Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
Previous :: Next Topic  
mike

mike
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 11:34 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
boot up wrote:
I am driving a bit more carefully in Central Oregon where pointy, razor sharp chunks of lava sticking up out of the potholed roads are common.

The "gravel" looked kinda weird on one road we were on. When I made a photo op stop I noticed that it was obsidian! Driving on glass.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 5:20 pm 
boot up wrote:
Knock on wood, but my Nokian WRG3's with their Aramid laced sidewalls have done well for me.

My WRG3 tires survived 5 years of aggressive driving on forestry roads without any damage.

However, they were the worst tires I ever owned. They were terrible on snow - worse than cheap all-seasons. I got stuck in a parking lot at a Stevens when it hadn't snowed in days, and used all my Midwestern driving tricks to get out.

They were good on snow the first winter, but worthless after that. Either they were defective or damaged by snow or gravel. When the winter rains first came every year I'd slide all over the place.

I know this isn't common, and people wouldn't believe me. I'd let them drive my car to show them how bad they were.

Separate summer/winter tires/wheels are cheaper than Nokians when you consider the total mileage. If you have a jack and an impact wrench, you can change them out in 20 minutes, saving treadlife.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
Not all LT tires are E-rated aka 10-ply rated (archaic because these days they have only 2, 3 or 4 plies, not 10).

We have LT tires that are D-rated (aka "8-ply" rating) and C-rated (aka "6-ply" rating) on our two vehicles. I like having the stiffer sidewall of an LT tire on dirt roads.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:38 pm 
KillerCharlie wrote:
Finally got a second set of wheels with X-Ice tires for my Forester. Should've done that a long time ago. I can change  the wheels in 20 minutes.

Now I need new regular tires - 95% highways and 5% forestry roads. Any suggestions? Most of the tires talked about here discuss snow performance, which I'm not in need of. I want something relatively quiet and efficient on highways, good in rain, and good enough on gravel.

I've had really good luck with the Toyo Open Country ATs (now AT2) at good old Les Schwab.

I've been running them since about 2004. I've never torn up a sidewall and they are good all around dirt tires IMO. They're pretty darned quiet for a relatively blocky tread, I hate loud tires.

Reading up at offroad sites I find they rate pretty highly for a mixed use tire, jack of all trades master of none type reviews, and they even generally make it to bronze at least on some of the offroad type tests (rock traction, etc). Never had a rain issue and I drive Cascade Locks in downpours a lot, so if it can handle those creepy ass oceans next to the jersey barriers I rate that as good.

And aired down I've run to the top of Pinegrass over by Rimrock lake (no slouch of a 'road'), Gallagher Head lake and beyond to the road end on the S slope of Hawkins Mtn,  and the top of Van Epps Pass, so the full on crawling works well with them too.

One I have been considering for something different just because is Cooper's Discoverer AT3. I used to run their earlier versions on my mountain wagon 510 because they were the only AT's i could find in 14" size.  The tread is very similar to the Toyos and they get good reviews as well, particularly for low noise.

I am so pleased with the performance of the Cooper snows I mentioned earlier in the thread I may pick up a set of the Discoverers when it's time to ditch the snows in a couple months, I was nursing my nearly gone Toyo's through the fall till snow tire season and I'll need an all up new set anyway.

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 6:53 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I've had really good luck with the Toyo Open Country ATs (now AT2) at good old Les Schwab.

Looks like they don't have those in 2009 Forester size frown.gif
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:10 pm 
heck, I guess that means cooper may be your huckleberry!

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Feb 16, 2018 7:23 pm 
I wish I had another meniscus for my knee. But God didn't provide any spares. One time I almost got stranded miles from the trailhead, with no cell phone service for a toe truck.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
  Happy Birthday uproar!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: