Forum Index > Trip Reports > Fragrance Lake, Lost Lake, Rock Trail Ramble 1/13/2017
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 4:25 pm 
Had about 11.5 miles of fun on Friday on Blanchard Mountain, hoping to explore it before any more logging happens. I went in search of the waterfall on the east side of Lost Lake and had fun circumnavigating the lake in the process. That Rock Trail is pretty amazing, although there were quite a few large chunks of ice on the trail from the icicles hanging off all that cool rock. Might want to bring a helmet as the weather warms up! http://www.musthikemusteat.com/on-the-puget-sound/fragrance-lost-lake-rock-trail-double-diamond-loop/

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Anatoli
Anatoli

Anatoli
Anatoli
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 5:23 pm 
I read your trip report yesterday drinking my first cup of coffee. Got inspired, booted up and did the route. Thanks! It was sunny, Lost Lake was still frozen, and Loki and I really enjoyed the off trail bushwack around the south end of the lake. We emerged right at the Rock Trail junction. Was really impressed by 4 senior women powering up the Rock trail, not even breathing hard, then another ( perhaps 80!) running up the mountain. Very humbling. Thanks to all who worked on building the Rock Trail. This is now my favorite trail in The Chuckanuts and is an amazing example of the craft. I haven't seen new trail construction done this artfully in memory.

JimK

JimK
PostFri Feb 03, 2017 8:04 pm 
Thanks for the report. The Rock Trail is a favorite. There are not many places around here with all that sandstone.

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 5:10 pm 
Anatoli wrote:
I haven't seen new trail construction done this artfully in memory.
I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I agree, the trail is well designed to accent the rock features. I'll definitely be back myself.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 5:13 pm 
JimK wrote:
Thanks for the report.
You are very welcome! The sandstone reminded me of our trip to Mesa Verde NP last summer, similar little eroded cubby holes and striations.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 10:27 am 
Snuffy wrote:
Blanchard Mountain, hoping to explore it before any more logging happens.
You will be encouraged to know that the area you hiked (Fragrance Lake, Rock Trail, Lost Lake) is within Larrabee SP on Chuckanut Mountain and is not on Blanchard Mountain, which is on the southeast (other) side of Oyster Creek. Chuckanut Mountain is not up for logging. If you wish solitude don't consider taking a hike on Chuckanut on March 18th this year, when the 25th year of the Chuckanut Mountain 50 km is being celebrated. There will be over 550 runners all over these mountain trails. Then again, you might want to watch. Some of the fastest trail runners in North America are entered, plus a lot of "normal" folks. Or even volunteer!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Snuffy

Snuffy
PostSun Feb 05, 2017 7:33 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
There will be over 550 runners all over these mountain trails.
Thank you! I realized just after writing this post originally that I had lumped the two mountains together. I was thinking about what I have seen over in Wallace Falls, for example, where DNR runs up to state. Hopefully, that doesn't happen in the Chuckanuts. As for the race, that does sound like a lot of fun but I have a retreat in Warm Beach that weekend. I do appreciate the heads up, however, I now know not to try and run up there for a short day hike that day!