Forum Index > Trail Talk > Craziness on the lakes in Deception Pass State Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:07 pm 
Here I am standing on Priest Lake in February 5 years ago....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 10:30 pm 
Deception Pass park manager cautions visitors to stay off icy lakes
Quote:
Park rangers at Deception Pass State Park have posted “danger” signs, warning people to stay off the rapidly melting ice at Pass and Cranberry lakes.
Chief Joseph - I didn't know you walked on water

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:59 am 
I saw the ice at Deception too and wished I had brought my skates although I saw no tracks. I have been skating on beaver ponds near Lk. Stevens for over a week. Once a good rain hits the ice all bets are off and I go away. PS: There's an old photo in Lake Stevens Historical Society of cars parked on ice on Lake. I have been here 27 years and never seen even a skim of ice on the edges. Too much eutrophication. tom

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:48 am 
I went up to Blanca lake two separate days for skiing in December 2013. On the 8th, after much inspection, and first half avoidance, I partially skiied across the lake on my way up. On the 10th, At virgin lake I started hearing the weirdest noise. As I made the turn to do the downhill section to Blanca, the noise grew louder and louder. It was eerie, and making my hair stand on end. The lake had 6"s of bare ice. As I approached, I heard the loudest crack, like lightning. Immediately followed by a very loud, sub aquatic, bassy noise reverberating under the ice. I went to the lake edge to check the ice again, Three strikes in with my ice axe, and a crack went from between my feet, all the way to the other shoreline. I could feel the bass! Wish I had an audio recorder. Stayed off the lake, and took the shoreline for a change. In Michigan, ice fisherman also routinely go out knowing there might be a break up. Not at all uncommon to hear of guys floating on a flow in lake St Clair. Some having multiple 'rescues'.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 8:51 am 
JustSomeHiker, when I read the OP my first thought was that this is a form of the Bystander Effect in action, or similar dynamics.

Off trail rambler
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 am 
This was a cold snap, but not really that cold (I only made it down to 12 and the day temps were above freezing). ale_capone
Quote:
I went up to Blanca lake two separate days for skiing in December 2013. On the 8th, after much inspection, and first half avoidance,
At my place, just outside of Redmond, WA, that cold spell in Dec 2013 got down to 7 for a couple of nights, the ones in Dec 2008 (down to 1) & 2009 were even colder and for longer. A friend has a shallow (less than 8 ft deep-1 acre) lake on the Sammamish plateau that we usually get the chance to skate on (ice greater than 3”) at least once every couple of years.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 1:10 am 
Man and Woman go into lake in enclosed snow machine: http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/ottawa/west-quebec-dramatic-rescue-car-plunges-into-icy-lake-1.3944217

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:02 am 
My wife grew up in Montreal and says that cars sink into lakes a handful of times every year in Quebec, yet so many people do it anyway.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 9:48 pm