Forum Index > Gear Talk > Overnight with Teton Oasis 1200 Backpack?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anthony

Anthony
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 10:49 pm 
My wife and I are novice day hikers. Until recently we had a couple of tiny backpacks, barely large enough to hold a drink and a sandwich. Better suited for a walk at the park than a day on the trails. We've been trying to do more hiking, so I bought us a pair of Teton Oasis 1200 backpacks for Christmas. We probably won't have the opportunity to try them out for a few months, but I've been wondering if it would be possible to do overnight hikes with these packs? We generally aim for 3-6 mile day hikes, so staying overnight would allow us to explore trails and destinations we may otherwise rule out because of the distance. I'm not talking about multi-day treks, just a simple hike in, stay the night, and hike out. Would a sleeping bag and tent even fit in the 20 liter Teton 1200 pack? I haven't seen any reviews mentioning they have done this, so I'm guessing it's probably not possible with a pack this size?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostMon Jan 16, 2017 11:44 pm 
20 Liters is really more of a day pack. A really experienced ultralight hiker with the right gear could make it work, but it's really too small for a novice backpacker. A light summer weight down sleeping bag is around 6 to 8 liters.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Anthony

Anthony
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:10 am 
Quote:
it's really too small for a novice backpacker
That's what I thought. We just got new packs and I started dreaming big! smile.gif Compared to our old packs the 20L packs seem huge, but I couldn't see how we would ever get a sleeping bag and tent in there. No worries, there are plenty of day hikes to keep us old farts busy. Thanks for the feedback, Anthony

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 4:09 pm 
As a practical matter, consider 60 L (3600 cu. in.) a starting point for a backpack. A 40 L (2400 cu. in.) pack can be either a very large day pack or a very small weekend backpack. 70 L (4200 cu. in.) can be either a spacious weekend backpack or a small week long pack. It depends on how much your gear weighs, how much space it takes up, and how long your trip is. A 20 L pack is not just "more of a day pack". It is absolutely a day pack. A small one at that, quite suitable for very short day hikes anytime and longer day hikes in the summer. IMO, 20 L is too small for a full-on long winter day outing. The number one rule of any pack is to make sure it fits your torso length. Info is available online or from a knowledgeable salesperson. The fanatical ounce counters will naturally have their own recommended sizes. With the evolution of super light gear, there has never been a better time to be an ounce counter. But you have to acquire all that $$$$$$ gear $$$$$ first.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 7:53 pm 
The most popular pack for thru hiking the PCT is a ULA Conduit which is a 50 li. pack. Lots of people use it on the JMT which requires a bear cache.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
over the hill

over the hill
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 9:49 pm 
2016 PTC survey of backpacks used. I think the Catalyst will take the larger Bearvault horizontally and vertically, whereas the Circuit only vertically. I'd love to try either one. You could probably pick up a used Atmos 65 for pretty cheap as there's been a lot sold. In fact, I have one. I don't recommend overloading it though. 1. ULA Circuit 2. Osprey Exos 58 3. ZPacks Arc Blast 50 4. Osprey Atmos 65 AG 5. ULA Catalyst