege because of the challenge, and I love them for that. May they only attract the hardy and capable; the rewards are incredible.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:06 am 
Very true, David. This was quite different from our previous new years excursions to the Wenatchee Guard Station (an easy road walk with snowmobile tracks). Your TR provided much inspiration prior to our trip. Beautifully poetic, as always. My favorite line: Winter has a brutal clarifying nature that I enjoy: the cold justice of indecision can be painful or deadly.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message