Forum Index > Trail Talk > grizzly bears in north cascades - open house / public comment
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
PorcupinePhobia
Murse

PorcupinePhobia
Murse
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm 
If the idea is to restore some "balance" by putting the apex predator back in the mix, it would be interesting to read the impact statement(?), or what change is anticipated. Hadn't considered the ESA angle of "out of their hands", that's interesting. Either way, I still feel very much in the LazySelfishHikerNoGrizzlyPlease club... I mean, a can of bear spray is 10oz. Basically UL zealot suicide. I'd have to move to New Zealand.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:19 pm 
PorcupinePhobia wrote:
Either way, I still feel very much in the LazySelfishHikerNoGrizzlyPlease club... I mean, a can of bear spray is 10oz. Basically UL zealot suicide. I'd have to move to New Zealand.
LOL. 10 oz.....Last fall I hiked in BC much off trail for 4 days solo. When exposed in and in areas where bears might be expected with poor visibility, I yelled appropriately. In exposed areas I carry the bearspray in my hand and really don't notice it. With good visibility, the bearspray goes on a harness or even (with no risk) in my pack. Lots of digs, none newer than 4 days. Big deal.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
iron

iron
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:28 pm 
sounds really awesome to hike and yell and carry a can in your hand the whole time. my kind of fun. //sarcasm let me know how that works for you while traversing steep terrain.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:43 pm 
The time horizon for this project is 60 to 100 years by NPS's estimates. It is unlikely any of us will encounter a bear because of this in our lifetime. That doesn't mean people shouldn't have an opinion about it one way or the other, but it isn't time to freak out yet.

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:48 pm 
iron wrote:
let me know how that works for you while traversing steep terrain.
You mean where you won't find bears?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:49 pm 
hikersarenumber1 wrote:
It's pretty funny to see people's uneven risk tolerances... Would you rather die of a grizxly bear attack or an avalanche? With equal exposure, I'm pretty sure the avy is most likely to get you.
Neither one. But why increase the risk if it not necessary?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:11 pm 
There is no reason except a "Romantic" fantasy that we can go back a 150 Years and make everything as it was. When the same "notion" was devised in Montana and Idaho with wolves it has a huge impact, on not only livestock but also the Elk and Deer populations . Ask the ranchers and hunters of those states how it worked out for them. There is a REASON that Grizzlies are not found in any numbers in the North Cascades.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:17 pm 
Exactly Lead Dog...another example is here in N Idaho, they want to protect and re-introduce the Caribou here and have closed several snowmobile and cross country ski areas in order to protect them. What they fail to comprehend, is that the Caribou much prefer being north in Canada where the terrain better suits their needs. A few stragglers roam down this way across the boarder in Summer for whatever reason, but definitely not their preferred habitat.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:25 pm 
gb wrote:
You need to read up. Carrying a weapon and shooting a bear will increase your chances of injury. Bearspray is the smart method.
Its all a matter of choice, if prefer a firearm and/or bear spray that's MY choice

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:30 pm 
The Lead Dog wrote:
There is no reason except a "Romantic" fantasy that we can go back a 150 Years and make everything as it was. When the same "notion" was devised in Montana and Idaho with wolves it has a huge impact, on not only livestock but also the Elk and Deer populations . Ask the ranchers and hunters of those states how it worked out for them. There is a REASON that Grizzlies are not found in any numbers in the North Cascades.
Ask the biologists in Yellowstone how it worked out for bringing back wolves. up.gif

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:31 pm 
timberghost wrote:
gb wrote:
You need to read up. Carrying a weapon and shooting a bear will increase your chances of injury. Bearspray is the smart method.
Its all a matter of choice, if prefer a firearm and/or bear spray that's MY choice
And that is fine. If you want to increase your own risk.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 2:53 pm 
I heard that wasp-hornet spray actually works better than the traditional bear spray, evidently it sprays further, more accurately and has the same effect. Anyone else heard of this?

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:13 pm 
Getting killed by a bear doesn't worry me much, it's the mauling, gnawing, bone crunching, flaying, gashing, and slashing that's troubling.

The Lead Dog

The Lead Dog
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:24 pm 
Don't you think that if Grizzlies wanted to live in the North Cascades they would. Or are they waiting for a Helicopter ride in a net. Or riding in the back of a truck in a cage. Darted and confused. Dumped in a place they have never been? They don't need our "permission" to be where they don't want to be. Leave them alone!!! crazy.gif

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:26 pm 
We want wilderness but apparently some don't include wildlife as part of that wilderness. To the degree that wilderness is missing its full spectrum of wildlife, to that degree it is not wilderness.
DIYSteve wrote:
OTOH, if you deem wilderness nothing more than a playground for our species. . .
Steve, I think you found the core of the objections. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."