Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mailbox parking nightmare has begun
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 8:35 am 
I heard last Sunday (Jan 15) was a parking nightmare with cars parked in the middle of the newly paved road and several cars were blocking traffic... Anybody witness that?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadeclimber

cascadeclimber
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:20 am 
Build a new trail. Spray about it blowing your own horn on the news. Build a giant new parking lot for new trail. Make sure to build parking lot in secluded location behind gate. Pay person to open gate every morning. Pay person to lock gate every night. Discover that poor location of lot results in many car break-ins. Pay to install surveillance cameras. Destroy parts of old trail after promising to leave it alone. Lock access to the parking lot all winter, causing frustration, upset, crowding, anger, etc. All the stuff we go to the mountains Edit to add: Whine and complain that your budget is inadequate to pay for upkeep and maintenance on the infrastructure you've built. Sorry, but this is just classic DNR dumbassery. So, so upset with them.

If not now, when?
cambajamba

cambajamba
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 10:30 am 
I did indeed witness that. I had hoped someone would have plowed the road so I could cruise down and check out the winter scene in my less that winterized car but when I pulled onto the road the parked cars started nearly immediately after the lutheran camp. Both sides of the road, center single lane was super tight and a sheet of ice so I didn't feel confident continuing. Backed out and went elsewhere. Sidenote: you think the Mailbox parking area was bad you should have tried pulling off the highway at Denny Creek the same day. Same type of scene but people were parking all down the on ramp and had been marked for tow. A cop had light spinning down by where the road toward Denny Creek Camp goes under the highway and numerous vehicles appeared to be stuck trying to find their way out of the mess.

Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:03 pm 
cambajamba wrote:
Sidenote: you think the Mailbox parking area was bad you should have tried pulling off the highway at Denny Creek the same day. Same type of scene but people were parking all down the on ramp and had been marked for tow. A cop had light spinning down by where the road toward Denny Creek Camp goes under the highway and numerous vehicles appeared to be stuck trying to find their way out of the mess.
Looks like people are not learning and do not plan on learning anytime soon...

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 2:28 pm 
Those dang humans trying to get away from the city! I betcha lotsa of them are newbies!

Art is an adventure.
iron

iron
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 3:30 pm 
amazon effect (among others)

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:00 pm 
And Bernado wonders why I'm not keen on the I-90 corridor....

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:21 pm 
The road to at least that point has always been pretty good for any car to negotiate. I doubt the paving project has anything to do with it. But I bet it has a lot to do with the rising population in Puget Sound. Stories all over the news discuss the big influx of people here. Myriad construction cranes throughout the city. Read the articles about the building boom in Ballard, South Lake Union, Lower Queen Anne. People enjoy Mailbox. Blocking the road, though. That's lousy.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:23 am 
Meanwhile, not far away, every time I've been to the Mt Washington trailhead -- there has been plenty of places to park. Last time I was there, there was a superb view of Mt Rainier from meadows near the top and it was quiet enough from so few visitors that I took a little nap.

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:13 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Meanwhile, not far away, every time I've been to the Mt Washington trailhead -- there has been plenty of places to park. Last time I was there, there was a superb view of Mt Rainier from meadows near the top and it was quiet enough from so few visitors that I took a little nap.
Shhhhhh! Let them keep crowding MB, SI & PooPoo - so the real gems stay gems wink.gif

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 11:41 am 
williswall wrote:
And Bernado wonders why I'm not keen on the I-90 corridor....
Yeah, all hikes in the I-90 corridor have similar issues. Don't anyone go there!! wink.gif

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 2:29 pm 
I don't think I'd ever go to Mount Washington again. Quite possibly the worst place I have ever been. Mailbox, Si, and Poo Poo Point are far superior options....

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 3:08 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
Mailbox, Si, and Poo Poo Point are far superior options....
Don't forget West Tiger 3.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 4:03 pm 
Someone should start a new route up Mailbox, just like the first one. Straight up hill, of course. It would be a true North Cascades alpine experience. That should last a couple years until it gets written up and goes viral like the first one. Then... start a newer one. A few of these should last through a pair of knees, then let the next generation worry about the proliferation of trails.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 6:55 pm 
Saw the parked cars all the way to the church camp. Roadway looked very icy.