Forum Index > Trip Reports > Ignoble Knob (High Dalles Point 6176) Jan 13, 2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:13 pm 
We were looking for something safe and scenic on this Friday the 13th and decided on this hike. We found no parking on FR 7170, which is one mile beyond Buck Ck Campground, and backtracked down to highway 410 a few hundred yards north to an unmarked road where we found an area big enough for a couple of cars under the power lines. You can also find some nearby wide spots plowed out along 410. We walked through the forest back to FR 7170 and found the trailhead for Deep Ck just beyond the turnaround at the end of the short road.
FR 7170.
FR 7170.
Deep Ck.
Deep Ck.
Beginning of trail 100 yards past turnaround on FR 7170.
Beginning of trail 100 yards past turnaround on FR 7170.
We were pleased to find the trail broken to 4000' where tracks abruptly ended at a saddle. Onward we forged breaking trail in decent snow with no post holing up to the ridge top at 6000' where a grand view of Rainier greeted us. We stopped for lunch here and watched snowmobilers buzzing around below before deciding where to go next. Our choices were right for Mutton Mtn or left for Noble Knob.
Nice forest on the ascent.
Nice forest on the ascent.
Almost to the top of the ridge.
Almost to the top of the ridge.
Don relaxing on the ridge at 6000' with Mutton Mtn behind.
Don relaxing on the ridge at 6000' with Mutton Mtn behind.
Great view of The Mountain from here.
Great view of The Mountain from here.
Ignoble Knob is the unofficially named 6176' highpoint of Dalles Ridge so we walked over there to start. http://www.peakbagger.com/peak.aspx?pid=37578 The first bump wasn't convincing enough so I walked to the next where I was satisfied that I had hit the highpoint. The drop to Noble Knob didn't look too appealing so that will be left for another day when driving to nearby Corral Pass makes it a short jaunt.
The lower and more well-known Noble Knob from the higher and lesser known Ignoble Knob 6176.'
The lower and more well-known Noble Knob from the higher and lesser known Ignoble Knob 6176.'
Some Goat Rocks.
Some Goat Rocks.
Rainier over the White River Valley.
Rainier over the White River Valley.
I was hoping to walk over to nearby Mutton Mtn as well but laziness and the desire to sit on the ridge top and stare at Mt Rainier overcame us instead. That can be done on another day as well.
Looking back down the ridge on the descent from Ignoble Knob.
Looking back down the ridge on the descent from Ignoble Knob.
On the ridge top.
On the ridge top.
Raven Roost 6198' and the ginormous Manastash Ridge in the background.
Raven Roost 6198' and the ginormous Manastash Ridge in the background.
And yes, there are Noble Firs near the top of the ridge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostFri Jan 13, 2017 11:22 pm 
up.gif Nice! You were lucky to have that existing track!

BlameTheDogz

BlameTheDogz
PostSat Jan 06, 2018 10:42 pm 
A group of us went up to Ignoble on 1-5-17. I wish I had done a bit more research as the Norse Peak area fire extended into the area and caused serious damage all of the way to the creek. The way was slow going through the burnt out lower area and even the lower ridge, but the views were, indeed, great 360 and more than I anticipated for that zone. Cheers!

striving to stand like mountain yet flow like water, and make the dogs happy
FredV

FredV
PostMon Dec 16, 2019 5:51 pm 
We snowshoed to Ignoble Knob on Dec 15, 2019. Road 7170 was good for driving to the trail. About 2 feet of fresh snow on ridge line. No wind and occasional sun breaks. Surprisingly there were tracks to follow for much of the way up in the snow up to the ridgeline at 6000ft. We went left on the ridge about 0.6 miles to Ignoble Knob (aka Point 6176). It was so going with the deep snow. It is a great destination and we had an awesome time!