Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > A chance to speak up in support of public lands
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 4:46 pm 
I'm sure many of you have gotten similar notices from one of the many conservation organizations about a recent federal lands rule change. Most issues, including this one, are not totally black and white. Some recent threads here have debated the pros and cons of federal vs state ownership of public land. But in spite of having lots of complaints about how the federal agencies manage our land, I think it's preferable to having a piecemeal approach state by state with much less consistency. Here's one link that let's you speak up. It really matters. House rules change devalues our public lands

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm 
What is this "owned by the people" propaganda they keep pushing? The land is owned by whatever agency manages it. Go camp in the Enchantments without a permit and tell the ranger how you own it and let us know how it goes. Interstate 5 is "public land", do I get to own it too?

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 5:01 pm 
I agree that there is hype and some scare tactic language in these alerts. A phrase like "our lands" is similar to "our taxes", and easy to pick apart if you get literal, but it's pretty clear the sense in which it's used. This issue is about whether federal lands should be transferred to the states and this rule change is a small step that makes that easier to do. Maybe you don't see that as a problem, and that's fine.

fairweather friend

fairweather friend
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 7:35 pm 
Yeah, I know, some think the Washington Post is just another "fake news site," but here's this: House rules change would make it easier to sell off federal lands
Quote:
...Under current Congressional Budget Office accounting rules, any transfer of federal land that generates revenue for the U.S. Treasury — whether through energy extraction, logging, grazing or other activities — has a cost. If lawmakers wanted to give such land to a state, local government or tribe, they would have to account for that loss in expected cash flow. Bishop authored language in the new rules package that would overturn that requirement, saying any such transfers “shall not be considered as providing new budget authority, decreasing revenues, increasing mandatory spending, or increasing outlays.
The first thing they've done is to prevent any discussion of what the fiscal impacts of land divestment would be. This basically prevents any kind of cost-benefit analysis from being part of the decision. And this is coming from the party that claims to be fiscally conservative and thinks that government should be run like a business??? Show me a business that doesn't want to know the value of the assets they're selling and I'll show you a business in bankruptcy. Does anyone still doubt what's going to happen to federal lands in the next two to four years?

Waterman

Waterman
PostWed Jan 04, 2017 7:47 pm 
Thanks for pointing this out. Will be calling my congressman tomorrow. If you hike, fish, hunt or enjoy doing any activity on our federal lands please call your congressman. To reach the congressional switch board call 202 225 3121 All they need is your zip code to connect you to your representative. Please call.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:12 am 
MyFootHurts: you've obviously never really enjoyed the benefits of public land. When traveling around the west, I never make a reservation, for a hotel or a campground. I have a few maps with all the public land and know I can always just pull off somewhere pretty easily and find a place to put my tent. We own this land in the sense that there are no "no trespassing" signs telling us we can't walk, camp, fish or hunt there. If you think it's cool to sell that stuff off to the states, some of which will sell it off to the highest bidder, feel free to say so.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 9:47 am 
Exactly. And just think of the Enchantments as a time share

drm

drm
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 10:59 am 
Why do some people think that owning something means you get to do whatever you want in it and to it without concern for the other owners? If you live in a house with other people, I certainly hope you take their interests and concerns into account. Federal agencies manage the land we own based on laws passed by our representatives (I won't get into the problems with elections for choosing those representatives here, but they are our representatives). Of course we don't always like the rules that are passed or adopted - because we don't own it alone. And some times the rules aren't even followed. That's why we have courts, and can change our representatives. But we do own it and I do use the land we own quite a bit, as do most of the people posting here.

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostThu Jan 05, 2017 4:56 pm 
If the GOP cared about long term economic success they would be advocating more protections for public lands, rather than selling them off and exploiting them for finite resources! They're Kleptocrats - willing to sacrifice anything to remain in power and to fill their coffers. Over the next 4 years everyone is going to have to do their part to fight for the very existence of our public lands.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/