Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kromona Mine and Blue Mt., Combat zone snowshoeing at Olney Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 5:20 pm 
Sunday seemed like a good day to not go near Highway 2, so we made a quick right turn from my house and headed up the Sultan Basin Road to Olney Pass to check out a couple of roads for a sunny day snowshoe. I had been up to Blue Mountain with Triciaann last winter, but no views were to be had due to the usual clouds and fog that tend to congregate in that area. Also, I wanted to check out the Kromona Mine road while it was snow covered, because it is a major brush fest the rest of the year. We were surprised at how much heavy snow the trees still carried as we got close to the pass. The road was definitely AWD, 4WD or chains, or 2WD with aggressive snow tires, very slick all the way up. The snow appeared to be twice as deep as last year when we arrived at Olney Pass, and we had the whole parking lot to ourselves about 11:30 am.
Olney Pass Road conditions 1/15/17
Olney Pass Road conditions 1/15/17
Snow covered kiosk at Olney Pass 1/15/17
Snow covered kiosk at Olney Pass 1/15/17
We put our snowshoes on and headed up the Kromona Mine Road, hoping to see some views of Big Four, Vesper and company, but discovered the trees have grown up so much, we could only get a handful of peek a boo views.
Deep snow on the road to Kromona Mine 1/15/17
Deep snow on the Kromona Mine Road 1/15/17
Deep snow on the Kromona Mine Road 1/15/17
Snow cap on Boulder, Kromona Mine Road 1/15/17
Snow cap on Boulder, Kromona Mine Road 1/15/17
After about an hour of marching through the snow in the freezing cold shade, we decided the sunny clearcut slopes of Blue Mountain just down the road were much more appealing, so we headed back. It only took a few minutes to drive back to the Blue Mountain "trailhead" which actually doubles as a target shooting range. A group of shooters were all set up with lawn chairs having a grand old time skeet shooting with their automatic weapons. Undaunted, I put on my best smile and informed them that we were going to snowshoe through their target area and hope they didn't mind. biggrin.gif They looked a little startled, but politely put their weapons down while we trudged past. My snowshoeing partner had already put in earplugs, so he didn't mind when they resumed their ear-splitting endeavors shortly after we passed by, but I worked my way up the hill as fast as I could to save my poor eardrums from further injustice.
Heading up the road to Blue Mountain 1/15/16
Heading up the road to Blue Mountain 1/15/16
I was surprised to see how many trees had been clearcut since last summer, but it was to our benefit, because it wasn't long before we began to see some very nice views to the north and east.
First views east from the Blue Mountain Road 1/15/16
The further up the road we proceeded, the better the views became.
Pano view north from Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Pano view north from Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Big Four and Vesper 1/15/17
Big Four and Vesper 1/15/17
Vesper Peak from Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Vesper Peak from Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Sperry and Morningstar 1/15/17
Sperry and Morningstar 1/15/17
Big Four and Vesper from the road up Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Big Four and Vesper from the road up Blue Mountain 1/15/17
We could still hear the automatic weapons booming off in the distance, but the sparkling snow, warm sun and spectacular views made it all worth it. Along the way, we encountered many interesting wildlife tracks.
Following animal tracks up Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Following animal tracks up Blue Mountain 1/15/17
Animal tracks, Blue Mountain 1/15/17
There must have been a temperature inversion, because as we approached the summit, the snow conditions changed to "Cascade Concrete" and one pair of snowshoes began to accumulate a ridiculous amount of snow, so we decided to head back. My partner took his off and booted it back down with no problem, while I opted to keep on the MSR Lightning Ascents since they were still working well. By the time we got back to the target shooting range, everyone had gone home, so we loaded up the car in peace and quiet and headed back down the road, very carefully, as the road was still quite treacherous, especially lower down, where it was just like driving on an ice skating rink.
Solid ice all the way back to Kellogg Lake Road 1/15/17

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 3:38 am 
nancyann, Great pics/info for a place close to home here in Lk. Stevens. Is the county still talking about an official shooting range up there? I remember the nudist camp objected, maybe with an appeal/lawsuit, then backed out. Tom: AKA Sno. Cnty Land Use Watch Dawg...

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:56 am 
Good question, Tom! I haven't heard a word about that proposed site for several years. I wonder if the nudist colony dropped the suit because the project was shelved for other reasons. I'll ask around and if I hear anything, I'll let you know, Mr. Sno Cnty Land Use Watch Dawg! wink.gif

Ringangleclaw

Ringangleclaw
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 11:44 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Is the county still talking about an official shooting range up there? I remember the nudist camp objected, maybe with an appeal/lawsuit, then backed out. Tom: AKA Sno. Cnty Land Use Watch Dawg...
Well Mr Watch Dog (?), it appears on their current website, last updated in 2014. We should assume this isn't dead, just moving along at the creakey pace local governmemt does when the homelss or high-priced bicycles aren't involved. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/2706/Sky-Valley-Shooting-Park

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:12 pm 
Thanks for the info, Ringangleclaw. The illegal target shooters (there is one "no shooting" sign left up there) leave an amazing amount of spent shells, personal trash, and much more in their favorite spots. You would think that it might occur to them that for good public relations, they would want to clean up after themselves. rant.gif

Dlab

Dlab
PostMon Jan 23, 2017 4:44 pm 
It's not dead, they are working on a land swap with the DNR as the earmarked spot is not very suitable. Debbie Copple at the Sultan visitors center can give you the full low down.