Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSat Dec 02, 2017 9:23 pm 
Kat wrote:
A bit late of a reply, but have BFG KO2's on my old Pathfinder which I recently sold to my neighbor. Do a decent job in the snow, great on FS roads. Supposed to wear longer than the original KO's which I went thru a couple sets of those.
Thank you for the reply! Did you find that the new ones do well in the rain to? I guess that'll be more important since these'll be my daily driver. I was also considering Yokohama Geolandar a/t GO15 but I've heard some not so great things about them.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 5:37 am 
Rainy muddy forest service roads? Yes. Freeways? Decent, they're offroad-oriented tread, not going to say they're as good on a rainy freeway as the Triple Treds on my Subaru - but then we're talking apples and oranges there in purpose/tread design. If I still had my Pathfinder I'd definitely buy another set. My neighbor is using it to commute 50+ miles r/t to the airport which isn't exactly a good fit for vehicle or tires! lol.gif But it's working for him. If this is going to be your daily driver you may want to look at something that's a bit more street oriented yet still rugged enough for offroad. I went with Firestone Destination for our old 2wd pickup truck and also on our 4wd Suburban which we use for towing a lot including horse trailer up FS roads. Can't speak to how they do in the snow tho because I have studded snows for the Suburban for icy boat launches/snowmobiling in the winter.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 6:12 am 
Thank you for your perspective Kat. That is very helpful. Yes, it will be my daily driver.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Dec 03, 2017 9:18 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
boot up wrote:
That is the only problem with having a winter set of sneakers....When to install?
Yeah, that's an issue, although less an issue with studless ice tires. I have dedicated winter tires/rims for one vehicle that I swap myself. The other vehicle requires a trip to a tire shop.
For the wet side, Its more like when to put on the summer tires. I prefer the handling of well siped 'winter' tires during wet and cool weather.. summer tires go on late June, come off around October... I had studded tires last winter. Pulled the studs out at the end of winter and never changed the tires all summer. But my solution is different. I have a winter van, and a summer van. no tire changing needed wink.gif

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Dec 04, 2017 11:22 pm 
ale_capone wrote:
I have a winter van, and a summer van.
That makes you a high class dirtbag wink.gif

jbsimm2
WWLD?

jbsimm2
WWLD?
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 9:31 am 
boot up wrote:
Might be worth giving your local Discount Tires a call to see what the installed price and lead time is for special ordering the same tires. Just a thought
DT will also match Costco prices, if they didn't already beat them.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Dec 05, 2017 1:53 pm 
I finally got my new set of Michelins from Costco and am ready to head out for skiing. I was a loyal Les Schwab customer for decades, particularly after they came to my house and fixed a flat on the rear tire of my Kubota L2900 tractor for only $10. This last set of Toyos I got from them were so bad for snow driving compared to the stock Michelins they replaced that I had to look elsewhere.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Dec 06, 2017 11:10 am 
Interesting comparison between tire types...all terrain, all terrain with winter features, full on winter tires
Last year I ran out the last of the tread on my Hankook iPikes, last month I went in for replacements and wound up talking with a guy who drives a plow truck. He said his favorite is the Cooper Discoverer M+S and now that's all he runs on his truck. They were reasonably priced even in 16" size so I decided to change things up and try them out. They're a super blocky tread pattern with deep wide water channels. Each tread block is deeply factory siped as well. I was concerned about noise with such a blocky tread, but they're no louder than my summer AT tires. They have a very positive feel on the dry road and track great. So far I haven't run them in the snow, but the water performance is very good, even driving through Cascade Locks in the typical winter downpour they are very solid feeling even in the puddles, those big channels seem to indeed get the water out from under the tires. Interested to see how they'll do in the snow/ice.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:36 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
ale_capone wrote:
I have a winter van, and a summer van.
That makes you a high class dirtbag wink.gif
Lol.. I'm just a poser. Our HOA doesn't allow dirtbags. Haven't eaten top ramen in years. I am looking for all seasons for my truck. Might just go with bfg's. Ford 4x4 super duty. Im not even sure what brand tires are on it now. Some wanna be off road tires that look like they would be nightmarish on ice.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:58 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Last year I ran out the last of the tread on my Hankook iPikes, last month I went in for replacements and wound up talking with a guy who drives a plow truck. He said his favorite is the Cooper Discoverer M+S and now that's all he runs on his truck.
Hmm. I'll have to check them out. Ive had two rear wheel drive vehicles with Cooper radials that I drove through Midwest winters. I loved them. Although different winter driving style. You need to slide, because if you ain't drifting, you ain't driving. Heh, I can still parallel park a full sized van with a 180 slide. wink.gif Shred as my witness... Actually it was 270.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Some wanna be off road tires that look like they would be nightmarish on ice.
Yeah, that's the tradeoff. More knobby = smaller surface. Contrast true studless ice tires, e.g., Blizzak, X-Ice, Hakka. Rubber compound is key, of course. Most off road or wannabe off road tires have much harder compounds. Apples vs. oranges, for different uses.

mike

mike
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:00 pm 
FWIW the ice and snow tires like the Bizzak tend to hydroplane at lower speeds. This alone will rule them out for my wetside driving.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 12:15 pm 
mike wrote:
FWIW the ice and snow tires like the Bizzak tend to hydroplane at lower speeds.
What tires "like Blizzak" are you talking about? My early model Blizzaks hydroplaned somewhat, although no worse than all terrain truck tires I've had. Newer Blizzaks tread patterns are better than originals in rain. Michelin X-Ice on our CX-5 perform adequately in rain (although certainly not as good as a high performance non-ice AS rain-oriented tire). CR gives "fair" hydroplaning marks to X-Ice, Hakka and Blizzak (most models) but other testers give higher marks for X-Ice in rain. If we still lived W o' crest, we'd likely have Michelin X-Ice on the CX-5, our ski vehicle, because we ski alot (80+ days/season average). IME, X-Ice handle nearly as well as decent AS tires in dry and rain. Here on the E side true ice tires a no brainer.

mike

mike
PostThu Dec 07, 2017 7:11 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
What tires "like Blizzak" are you talking about?
As per CR
Quote:
Hydroplaning Resistance Consumer Reports determines the speed a tire starts to hydroplane on standing water about 3/8-inch deep. Most all-season and performance all-season tires have good hydroplaning resistance, but winter tires can be great or miserable. Winter tires that have a tight tread pattern with lots of siping (slits) to bite into snow and squeegee on ice don’t resist hydroplaning well. These include the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tire, which started hydroplaning at a relatively slow 45 mph, and not much better, were other popular winter tires including the Michelin X-ICE XI3, Bridgestone Blizzak WS80, Dunlop Winter Maxx, and Continental WinterContact SI. In contrast, tires with a blocky tread with lots open channels like the Firestone WinterForce do a better job of remaining in contact with the road. The Firestone started hydroplaning at an impressive 58 mph, just behind the best tire, the performance all-season Nokian enTYRE 2.0, which started hydroplaning at 59 mph.

Gregory

Gregory
PostSat Dec 09, 2017 5:41 am 
I run the KOs on my trucks.Love them.To me, they are a good compromise for an all season.They are great in the rain and snow.They tend to load up a bit in the mud.Wear excellent, I get over 50,000 miles per set.They are HEAVY!you will not ever get a flat but you know they are there both at the pump and getting on the freeway.I buy mine at Costco on sale.Save around 400.00 from Schwab and Discount.Oh ya, they look cool!lol I