Forum Index > Trail Talk > Be careful avalanche wise
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm 
The NWAC warns of slabs created by strong E-SE winds earlier this week. The snow would have been transported onto cold surfaces with even the possibility of surface hoar where the bond will be poor regardless. Although the slabs are probably not extensive, in situations like this with strong winds they can be locally deep and behave very unpredictably. Surface snow may even appear to be hard packed but could still hide a slab. Because the slabs are not uniformly over terrain, by definition, the avalanche Hazard is rated Moderate. With cold temperatures slabs stabilize very slowly, essentially not at all when temperatures are in the lower teens. Read the discussion at www.nwac.us

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
christensent

christensent
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 1:33 pm 
As a follow-on thought, the current snowpack is a great example of why you can't simply look for green/yellow and go out without considering the specific hazards of the snowpack and your route. As mentioned it is by definition only moderate on the avalanche danger scale, but in typical english language, there are some remarkably dangerous isolated slopes right now. Conditions were really varied over even small terrain changes before the last storm cycle. I personally wouldn't enter much of any avalanche slopes without digging a pit and checking in the current Washington snowpack, whereas in certain other snowpacks I wouldn't even worry about most slopes when it's also a moderate warning. The warning level is only a very small indicator of risk. Far too often I see people saying things like "just wait until the risk is low or moderate then go hike this route". Really bad advice!

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 1:57 pm 
It's been frustrating this week in picking good routes due to the advice that wind slab is everywhere. With the consistent eastern winds I would have assumed that the aspects and terrain features with wind slab would be much more limited. Has it really been so random this week?

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 06, 2017 2:59 pm 
Wind and snow transporting is tricky stuff and in the convoluted terrain of the mountains it is not consistent or really predictable. Sure, the lee side of a long ridge can be expected to have slabs and cornices but wind slabs can form even on windward sides of a slope behind the lee sides of terrain features. When it has been windy in the mountains you can have consolidated wind formed slabs almost anywhere, regardless of where the wind was blowing from.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:07 am 
The NWAC is predicting dangerous conditions and has issued an avalanche watch for this week.
Quote:
..INCREASING HEAVY RAIN AND SNOW BEGINNING EITHER MONDAY NIGHT OR TUESDAY WILL LOAD THE SNOWPACK BUILDING UNSTABLE NEW STORM LAYERS WITH WET AVALANCHES BECOMING LIKELY IN AREAS AND ELEVATIONS THAT CHANGE TO RAIN. ALSO...STRONG SOUTHWEST WINDS WILL BUILD NEW AND UNSTABLE WIND SLAB ON LEE SLOPES AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS THROUGHOUT TUESDAY.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 am 
RichP wrote:
The NWAC is predicting dangerous conditions and has issued an avalanche watch for this week.
Yup, wet avy danger this week but OTOH in the long term this Pineapple Express will break down PWLs in many places. It'll be interesting watching the telemetry this week.

gb

gb
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:33 am 
DIYSteve wrote:
RichP wrote:
Yup, wet avy danger this week but OTOH in the long term this Pineapple Express will break down PWLs in many places. It'll be interesting watching the telemetry this week.
Or depressing.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:39 am 
gb wrote:
Or depressing.
Likely so. Seems to happen at least once every Jan/Feb. Maybe some of the E o' crest tours will be spared. Or maybe not.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 8:54 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
DIYSteve wrote:
Maybe some of the E o' crest tours will be spared. Or maybe not.
??? I'm under the impression you believe this / these individuals, organization, annual adventure, other ??? is careless?
Steve is speculating that it might not rain in some locations East of the Cascade crest, preserving good snow quality in those locations. I don't see how you got to carelessness--he is just talking about the weather.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
??? I'm under the impression you believe this / these individuals, organization, annual adventure, other ??? is careless?
Are you talking to me? I have no clue what you're trying to say. My comment was about the weather.
hbb wrote:
Steve is speculating that it might not rain in some locations East of the Cascade crest, preserving good snow quality in those locations. I don't see how you got to carelessness--he is just talking about the weather.
Yes, that's what I said. Thank you.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:33 am 
tour = ski tour

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:38 am 
EOs are also a fairly torturous core exercise at my gym that make me gassy.

gb

gb
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 4:56 pm 
15F at Snoqualmie Pass and preciping - ought to be good..........

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 5:07 pm 
gb wrote:
15F at Snoqualmie Pass and preciping - ought to be good..........
18F freezing rain now. Warm wet front coming in. Forecast calling for high of 48F and rain tomorrow.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
159 mph wind gust @ Crystal. So says KOMO & KIRO Wow! Checked Crystals website and no mention of the gust
156mph at 1700 on the telemetry: https://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/crystalskiarea/now/