Forum Index > Partners > Mountaineering Partner
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
avlfive

avlfive
PostThu Jan 12, 2017 12:52 pm 
What's up? I'm a dude that likes to climb mountains, scramble, backpack and hike. Looking for a mountaineering partner or someone to tag along with for some 3-day or weekend climbs this season. I have a list of stuff I'd like to climb but am open to go anywhere from the N. Cascades down to Northern / Middle Oregon. I plan on doing Rainier again at least a couple times. I have no problem soloing a lot of things but obviously there's some climbs where that's not advised. I have experience in roped glacier travel and am looking to do a bunch more going forward. If you have any questions about my experience or whatever, feel free to ask. Peace!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
countinglampposts
Chris

countinglampposts
Chris
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 1:26 pm 
Hey man, I just got back from mountaineering in the Andes and I'm looking to keep my skills sharp. I have all of mountaineering gear here and I'm looking to get out as soon as possible. Shoot me a message if you're interested and let me know what you're looking to do.

-Chris
avlfive

avlfive
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 9:40 am 
Nice man! Thanks! How was it over there? I hear you about wanting to get out ASAP. I'm going stir crazy, haha. I have a couple of smaller, non-technical, one-day trips in mind for the next couple weekends or so. I'll holler at you when I start getting stuff figured out.

steffenwolf
Steffen

steffenwolf
Steffen
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:41 pm 
Hey there avl. Looking to climb rainier and or baker in June/July. No experience but would not be a liability. (see my background on Partners-Rainier 2017 post and let me know if you're interested)

"I didn't go up there to die. I went up there to live." - R. Messner
avlfive

avlfive
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 pm 
steffenwolf wrote:
Hey there avl. Looking to climb rainier and or baker in June/July. No experience but would not be a liability. (see my background on Partners-Rainier 2017 post and let me know if you're interested)
PM sent.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:27 pm 
Any interest in Olympus this summer?

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
avlfive

avlfive
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 8:07 am 
I am very interested in Olympus. I have to see what my schedule allows since that's like 3+days from what I remember in my brief research. I would LOVE to though. It's on the list. (What ISN'T though)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:08 am 
avlfive wrote:
I have to see what my schedule allows since that's like 3+days from what I remember in my brief research.
For some reference planning, I summited Olympus last summer (5 days), and I would have not wanted to try it any quicker than that. However, I'm not a 30-40 year old, with consistently conditioned hiking/alpine legs under me (I'm 65 and I hike a mountain about once a year when I get out to visit the grandkids, although I do do what I can to get ready for these excursions: train in the gym, snowshoe through the golf course when we have enough snow to do so, hike the local small hills and so on). Anyway, the first day was an easy hike, second day was quite strenuous, summit day was ~14 hours from Glacier meadows camp, and the return (2 days) was easy. So there is one guy's report/opinion that you can factor in to your plans if you want to. And the views are worth the effort, indeed!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
avlfive

avlfive
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:33 am 
Thank you for the additional information. I hadn't researched that mountain fully yet. I just thought it looked cool and put it on the list as something to do down the line. It's always good to hear first hand about. The views and rewarding experience I'm sure will be worth the effort. Thanks again for the info and advice!

Bman

Bman
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 11:12 am 
Hi there. My name is Bryan, I have 32 years climbing and hiking experience, from the White Mountains of NH to Rainier and Alaska, I lasted summited Hood in 2015, I am interested in getting out more this year to do some climbing. I live in coastal southern Oregon, have my own vehicle and can meet for 2-3 day weekend trips. I have my own gear (boots, crampons, ice axes, tents, snowshoes, harness, slings and ascenders) and would love to climb Baker, Rainier, Glacier, North Sister, or even hike and camp. I also have Wilderness first Responder (NOLS) experience, re certified 5 times, although my last one just expired and I failed to renew due to funding. I'm 46 yo, good sense of humor, plays well with others and I have already started my conditioning workouts for the season. That all said, it's been over 15 years since I been on rainier, I do not have a rope any longer and I would have to spend a day on the mountain, re-learning crevasse rescue techniques, although I have done them before on the Ingraham Glacier "Flats" on the Muir Highway; I am very much interested in doing the Camp Sherman route of Rainier. I'm looking for winter and Spring 2017 climbing partners, preferably in Middle and Southern OR due to travel, however, with the right trip I can make it North. My friends and I are talking of a Olympic NP trip as well, I want to hike in and climb Mt Olympus, not all my friends would do this, but if partners can be found this would be a great trip. Let's talk, let's plan, but above all let's get out there and climb.

Bryan
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 3:17 am 
avlfive wrote:
Thank you for the additional information. I hadn't researched that mountain fully yet. I just thought it looked cool and put it on the list as something to do down the line. It's always good to hear first hand about. The views and rewarding experience I'm sure will be worth the effort. Thanks again for the info and advice!
Hey, I've done Olympus and highly recommend it. If you're young and in shape it can be easily done in 3 days assuming you have good weather. I've climbed many mountains in the cascades and am always looking for partners for some technical routes. Pm me and maybe we can work something out!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue Jan 24, 2017 4:59 pm 
For those interested in an Olympus trip this summer. Days of July 28-31, give or take a day, works really well for me. Let me know if you would be seriously interested in this climb.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.