Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Endangered Species Act Endangered
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:05 pm 
This could be a game changer Republicans Plan to Roll Back Parts of the Landmark Endangered Species Act
Quote:
Republicans are readying plans to roll back the influence of the Endangered Species Act, one of the government’s most powerful conservation tools, after decades of complaints that it hinders drilling, logging and other activities.
(I have a feeling the Stewardship forum is going to get pretty busy in the coming weeks and months)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:59 pm 
Nothing but a bunch of lousy crooks; kleptocrats bought and payed for by corporations to do their dirty work. rant.gif Nothing we can do now but write to our representatives, hope the GOP loses big time at the mid terms, and that there's a country left to salvage by the time we have a chance at getting a decent president in 2020. The next 2-4 years are going to be difficult and potentially tragic for our public lands and environment. shakehead.gif

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
drm

drm
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:29 am 
Republicans had the White House and Congress from 2000 to 2006 and failed to change the ESA. Unless they are willing to get rid of the 60 vote requirement in the Senate, they will probably again satisfy themselves with just defunding it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 am 
There were still R's that cared for the enviornment then they mostly all got purged by the tea party after 2008. A hard rains gonna fall huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Klapton

Klapton
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 11:18 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
There were still R's that cared for the enviornment then they mostly all got purged by the tea party after 2008. A hard rains gonna fall huh.gif
All the D's that cared about peace disappeared at the same time. I wonder if they are somehow connected? As with all bloviations of politicians, I will believe it when I see it. By all means, contact your "representatives." The people they are actually representing are the highest bidders. Find out which crony is lined up to profit from this proposed change, and you will find out who is actually "represented" in congress.

Humptulips

Humptulips
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:08 pm 
Well, it's not going away but I certainly hope that some changes happen. It has turned into a cash cow for groups of lawyers who's sole purpose seems to be to get paid by the courts. Right in these forums I see animals listed that are not now or never have been endangered, wolves and polar bears being what I am talking about. Other examples come to mind. The act has lost it's way from the original conception.

Gregory

Gregory
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 7:50 am 
I would even go so far as to say that it has become a driving force in the demise of our fisheries.Our politicians and the tribes have figured out there is more money in ESA than there is managing fisheries.When your lively hood depends on the fisheries being in jeopardy, where is the incentive to solve the problems and bring the fisheries back to healthy populations?.Add to this the complete lack of accountability we have allowed our government to operate with and they do more harm than good.Without accountability, it is just a money sucking leech, thriving on the emotionally driven.

drm

drm
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:19 am 
There are many ways in which environmentalists would like to see the ESA reformed. It focuses more on individual species and not enough on habitat. Compromises that would increase protection for endangered species and reduce the burden on individual landowners where these species live have been suggested. But these usually also result in greater limits on resource extraction on Federal lands, so they have never gone far. Politicians do mostly represent donors and special interests, but it is possible for voters to overwhelm this. But it requires a level of organization and intensity that is hard to develop, so it is by far the exception to the rule.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 1:08 pm 
A number of articles I read about the quick reversal of the House doing away with their independent Ethics Commission stated that an influx of angry phone calls from constituents had more to do with it than the Trumptweets. If that's true, we are still not without influence! Of course those of you who have "R" representatives have a better chance for influence, if there are enough of you! Many of us with D reps are, for the most part, preaching to the choir. On the other hand, not all R politicians want to throw everything out, and they need encouragement!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
drm

drm
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 10:45 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
It wasn't the Rs that cared about the environment that saved the ESA and many other things during 2000-2006, it was the 60 vote requirement in the Senate. Since you can't gerrymander Senate seats, Republicans never get a significant majority in the Senate like Dems did in 2008, so unless they are willing to do away with the filibuster more than Dems did, they can't do much without getting all Republicans and eight Democrats as well.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 3:46 am 
Humptulips wrote:
It has turned into a cash cow for groups of lawyers who's sole purpose seems to be to get paid by the courts. Right in these forums I see animals listed that are not now or never have been endangered,
I didn't think you had Mazama Pocket Gophers up there in your neck of the woods. While you're all freaking out about all these "radical changes" that are being proposed by the worst comb-over in world history and his toadies, do bear in mind there are such things as "rules" in the US Senate that most of the Senate members will continue to abide by, regardless of all their posturing and bloviating. I wouldn't get too excited about any of it.... looks to me like the agenda this week is more focused on who's getting better ratings on The Apprentice than actually governing the country.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Feb 04, 2017 7:40 am 
Ski wrote:
I wouldn't get too excited about any of it.... looks to me like the agenda this week is more focused on who's getting better ratings on The Apprentice than actually governing the country.
Sad, but it made me laugh.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities