Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
Previous :: Next Topic  
Gregory

Gregory
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:17 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat wrote:
A decent thorough test of 5 tires

Goodyear Wrangler Fortitude HT OWL SL (P-metric)
Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V2 SL (P-metric)
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT LT (E load range)
BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 RWL LT (C load range)
Firestone Destination MT LT (E load range)

The Ko2 came in third behind two dedicated snow tires.The results do not surprise me.The KO2 tread does like to hold mud and snow at lower speeds.Interesting perspective concerning the braking.

I hate to say it though this will be my first and last set of the new all terrains.I can not stand the mudder look to them.I showed them to the wife and remarked that the truck got new shoes.She laughed and said those are not shoes those are boots!.It will probably be defenders in 2024.I do not drive the truck in the snow I have an all wheel drive with tires full of walnut shells for that.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:37 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
A decent thorough test of 5 tires

Not surprised that Blizzak DM-V2 was #1 in all tests, #1 ice acceleration, #1 ice braking and #1 winter road course, better than studded Goodyear Ultra Grip. Throw in Blizzak's excellent performance on cold dry pavement and it aint a fair fight for interior west winter tire of those tested. I would have like to see Hakkas and X-Ice included in the test.

We encountered lots of slush and standing water on our truck/camper ski trip to northern ID for New Years: New Blizzak tread pattern big improvement in wet conditions, no hydroplaning noted.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:48 pm 
I went looking for some kind of apples to apples studded vs non comparison. Oddly enough, I found this two part series with some guy using the tires I picked up (Coopers). He starts and stops with the studless ones, then changes tires to the studded ones and does it again.

IMO in Washington the difference on studding or not will come down to how much ice you actually deal with. Wetsiders not so much, here, we just got out of a week of consistent cold temps and icing everywhere.

Its hard to find good tire comparos with all the leading brands and instrumented repeatable testing

--------------
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 1:09 pm 
DIYSteve wrote:
I would have like to see Hakkas and X-Ice included in the test

I really wish Nokians would be included in more comparison tests.   I suspect its almost a coin toss between Nokian Hakkas and Blizzaks, but conditions can make a big difference. 

Maybe part of the problem is the Nokian WRG's are one of the very few tires in its category of being snowflake rated (weather, not political slant), combined with doing well in hot summer weather, and excellent in rain. Tough to compare when nothing else fills that niche.

All studs versus no-studs snow tires comparisons I have read usually overlook extreme icy conditions and/or say that is the one exception for no-studs being as good.

In Western WA, including lots of Winter mountain trips, I never felt I needed anything more than the Nokian WRG's, as long as I drove carefully.     One "bad" Winter in Central Oregon and a couple of death defying trips up the sheet of ice to Mt Bachelor, and I ran out and bought studded Hakkas.

I still think the studded Hakkas would be way overkill in Western WA.  But it sure is nice to drive normally no matter what Central OR icy winters throw at us.   And that 25 minute drive up to the XC/snowshoe areas is really no stress.

--------------
friluftsliv
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
...for a long time siping carried with it sort of a pseudo status where some swore by it and still others said it was all a hoax carried out by tire places to make an extra bit per tire, by siping any new tire you wanted on the machine in back.

Look at the modern snows in this thread...nearly every one is heavily and deeply siped

The question, though, is whether it does any good to sipe tires with non-winter rubber.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 8:50 pm 
Should I sipe my bicycle tyres?
boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Should I sipe my bicycle tyres?

Please do.

And post pics and results.

I can't wait.....

biggrin.gif

--------------
friluftsliv
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm 
In Canada folks would do it yourself studded bike tyres with an old tyre and roofing nails. Now they use fat bikes.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 9:33 am 
Gregory wrote:
...I have an all wheel drive with tires full of walnut shells for that.

Really? The tire is filled with ground up shells? How is that done, and for what reason? Tell me about this, if you would please.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 10:01 am 
I did studded bike tyres when a kid, using tacks. It worked pretty well. Occasionally the duck pond in Portland would freeze and it worked well on that ice. But I got flats easily, probably due to sloppy nail work. Kids donít do that nowadays, either because of global warming or video games. Or maybe itís due to higher tacks rates.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
Crushed walnut shells are mixed with the rubber compound. It was very common for retread winter tires to have walnut shells mixed into in the tread back in the 50s-early 70s. The theory was the crushed shells gave extra "bite". The little walnut pieces popped out and left a little divot  with all the walnut shell tires I ever had. Perhaps those little holes acted like siping?

edit: More specifically the crushed shells are in the tread compound. No shells are in the casing, sidewalls, or bead

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 12:54 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Or maybe itís due to higher tacks rates

good one!

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Jan 10, 2018 2:13 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Gregory wrote:
...I have an all wheel drive with tires full of walnut shells for that.

Really? The tire is filled with ground up shells? How is that done, and for what reason? Tell me about this, if you would please.

http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Toyo/Observe+G-02+plus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRrli4074z8
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 am 
Schenk wrote:
Crushed walnut shells are mixed with the rubber compound...

Well, that's interesting. Partly due to the inclusion of shells in the compound, but mostly because I'd never heard of this. See, a guy can always learn something new!

Thanks.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 pm 
When I was a kid people ran "sawdust" tires. Same idea as the walnuts...or maybe it really was walnuts and just called sawdust  ??
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Snow vs All Season Tires
  Happy Birthday loudscoutii, dawgTE, Merlin!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: