bigskywalker
Big Sky Walker
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 8:07 am 
Happy trails! bigskywalker.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 10:27 am 
Thanks for the pics, memories. Been there several times. I've done the Norris Traverse (connecting to Blackfoot Basin Traverse) all the way thru twice and been up on the Divide there a handful of other times (traversing from Dawson Pass).

Off trail rambler
gb

gb
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:58 am 
The only significant peak I ever attempted in Glacier was Mt. Logan which looked reasonable on maps and with a view. The route from Blackfoot Basin went onto the north shoulder of the peak, then traversed a very narrow (3-6") goat trail that was often just above the lip of small cliffs - one slip and that would be it. We apparently missed the "route" up the upper N/NW face and traversed across the upper south face which was pretty high angle hard dirt and gravelly scree. Had we made it to the SE ridge it may very well have gone but the exposure and poor footing made us turn around. (Almost needed crampons.) After that trip, I gave away my Glacier National Park climbing guide. Don't know about Triple Divide peak or Norris or James, but it seemed to me that the rock in Glacier is even worse than that of the Canadian Rockies - less solid rock and more hard scree at pretty high angles. I would still be interested in Siyeh, which looks long but easy, and Blackfeet, which is for the most part still on snow/ice. Glacier is doubtless a beautiful park, but it didn't look to me that there were many climbs that would be appealing. Most ordinarily climbs of peaks in other ranges with similar slope angles/ridgelines would be enjoyable but, wow, the "rock" in Glacier seems something else.

SKS

SKS
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 11:18 am 
up.gif up.gif

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 5:24 pm 
Rock in Glacier isn't the best, "one hand to climb, one to hold the rock together". I've been on that goat trail leading from Almost-a-Dog Pass across Logan's west face. Memory has it as OK but if you went up towards the summit too early I think it'd be creepy.

Off trail rambler