Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 9:17 am 
schifferj wrote:
the X-ice equipped vehicle has never failed to negotiate any kind of snow/ice covered road period. My vehicle on the other hand struggles a bit in dicey conditions. The X-ice tires go on the vehicle (they're mounted on snow wheels) first week of November and come off at the end of March. I've never noticed any degradation of performance on dry, warmish roads with these tires.
I am thoroughly impressed by Michelin X-Ice tires on our CX-5. The ice persists over here E of the crest and we encounter ice every day. I do notice that X-Ice are a bit mushier on dry pavement, although not as mushy as Blizzaks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostSat Jan 28, 2017 2:59 pm 
It would be nice if the dollar cost of road damage done by studded tires were factored into their price. Then drivers would be persuaded by the pain in their wallets to get good non-studded winter alternatives.

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 5:30 pm 
So I ended up with some Hakka R2s on my 2017 Forester. Wow...they're amazing. I bet the WRG3s would have also done well. I've had no trouble in several feet of snow or on ice, hills, etc. Also, driving around the city in the rain isn't bad. I'll be changing them out for some all-weathers (probably WRG3s -- I'm kinda sold on Nokians now -- they've yet to let me down...for the month or so I've had them so far) come April. Just my 2cents.

over the hill

over the hill
PostMon Feb 06, 2017 11:10 am 
Got to play around in the snow with the WRG3s this morning. Fairly impressed over the stock Yokohama Geolanders that came with the Forester. I was concerned about them being noisy on pavement due to the more aggressive tread but was pleasantly surprised at the minute difference there was. I'll have to be diligent with tire rotations at every 5k with the softer rubber. Paleo, with the Hakkas as your winter tire I'd go with an all season instead of the all weather tire for that reason alone.

PaleoCook

PaleoCook
PostSun Feb 26, 2017 5:09 pm 
Glad to hear the WRG3s are performing well wink.gif. Here's a video of the Hakkas on my Forester a friend took for me while I was driving recently (briefly at that speed...I swear). https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MkkyN2KjojDmS_9X-UQSojqVxIzZLlFXYg/view?usp=sharing

Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 8:19 am 
Schroder wrote:
I recently replaced my stock Michelin S+M tires on my Honda Pilot with the top end Toyo tires from Les Schwab and I'm really disappointed. I never lost traction with the old tires and now I'm all over the road if there's a little packed snow. It was a very expensive mistake.
Less than 15k miles and I had my first tread separation. Les Schwab offered me 25% on the bad tire and told me I had to replace another (at full price) so they would wear equally. I'm shopping for a new set of tires, not at Les Schwab.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 8:49 am 
We've been through this before. Les Schwab is a ripoff. Free beef my ass. Costco stocks high quality tires and provides good service for a great price.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:21 am 
I heard that Les Schwab rebrands other manufacturers tires. So, sometimes you might get something good....sometimes not so much. I have heard the problem with snow traction for their tires is a pretty widespread complaint. I live in the town of their headquarters, so I have to be careful what I say about them when talking to locals. I am still rocking Nokian WRG's for general use, but with ice being a major factor in central Oregon, I now own a set of Nokian Hakapelitas studded snow tires for one of our cars. I can now drive on the very common ice covered roads with relative calm, instead of white knuckling my way through the rarely maintained roads of Bend and changing my underwear after every drive. Winter is a lot more relaxing now. We still just use the car with the WRG's for "normal" winter weather driving. The Hakas have shock absorbers behind each stud so they are easier on the roads.

friluftsliv
christensent

christensent
PostThu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Less than 15k miles and I had my first tread separation. Les Schwab offered me 25% on the bad tire and told me I had to replace another (at full price) so they would wear equally. I'm shopping for a new set of tires, not at Les Schwab.
Go to Discount Tire and get certificates on the tires if you want the best possible service. They'll replace everything no questions asked. And I mean no questions, I've had two tires replaced this year, the first time they didn't even go outside to look at it they just ordered me a completely free new tire when I said I cut a side-wall. Second time my treads were uneven and after a 30 second look at the tire I got a second tire free plus pro-rated refund on all remaining tires based on remaining tread life to equalize tread. Not to mention you get lifetime unlimited tire balancing and rotation with a purchase + installation. And the sales people are very professional and pleasant to work with at least at the store I go to. It's safe to say I will be a customer for life.

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 8:16 am 
christensent wrote:
Go to Discount Tire
Yes, I'm considering their Continental TerrainContact A/T

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 8:26 am 
I really liked the Kirkland Discount Tires store. Excellent prices, and I eventually figured out they could special order my Nokian tires for cheaper than the place that had them as a regular item. I never had a problem there and it was always easy dealing with them. Then I moved to Bend, and figured the local Discount Tires would be the same. Wrong. Sad to say the local DT is AWFUL. I have given them a couple of chances, dumping some major bucks into good tires and wheels and every time has been an awful experience. Such as dropping off my car with with a nail in my tire in the morning. They said come back in an hour. Of course not ready then. Finally got a call late in the day. Went to pick it up. Nail still in tire. They were pissed at me for being irate. They did a crappy job of fixing it, just shooting in a plug from the outside with no internal patch. Bought a set of pricey snow tires and wheels. That did not go well at all. I spent hours in their shop over that one. sigh.....I miss the Kirkland Discount Tires.

friluftsliv
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:05 am 
Yeah, Discount Tire service varies from location to location. I had good luck with the 4th Ave. S DT years ago, before I discovered Costco.
Schroder wrote:
I'm considering their Continental TerrainContact A/T
Consumer Reports gives it high marks in the "all terrain" category, although it appears the high overall mark is weighted for dry conditions. Rolling resistance only "fair." Ice braking and snow traction are only "good." Why an all terrain tire for winter? There are other Contis with better ice braking and snow traction, e.g., Conti CrossContact, which gets "good" for ice braking and "very good" for snow traction. Compare Michelin Premier LTX, scored "very good" for ice braking and snow traction. CR tests look to be objective and thorough. I have had good experience relying on CR ratings for tires. FWIW, only Hakkas, Michelin X Ice and Blizzaks get "excellent" marks for both ice braking and snow traction.

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker

boot up
Old Not Bold Hiker
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:21 am 
My Hakkas combined with Subie AWD takes the anxiety out of winter driving. Although legally I can put on the winter wheels as of November 1, I am waiting for serious Winter conditions before I put them on, not just the couple of slush flakes currently falling down. That is the only problem with having a winter set of sneakers....When to install? I was already hearing the clatter of studs on the road well before Nov 1, when I was still out road biking in shorts and a single layer shirt. Likely my desire to head up the mountain will be the decisive factor. That can be a real skating rink and cars get impatient if you are driving under 70mph on the iced-over curvy road. The downhill skier types are the worst offenders, trying to squeeze in a few runs on their lunch break or after work.

friluftsliv
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 9:29 am 
ditto.gif I used to use the Conti Contacts on my Celica and they worked well on snow and ice but wore fast, in those days you ordered them mail order. I later joined Costco and used some Michelin LTX model that had the most aggressive tread pattern for a street legal tire for my 4Runner and have had excellent wear and traction including southwestern off road. You had to order them.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostFri Nov 03, 2017 11:45 am 
boot up wrote:
That is the only problem with having a winter set of sneakers....When to install?
Yeah, that's an issue, although less an issue with studless ice tires. I have dedicated winter tires/rims for one vehicle that I swap myself. The other vehicle requires a trip to a tire shop.