Forum Index > Trip Reports > 6 weeks in the California Eastern Sierra Mountains - Aug-Sept 2016
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:06 pm 
When life hands you lemons, go hiking I always say! hink.gif I was laid off a year ago, but still receiving severance payments so what better opportunity to head to the mountains and get me some alpine splendor! I spent my summer with the kids, but once they were headed back to school my husband gave me the green light to head to the California Sierra Mountains for 6 weeks based out of Mammoth, Bishop and Whitney Portal. The idea was to complete a series of solo backpacks and day hikes while taking civilization breaks in between. I'm not really into thru-hiking and many people asked me if I was doing the JMT since I was out so long. My personal opinion is that there's some great stuff on the PCT and JMT, but there is a heck of a lot of boring, dusty and busy trail as well. I prefer to cut it up into smaller chunks and visit the more challenging terrain to the off trail basins with better views and fewer people. First up was a 5 day trip entering at Pine Creek, through Granite Park and into Bear Lakes Basin and back out the same way.
Granite Park
Granite Park
Granite Park
Granite Park
Bear Lakes Basin
Bear Lakes Basin
Bear Lakes Basin
Bear Lakes Basin
Granite Park
Granite Park
Descending to the lake
Descending to the lake
Next was an 8 day excursion entering North Lake, up Piute Pass and over into Evolution Basin and out Lamarck Col back to North Lake. The off trail basins were stunning country with some gorgeous lakes!
Stunning alpine lake
Stunning alpine lake
Mt Humphreys
Mt Humphreys
Muriel Lake
Muriel Lake
Sunset at Evolution Lake
Sunset at Evolution Lake
High above the PCT
High above the PCT
Remote basin and lake
Remote basin and lake
Unnamed tarn
Unnamed tarn
Large and very cold lake
Large and very cold lake
Evolution Lake
Evolution Lake
From the col
From the col
I did a 10 mile leg stretcher day hike into Little Lakes Valley before scoring a last minute cancellation Mt Whitney overnight climbing permit. Incidentally I had entered the lottery earlier in the year and was unsuccessful. I wondered how that was possible since it seemed like everybody and their brother had managed to get a permit, it was the most crowded trail I experienced all trip, by far. But 2016 saw a record number of people applying for permits (13,638 applications requesting space for 64,939). The road construction caused further headaches for me because I was heading in for 6 days to explore other nearby areas and ended up having to pay for a shuttle service since I wasn't allowed to park for that many days.
Long Lake
Long Lake
Took a lot of rock hopping to get here
Took a lot of rock hopping to get here
Sunset
Sunset
Sunrise
Sunrise
En route to trail crest
En route to trail crest
See the tiny hikers?
See the tiny hikers?
Looking down on HItchcock Lakes
Looking down on HItchcock Lakes
Sierras Rock
Sierras Rock
Reflection
Reflection
My tent circled in red
My tent circled in red
The dreaded switchbacks
The dreaded switchbacks
I enjoyed another day hike into Hungry Packer Lake before bad weather hit.
Along the way to Hungry Packer
Along the way to Hungry Packer
Almost there
Almost there
Hungry Packer to myself
Hungry Packer to myself
My last hike was a 4 day trip in via Cottonwood Lakes to Miter Basin. Cottonwood Lakes was jam packed for a brisk late September weekend with even the overflow parking filled up, but I left the crowds behind at the lakes and the parking lot was empty upon my return. The basin was one of my favourite destinations all trip, although I was plagued by high winds while I was there.
Basin wandering
Basin wandering
Good place to camp
Good place to camp
Reflection
Reflection
The Sierra Mountains never seem to disappoint! Yeah you swallow a lot of dust, suck wind for the first couple days due to the high elevation and that much sun is probably not doing your skin any favours...but every moment of the 233 miles I hiked was enjoyable! (except for maybe a few of the endless boulder fields I managed to find lol.gif ) Quick stop at McArthur Burney Falls on the way home.
McArthur Burney Falls
McArthur Burney Falls
McArthur Burney Falls
McArthur Burney Falls
There are some additional photos and videos in the video I made for the trip.
California hiking trip 2016 from Weekends With Marmots on Vimeo.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:19 pm 
Ah, the Sierras! So many beautiful pictures, thanks for sharing. Glad you got the opportunity to spend some extended time in California.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 6:53 pm 
So much granite!
Quote:
civilization breaks
I like that twist on the usual perspective

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Jan 17, 2017 11:00 pm 
So many gorgeous pictures, Karen! Isn't it nice that life handed you some lemons so you could take such a wonderful trip!

