Forum Index > Trail Talk > Craziness on the lakes in Deception Pass State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 am 
The wife and I went for a hike in Deception Pass State Park on Sunday. When we came into the park from the north on highway 20 to that lake on the west side right at Rosario Road (can't remember the name) we saw dozens and dozens of people walking on the frozen lake, far out to the middle. They had kids with them, even babies in a couple of instances. What are these people thinking?? This is western Washington, not Minnesota. That ice may have been BARELY thick enough to hold the weight but BARELY is the term- we were so afraid that when we come back by after our hike we'd see emergency vehicles there with one or more people having fallen through- but fortunately that did not seem to be the case since people were still out there walking around a couple hours later when we left. It surprises me that the park didn't have signs posted saying the ice is unsafe, or even rangers occasionally swinging by to yell at people to get off the ice.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:39 am 
The ice was four inches thick on Lake Lucerne in Maple Valley. That's more than enough to support a car. How are you so certain that it wasn't safe? Do you know that these people didn't drill a test hole to assess safety?

If not now, when?
jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 10:53 am 
Ah, I didn't know it could have been that thick. I just knew it's rare to get any ice on a lake around here and local meteorologists have been pleading for people to stay off the ice because it is too thin to safely support the weight.

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 11:07 am 
the ice is 4 inches thick on lake Wapato in Tacoma..a few melt holes in the middle where the birds hang out. Thats the thickest I've seen it in several years..now its covered with a bunch of large rocks as people try to break it, mostly to no avail.

SKS

SKS
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 11:10 am 
I agree with your concern about safety on the lakes in the area. The majority of the people who were out on the ice had no good idea how thick the ice was or how thick it had to be to be safe. I'd bet the people you saw weren't carrying drills around to check the ice, either.

jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 am 
No, not at all. It was huge crowds, families, kids, etc- just people wandering around on the ice.

FishnWishn

FishnWishn
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:13 pm 
About 15 years ago my wife and I and two friends decided to cross-country ski on Lake Louise in Banff. It was mid-winter and we could see a horse-drawn sleigh venturing onto the ice to turn around at the far end of the lake. It was a drought year and the ice was thinly covered with snow. We noticed several darkish areas several hundred yards away from shore and assumed the wind had swept away the snow. We skied on the lake for a couple of hours and as we were returning we happened to venture close to one of the dark areas. I was in the lead and suddenly had the sensation my skis had become very heavy. I screamed for my companions to stop and turn around as I struggled to turn myself. I made it but spent about 15 minutes chipping caked ice off my skis. I knew there were hot springs in the area, but never dreamed there might be thermal springs in the lake that could create thin ice. There were no warning signs at the lake nor postings at the lodge. I'm much more cautious on ice now.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:24 pm 
As someone that grew up here, has no experience with frozen lakes, and has no idea how to tell if it's safe or not, my default is to stay off the ice, even if I see other people on it. I sure am not going to assume that all of those strangers are smart enough to know that it is completely safe. That sounds like a crazy scene to me too.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:32 pm 
jm31828 wrote:
It surprises me that the park didn't have signs posted saying the ice is unsafe, or even rangers occasionally swinging by to yell at people to get off the ice.
Yes, they should put up a bunch of sign, even carve warning in granite rocks like they do at the Big 4 Ice Caves, that works rally well to keep people out of the caves. bricks.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 12:50 pm 
We used to commonly skate on Lake Padden in Bellingham back in the 70s.

jm31828

jm31828
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 1:12 pm 
Good call, I've seen those and we all know how foolish people are to still ignore them.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 1:25 pm 
Or drill a hole out in the middle of the frozen lake and stick a mannequin's arm out of it... eek.gif JOKING, I am sure that would bring even more people out onto the ice.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 2:08 pm 
They were playing hockey on the lake last week. My dog said no way was she going out there. She's a bit smarter then me so neither did I.
Conrad wrote:
We used to commonly skate on Lake Padden in Bellingham back in the 70s.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 2:42 pm 
Edgewood wrote:
They were playing hockey on the lake last week.
I saw a bunch of crows playing hockey at Meadowbrook Pond years ago. Okay, not quite, but they were close. Some were chipping at the ice with their beaks, others were pushing sticks or pebbles around on the ice. A hockey game wasn't far off in their evolutionary development.

JorgeGhr

JorgeGhr
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 3:24 pm 
Here is a infographic on Ice thickness bearing strength: