Forum Index > Trail Talk > 1 Degree
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 8:44 am 
I don't mind winter, snow, and some cold, but this fall /winter has been a stress test on the system. Some sunshine and 20''s would be a warming trend. I keep thinking wildflowers in 4 weeks. hmmm.gif Our average highs have been below our average lows for December and January this year. Average climate.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 9:07 am 
I grew up there and it was normal to have a cold snap every winter. I think you've been living there during a warm stretch of time. I am meaning to be kind, not snarky. Meanwhile, a lot of fruit trees have been planted that require longer growing seasons. I wonder if they can handle the cold? Orchards getting killed off by the cold used to be a worry, but now houses have replaced the orchards so maybe it isn't thought about much.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:30 am 
wildernessed wrote:
I keep thinking wildflowers in 4 weeks. hmmm.gif
That's the spirit! After researching the question more than I would care to admit, I have this: The first real show is the Grass Widows (Sisyrinchium sp.) on the Oregon side of the Columbia Gorge in late February. dizzy.gif Yellow fritillaries (Fritillaria pudica) follow soon after but do not tend to cover hillsides with color like the Grass Widows. You can also find Grass Widows on balds in the San Juan Islands as early as February.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:31 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Posted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:07 am treeswarper wrote: ¨ I grew up there and it was normal to have a cold snap every winter. I think you've been living there during a warm stretch of time.
I think this has been the most prolonged stretch of sub freezing weather since we moved here in 2004 talking to Steve this a.m. he doesn't remember it being this sustained since the early 90's. A lot of flu, ruptured pipes, and sputtering furnaces. The valley is a sink hole a few times it has been up to 5 degrees colder down here than on Mission Ridge.

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 10:46 am 
There's been a lot of below zero days in Ronald/Roslyn/Cle Elum lately. -5 this morning. The positive thing about it is that it makes the regular 20-30 degree days seem nice and warm.

mike

mike
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 11:06 am 
Sculpin wrote:
You can also find Grass Widows on balds in the San Juan Islands as early as February.
Yep. Some Feb flowers to cheer you up. This is the coldest weather that we've had in years so maybe things will be later this year...
Feb16
Feb16
Feb16
Feb16

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 11:18 am 
There was a memorable cold spell in 1992? Maybe earlier. I lived in the Okanogan Valley and we had tremendous wind chills and wind. I bundled up in many layers. No pipes frozen as it was an older house and built for it. Another cold spell was in 1983? -24 at my house in Twisp. That was during Christmas because a lot of coasties were giving the tow truck guys a lot of business. Before that was kid times and I'm sure we had not as severe as 1968 cold temps, but cold. There was only one winter I can remember in kid times where there was no snow and I'm thinking that was 1962ish. We had a brand new flexible flyer and no snow to use it on. So, kid thinking took over, parents were busy and we hooked up a hose to the "city water" spigot and turned our concrete driveway into a sled hill. It apparently was freezing at the time. Parents were not happy. We got a few runs in. I think some spanking may have occurred. After that, all I remember are snowy winters--lots of snow fort building and sledding down 11th street before the sand truck arrived and spoiled our fun .

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 12:18 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
There was a memorable cold spell in 1992? Maybe earlier.
Yes, earlier. 89-90. NE'r blew down a massive amount of trees. Moran SP looked like pick-up sticks. Our road was a maze of trees which took 2 days to clear with all of the neighbors working. Blew down a bunch of our trees so I brought in a sawmill and made lumber. One big old DF is now the flooring in our house. smile.gif

drm

drm
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 12:22 pm 
Can those grass widows grow up through snow cover? Here in The Dalles, our seasonal total snowfall is just edging into the Top 10, but the consecutive days with snow on the ground is already well over past records. And with over a foot falling on Tuesday and temps forecast to stay well below freezing until well into next week - meaning the melt only starts then - this record is going to keep getting extended. That also means those fields and meadows where we locals always perk up when the grass widows arrive are also snow covered and likely to stay that way for some time. The recent warm winters often saw the first grass widows in January and a few oddballs might have showed up in December. And as nice as those grass widows are, I like the first blooming trilliums in the mountains too in the spring.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 2:24 pm 
REALLY hoping this is killing things like pine beetles or bud worms. Not sure if it works that way, but it's nice to dream.....

~Mom jeans on wheels
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:06 pm 
The first wildflowers I have seen up here were #1 on Entiat Ridge at 4k' a Glacier Lilly and #2 Butter Cups up above Palisades both the 3 - 4 week of Feb.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:18 pm 
DigitalJanitor wrote:
REALLY hoping this is killing things like pine beetles or bud worms. Not sure if it works that way, but it's nice to dream.....
And ticks, don't forget the ticks.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 4:54 pm 
Here in Yakima, back in 81 or 82 we went an entire month without getting above freezing. Temps of 5-10 below were common - my mother's oil tank froze and her furnace quit. That being said, this is the hardest winter that I can remember in a long time - harder in some ways (cold, wind) than the epic 95-96 winter. We had a cold spell like this back in the mid 1950's and lost a lot of fruit trees to exploding trunks - that's why you will often see them painted white - to reflect the sun's heat.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 6:05 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
DigitalJanitor wrote:
And ticks, don't forget the ticks.

~Mom jeans on wheels
AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 7:21 pm 
Aaaand the yellow jackets. Hope the cold kills the yellow jackets.