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:07 am 
Karen² wrote:
My personal opinion is that there's some great stuff on the PCT and JMT, but there is a heck of a lot of boring, dusty and busy trail as well. I prefer to cut it up into smaller chunks and visit the more challenging terrain to the off trail basins with better views and fewer people.
I share that view, especially in the Sierra. Great trip report! up.gif I think Lamarck Col remains the highest point I have reached on my feet.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 1:06 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
I share that view, especially in the Sierra. Great trip report! up.gif I think Lamarck Col remains the highest point I have reached on my feet.
Lamarck Col might be my high point too. I think we overshot the col and were a little higher, pretty close to 13,000'. I got worked that day, I think I had some heat stroke or heat exhaustion developing.

contour5

contour5
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 8:47 pm 
Very nice pictures, Karen. Thanks for the deja views. The "tiny hikers" shot looks a lot like the ridge just South of Four Gables, where a rogue gust of wind nearly blew me through the gap into Horton Lakes. I self arrested with my fingernails, and can still give myself heart tremors just thinking about it...

Just_Some_Hiker

Just_Some_Hiker
PostWed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 pm 
I've only done one smash and grab trip in the Sierras -- Whitney via the Mountaineers route. Absolutely fell in love with the area and found it really hard to leave. That glacial moraine which extends from Whitney all the way down to Lone Pine is incredible. I can only imagine what that range was like when it was still glaciated.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 pm 
Thanks Karen. I used to spend a lot of time in the Sierras and your pictures are bringing back a lot of good memories.

Off trail rambler
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 pm 
eek.gif Stunning photos, and a nice reminder that I need to spend some time out that way. Never been, but it sure looks spectacular!

Moose

Moose
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:14 am 
Your photos are gorgeous! Can I ask what camera gear you took with you?

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 9:25 am 
niiice ...the gnome abides...only been thar once should git some more of that!! ok so couple of interesting things, if u don't mind me barging in on your GREAT REPORT... there is a climbing route up the south face of whitney, great rock climb, and if I was younger.... AND A funny story...there were 2 clients and a guide who encountered a newb. ranger along with a veteran ranger on the whitney trail...(I think they were climbing)...Ranger asked for their permits, as it was late in the day. Thinking quickly and seeing the nearly full moon in the sky..the guide stated OH We are Not stopping overnight, Were doing a full moon first ascent!! lol.gif lol.gif the older ranger just was like he's got ya!!

Bugs

Bugs
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 11:03 am 
Thank you for the mini-vacation!

Always out there.
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostSat Jan 21, 2017 5:15 pm 
Moose wrote:
Your photos are gorgeous! Can I ask what camera gear you took with you?
Heavy??? lol.gif I carted around a 5DMII, 24-70 f 2.8, Gitzo tripod with Markins ball head.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
ree

ree
PostSun Jan 22, 2017 4:20 pm 
Congrats on Whitney!!! Wow, what an amazing trip(s). Looks like you had gorgeous weather and love the pictures... oh my! Yes, indeed the Sierras do not disappoint! I love Little Lakes Valley. We climbed over that ridge at the end of the valley and dropped into Lake Italy there and over to the Recesses. The boulder hopping and elevation makes 4 miles seem like 14. Wonderful trip report and pictures. I prefer short jaunts with sprinkles of civilization like that too. One of the beauties of the Sierras. That, and Schat's Bakery in Bishop. smile.gif up.gif