Forum Index > Trip Reports > South Mountain on 1/14/17 (take 2 this time with views!): Olympic Peninsula
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 5:19 pm 
We had snowshoed South Mountain with "Meck" two weeks ago but we were robbed of our views by the weather. We just had to get back up there on a sunny day to see what we had missed, so today was the day! South Mountain sits on Green Diamond land just past Dayton, WA (Near Matlock, WA). It is open to hikers. The forest road to the gate was snow/ice free and in good condition today. We got up bright and early and happily drove towards the South Mountain closed gate. We were suddenly stopped 2 miles prior to our destination by a closed gate that on our previous trip had been open. Maybe the wind blew it closed??? But noooooo...it was locked up tight (later we found out this gate closes after January 1st). What do you do - get out and walk the extra two miles each way. So after Woody stopped and howled at the moon in dismay we hoofed on down the road and watched the sunrise. As we were walking down the road we came across a truck unloading a dozen Coon Dogs. With the dog handler was a government vehicle so we stopped and chatted for a moment. They were on the hunt for Cougars in the area to put tracking collars on them. The dogs must have caught a scent because off they ran baying at the top of their lungs. We continued on our road walk and reached the proper closed South Mountain gate. This entire hike is a road walk and we encountered a mix of gravel, ice and snow. We brought snowshoes but they never went on our feet. We often wonder how many times we have drug snowshoes up and down the mountain without using them... We reached the summit (tower area) under beautiful blue skies and were rewarded with the views we had missed last time. This a great destination that is only about an hour from Olympia. Today with having to deal with the extra closed gate our mileage was 12.4 miles and our gain was 2800 feet. Top elevation of South Mountain is 3040'. If you are looking for an avalanche safe, non-technical hike or snowshoe with some pretty darn good views we think this is a winner.
Woody starting our hike howling at the moon!
Woody starting our hike howling at the moon!
Sunrise..... early start
Sunrise..... early start
Mount Rainier as the sun is rising
Mount Rainier as the sun is rising
Mount Adams
Mount Adams
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
Mount St. Helens
Mount St. Helens
South Mountain summit (tower)
South Mountain summit (tower)
Time to head home...
Time to head home...
On our walk out..
On our walk out..

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meck

meck
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 7:25 pm 
Perfect views, the whole southern Olys!! Thank you for posting those pics (now I know what I missed), boy that's a lot of snow out there!

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jan 14, 2017 8:20 pm 
awesome ... great blue bird day! happy new year to you two! rockband.gif

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 9:35 am 
Happy New Year to you too bobbi!! smile.gif

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 2:47 pm 
seekapeak wrote:
We were suddenly stopped 2 miles prior to our destination by a closed gate that on our previous trip had been open. Maybe the wind blew it closed??? But noooooo...it was locked up tight (later we found out this gate closes after January 1st).
Sorry that gate was closed for you. As recently as last week (January 5th) I drove right through on the 800 road to the closed gate at the base of the road to the top of South Mountain. The gate that you found to be locked was wide open. Look at the bright side.....you got more exercise on a perfect winter day! smile.gif Interesting about the cougars.....I know that they are always out there, and have seen their tracks loads of times, but in all of my trips over the years I have only seen two.....probably 1/100th of the times they have seen me! eek.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
seekapeak

seekapeak
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 3:35 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Sorry that gate was closed for you. As recently as last week (January 5th) I drove right through on the 800 road to the normally closed gate at the base of the road to the top of South Mountain.
Thanks Brushbuffalo! Do you know the schedule of when that gate closes and re-opens? We talked to the Coon Dog handler and he said they normally lock it after the first of January but sounds like it was still open for you on the 5th. Might give Green Diamond a call and see what the timing is.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Jan 15, 2017 3:50 pm 
Sorry I can't help with your question about the gate and when it us opened or closed. South Mountain is quite a distance from my usual stomping grounds around Bellingham. I was just a visitor in the area on Jan. 5th. I suppose I lucked out in finding an open gate on the main 800 road.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still