Forum Index > Trip Reports > Natapoc Mountain, 1/14/17 - With Pics!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 4:57 pm 
Party: Huron & Mesahchie Mark Mode: BC Ski Route: FR 6601 out of Plain (follow the power lines) New year, new ski gear. Also, realization that I had not skied for almost 4 years! Time to fix that. I picked up Huron (H) Saturday morning and we headed over the pass. Earlier thoughts of doing a resort day morphed into a backcountry ski idea. I suggested Natapoc, a top 100 peak (for peaks near Cole's Corner), primarily for the fact it is #119 on the Washington Prominence 2000 list, and it's relatively low elevation of 4214'. RichP's TR from last year was our guide. By the way, it was COLD Saturday...temperature outside the car read 0°F while driving past Cle Elum! Fortunately, there seemed to be an inversion at work. By the time we got to Plain, it was probably close to 10°F. Our trailhead was the access to FR 6601, approximately 1800'. To get there, drive from 11worth to Plain on Hwy 209. Once in Plain, cross the Wenatchee River and take the next left onto River Road. Follow it south 1.5 mi to the power lines (impossible to miss) and park. River Road was compact snow-and-ice, and so we had snow to start on.
New Skis!!!
New Skis!!!
Under the Power Lines
Under the Power Lines
H Gets Ready
H Gets Ready
We started shortly after 10 AM. There is a snowmobile path up much of FR 6601, so breaking trail wasn't an issue for the first 1000' of el. Somewhere past 2800' el, it was clear we were cresting the ridge, so we took a left and headed southwesterly, taking turns breaking trail. The snow was actually quite nice, lots of powder. The cold temps had kept it from icing up, or from falling off the trees.
Begin the Skin
Begin the Skin
Natapoc
Natapoc
View of the Valley
View of the Valley
Oh yeah, trees. Lots of trees. Heavily forested, even. This would be of significance later. H and I kept a good steady rate up the mountain, being careful to avoid logs and other obstacles. The inversion and the exertion kept us from getting cold, although my Gatorade quickly froze up. When we finally reached the north summit, it was apparent we had traveled over the crest and were coming up from the west side, which was mildly disorienting.
H Ascends
H Ascends
N Summit Trees
N Summit Trees
H North Summit
H North Summit
Mesahchie N Summit
Mesahchie N Summit
Off to the True Summit
Off to the True Summit
We reached the true summit just before 1:30 PM. Views were peekaboo at best, too many trees. We moved quickly to get into ski-mode, and the cold made itself known.
Natapoc Summit Selfie
Natapoc Summit Selfie
All the way up, we told each other we would follow our tracks back down. But now on the summit, H suggested and I agreed we could ski back heading northeasterly. Initially, this seemed to work as I re-learned how to ski and dodge trees at the same time. But the further we went, the more the terrain pushed us lower than we wanted to go... Then there was trouble! Our traverse soon became a struggle through a series of gullies, each replete with logs and other vegetation to avoid. The sugary snow became a liability, making it difficult to reset or ascend. We were forced to re-apply the skins to better negotiation the obstacles. On several occasions, I found it easier to carry the gear and hoof it. So, instead of a simple, quick descent, we spent of much of the afternoon getting back to the power lines. Exhausted, cold and sore, we got back to FR 6601 just as it was starting to get dark. My legs were shot, so it was hard to enjoy the ski out. We were back at the car by 5 PM. It wasn't exactly how I wanted my first trip on my new gear to go, but we were out and got a peak, so I score it a win regardless!

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
twodogdad

twodogdad
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 5:02 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
I had not skied for almost 4 years! Time to fix that.
up.gif we'll fix the rest. HNY! N

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:25 am 
up.gif Natapoc Ridge can really get snow loaded from the West winds.

Living in the Anthropocene
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:08 pm 
RichP talked me into going with him to this peak and I'm glad he did. The powerline section wasn't great but the rest was. I'm glad you didn't run into cliffs trying to find a short cut way back -- as I recall there are some on the east side.