Forum Index > Trail Talk > grizzly bears in north cascades - open house / public comment
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:29 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
What they fail to comprehend, is that the Caribou much prefer being north in Canada where the terrain better suits their needs.
It isn't due to terrain, at least in the physical feature sense. There used to be good numbers of Woodland Caribou in the Northern Panhandle of Idaho, also NE Washington, herds of them in fact. The real reason they don't hang out as much now is due to a few things, neither of which are due to "terrain" and are mostly due to increased stress and decreased food sources: 1) Human encroachment and interaction (in winter: snowmobilers, skiers, and snow bikers). 2) Logging has reduced their main food source: Lichens, lichens that take decades of forest growth before they take hold and grow in sufficient quantity to feed even a small herd. 3) Climate change has also reduced, or eliminated, the availability of these lichens at the lower latitudes of their historic range. Their range has shrunk and it isn't because the terrain changed.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:39 pm 
Schenk wrote:
2) Logging has reduced their main food source: Lichens, lichens that take decades of forest growth before they take hold and grow in sufficient quantity to feed even a small herd. 3) Climate change has also reduced, or eliminated, the availability of these lichens at the lower latitudes of their historic range.
Good info. I would say these are the main two factors ^....fyi, I didn't say the the terrain changed, I said that they preferred the terrain north of the border...I suppose it's as you stated, that's where there preferred food source is more abundant.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 3:59 pm 
timberghost wrote:
gb wrote:
You need to read up. Carrying a weapon and shooting a bear will increase your chances of injury. Bearspray is the smart method.
Its all a matter of choice, if prefer a firearm and/or bear spray that's MY choice
Your preference supercedes science? This had been studied. Bear spray makes a wide zone of space between a human and bear that is extremely unpleasant. It hurts the bears eyes and lungs and makes the bear feel vulnerable enough to retreat most of the time. It does not need to be precisely aimed. A gun makes a loud noise and needs to be carefully aimed and is unlikely to strike the bear on the first shot or the first shot that hits the bear will just hurt and make it anger...plus there is the whole question of what is behind the bear... Oh yeah, plus bear spray doesn't kill the bear... So yeah, if legal, you can have a gun instead, but dont claim that it is anything other than the result of ignorance...

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 4:03 pm 
iron wrote:
sounds really awesome to hike and yell and carry a can in your hand the whole time. my kind of fun. //sarcasm let me know how that works for you while traversing steep terrain.
In Glacier NP I carried bear spray in a holster. Rather than yelling I liked to clank my poles together. Really, you only need to be super concerned when you are going around a turn on the trail or somewhere where thereally isnt open sight line. Normally alpine terrain above or near the treeline is pretty safe just because you and Yogi have amble opportunity to see and avoid each other.

iron

iron
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm 
ok, i will only hike on straight trails or above treeline. perish the thought if i'm off-trail somewhere.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 pm 
Yeah, nobody hikes in the Northern Rockies due to potential threat of grizzly bears...wait a minute... I'd rather not run into a griz at point blank range, but this thread (and every other similar thread ever) seem like sky is falling hysteria to me. There are plenty of places that have healthy griz populations and they aren't out there eating people on a daily basis.

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:00 pm 
I don't know that much about Woodland Caribou (except food - lichen and height of lichen in winter) but Parks Canada in Jasper National Park has made extra steps to separate Caribou from humans. You should be able to find an article from Parks Canada on management of Caribou habitat.

gb

gb
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:04 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Yeah, nobody hikes in the Northern Rockies due to potential threat of grizzly bears...wait a minute... I'd rather not run into a griz at point blank range, but this thread (and every other similar thread ever) seem like sky is falling hysteria to me. There are plenty of places that have healthy griz populations and they aren't out there eating people on a daily basis.
The odds are probably higher than getting struck by a meteor, but they might as well be the same; Watch out for lightning!

hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:08 pm 
iron wrote:
ok, i will only hike on straight trails or above treeline. perish the thought if i'm off-trail somewhere.
That's when you need to make noise and be extra aware. Remember, yogi is afraid of you, too.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:16 pm 
My main issue with Griz reintroduction into NCNP is that it's not like there is any shortage of Griz in the US, some things should be left alone.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:34 pm 
I remember a trip in late September in ONP about six or seven years ago. Myself and a friend did the loop from Sol Duc to Appleton to Cat Creek Basin to High Divide and back to Sol Duc via Deer Lake. We saw seven black bears that day, some of them at relative close quarter of about 15 to 30 feet distance. The bears were all either moving away from us or ignored us as they ate huckleberries. On the way down off the High Divide to Deer Lake, we met a couple coming up to the High Divide. We eagerly told them our bear sightings, the last of which was only about 150 feet back up the trail. The woman was very nervous as we told our tale and pulled out two cans of bear spray. I tried to reassure her that the bears were nothing to be afraid of but she was not assuaged from her vigilant grasp of her two cans of bear spray. I thought to myself she was worried about nothing. After all, ONP only had nice black bears, not those terrible grizzlies. But in actuality, since 2000, more people have been killed by black bear than by grizzly. From this little Ask A Bear column in Backpacker Mag: "In the 2000s, there have been 27 fatal incidences so far in North America, resulting in 29 deaths. 15 were in Canada, three were in Alaska, two were in Tennessee, and single fatal attacks happened in New York, New Mexico, California, Pennsylvania, Colorado, Utah and Montana. 17 of those attacks were perpetrated by black bears, and 10 by grizzlies." List of fatal bear attacks in North America Most of us feel comfortable in the wild with black bears but some seem afraid of grizzly beyond what the statistics warrant. NOTE: I don't think we should be complacent around black bears. They are wild animals which are capable of killing a human fairly easily. IIRC, cattle theft is a much bigger issue for ranchers than is predation from all species. Of course individual ranchers have varying degrees of issue with predation depending on location. Also ranchers are compensated for their losses. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 5:44 pm 
Another example of environmentalist tampering is here in Priest Lake, Idaho. They want to get rid of the Mackinaw who are non-native and restore Mountain Whitefish, which are native to the lake. The Mackinaw were introduced for sporting purposes in the early 1900's and are a very invasive, predatory species. They have now have a year around season and no catch limit on the Maks...which while that's a very good thing for the Sport fisherman, imho it will have little impact on the population, there simply aren't enough fisherman catching many fish. Also (and thankfully) it's a huge lake, so they can't simply poison it as they do small lakes and start new. This is a good example of something that should be left alone, the 'damage' is done and there really is no sensible way to undo it.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:08 pm 
How much money are you willing to throw at the bears? What is a griz worth? I expect it'll cost a lot to catch and dump the bears. Then there will have to be more $$ for studies and monitoring. But, if the goal is to have a "real" wilderness, there's no need for trail maintenance because a "real" wilderness would not have maintained trails so that money could be switched over to the bear project. I've talked to one old timer who spent a lot of time in the Pasayton area, before it was "wilderness". They never saw a grizzly there and he maintains that the habitat is not there to support any more of the bears. That's assuming that there is bear or two in the area wandering around. There's a few other modern factors. Salmon are pretty much non-existent (another species in trouble) and mule deer winter range now is pockmarked with second homes-the Methow Valley. Maybe we can make a new garbage dump to make sure the grizzlies don't starve. I really don't think the food they need is abundant to support any more bears in that area but maybe they'll learn to eat the hikers? This will be interesting to follow. I remember having a discussion about this 30 years ago and it was predicted it would never happen because the Seattle folks would raise a big commotion about having scary bears in their playground. We shall see.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 6:39 pm 
North Cascades heck. My neighbor saw one in his back yard in Cle Elum a year before I moved there. And before you ask, yes he knows what he's looking at. He's bear hunted in Alaska before. up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
hikersarenumber1

hikersarenumber1
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 7:08 pm 
We had tracks confirmed by wildlife people on the property I grew up on in E. WA. My brother and I and dogs and ponies and other kids I'm sure... ran all over the country side. No issues.