half fast
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 10:43 pm 
Awesome game... up.gif up.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 11:00 pm 
Yes! Anybody but 'Bama (or any other SEC school for that matter).

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm 
Heck of a game down to last second😚 and Bama lost😎😎

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jan 09, 2017 11:47 pm 
Didn't watch the game, just checked out the last play. Obvious pick play. Seems like everyone is running those these days. Should have been OPI. Then again you can't put yourselves in a position to let the refs decide your fate.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 am 
Or maybe not: Clemson’s final ‘pick play’ was perfect, legal, and should remain so Yes, Clemson ran a ‘pick play’ to beat Alabama. But it was totally legal. They could have called defensive holding on the DB who tackled the wide receiver you accuse of making the pick. Getting away with "rub" plays are part of modern football. Seahawks would not have gotten to the Superbowl 2 of the last 4 years without them. If you saw the entire game, you'd know that 'Bama got break after break after no call after no call. On the whole, officials favored 'Bama over Clemson. I'll say it again: Great game. Once again college football produces a better product than the NFL.

trestle

trestle
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 3:10 pm 
DPI on the DB, not OPI on the "picking" wide receiver. Watch the play again and turn off the announcers, the ESPN crew missed just like they miss many other obvious calls. The DB just grabs the receiver and throws him to the ground. It was before the pass so they could have also called Defensive Holding. Clemson executes that play far better than the Seahawks do. College football was lucky to end up with this matchup. The committee is a joke and so is their "process". OSU had no business being in the playoff. At least winning your way to the championship in the NFL is transparent. Or mostly anyways. College football is still controlled by old, white men in a smoky room with a tight grasp on as much money as they can keep from everyone else.

"Life favors the prepared." - Edna Mode
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 3:49 pm 
I didn't see any DPI. Clemson player is obviously trying to pick and falls to the ground to disguise. The Alabama defender is going backward. There are a lot of opinion pieces stating it was a legal pick but doesn't make it so. They are just opinions, as is mine. I read one article that said it wasn't a pick because the chasing defender wasn't physically contacted. But I'm not sure that makes it not a pick. AFAIK the rules say you can't pick, but leave it up to the ref to interpret.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 5:56 pm 
Defensive holding could have been called on 'Bama #26 DB. But the guy he held was not the intended receiver, so it's not DPI. It also was not an illegal pick. 'Bama #2, the guy covering the receiver (#13) man-to-man, did not get touched by a Clemson player. If he wasn't touched, surely he was not picked. So the question is whether there was OPI by Clemson off-receiver #3 against 'Bama #26. Clemson #3 ran a quick slant right at 'Bama #26 and, as SBNation notes, 'Bama #26 "welcomed the contact" by "grabbing" #3, creating an obstruction that 'Bama #2 had to run around. As SBNation notes, had 'Bama #26 not "initially grabbed" Clemson #3, a pick might well have been called. The NCAA coordinator of officials confirmed this, stating that play was legal because 'Bama #26 initiated the contact with Clemson #3 or it was "mutually initiated." If a DB in 'Bama #26's position wants to draw OPI, he must forebear from initiating contact or welcoming contact with the off-receiver.

borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostTue Jan 10, 2017 6:01 pm 
I didn't watch the game, but looking at the replay, I don't see a pick play. I see a clear-out block by the offense. If the receiver had moved forward a yard and then stopped and perhaps turned around to receive a pass, that would create a pick or a rub play, which would probably be legal. But the offensive player initiated the contact. Pro and college rules are probably different, but the Seahawks got used earlier this season when Sherman was blocked exactly the same way on the goal line for a TD (Atlanta game?). The official explanation is that offensive contact can be initiated within one yard of the line of scrimmage and can be carried further down the field with no flag. (In Sherman's case, the contact was at least a yard and a half, but whatever). Using that reasoning, this Clemson play might be considered legal. The defense can also create contact within a yard of the LOS and stay with it, effectively blowing up the pick, which is what Browner did to Kearse on the ultimate dismal play of the Super Bowl. Browner was still blocking when the ball was thrown, evidently legally because of where the contact was initiated. Although the 12's hate it, that's a perfect example of how to defend a pick play.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 7:06 am 
up.gif up.gif Great game ! Alabama was to one dimensional.

Living in the Anthropocene
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:04 pm 
Alabama is a very different team without Bo Scarbrough at Running Back. He was an absolute beast when my Dawgs played them (30+ year season ticket holder). He scored two touchdowns in championship game before being injured very early in the third. Without him, Alabama's running game became much more pedestrian; and they weren't going to beat you by throwing the ball.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 11, 2017 1:48 pm 
I think Bo Scarbrough being injured was the difference in the game. With all the mistakes Clemson made in the first half, I thought they were toast. I am just glad Alabama lost.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:11 am 
Gents, Not trying to troll here but think about it....a dozen smart guys are watching SLO-MO replays and can't agree on offensive or defensive call or zero/zilch non-call. Fast rewind to live action referee in game. He can't decide either. Leave whistle in pocket. No call. Let players decide. Plus, as mentioned, if you have goal to go with 2 seconds left you already made enough mistakes to lose. EX: bootleg pass and no one attacking ball? No tears for loser in this game; this is what sports can come down to and it is ok. Tom

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:32 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Fast rewind to live action referee in game. He can't decide either. Leave whistle in pocket. No call. Let players decide.
If by "whistle" you mean "penalty flag," I agree. (This is football, not basketball.) At full speed the contact between Clemson #3 and 'Bama #26 appears to be mutually initiated, so no call was the right call. Slo mo confirms that. By contrast, all targeting calls are automatically reviewed and are subject to being overturned, and thus the officials are instructed to throw a flag for targeting whenever they see a hit that might be targeting. That didn't happen and 'Bama got away with at least 3 obvious targeted hits (2 of which affected the game because they resulted in one of Clemson's key receivers to sit out for awhile). 'Bama got more breaks from the officials. And they got beat.