Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anybody want to reveal their Jolly secrets?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 5:30 pm 
Interesting that this is not a popular winter snowshoe, or, people are just keeping it hush-hush, or, it's just really dangerous, or, it's just a grueling 12 plus miles through the snow, or... Views look to be absolutely amazing, even before you get to the summit Going to go on the next clear day and get as far as I feel comfortable given the avy concerns ( or not ) Read most of the winter reports and studying terrain maps & Google Earth but I get no indication of avy slopes to avoid. Most of my route would be ridge line Thanks

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 6:09 pm 
This is the route I've used. But it has been several years and short-cutting the road switchbacks in the clearcuts depends on how deep the snowpack is and how thick the "christmas tree farm" has become in the replanted clear cuts. Regardless of shortcuts lower down, short cutting up the ridge between 4600ft and 5000ft is highly desirable to avoid high avalanche potential slopes that the long zig-zag the road takes crosses. I've also heard of people following the summer trail, that route is fairly direct. However the section between 5200 ft and gaining the ridge at 5600 ft has substantial avalanche potential.

evergreen199

evergreen199
PostThu Jan 19, 2017 9:55 pm 
I think you've got it pretty much figured out, bootpathguy, here is my trip report from two years ago: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8014875. There was hardly any snow that year and we walked the road most of the way because cutting off the switchbacks was more brush bashing/walking through logging slash than it was worth with just a couple inches of snow. If there is enough snow I would definitely try to cut them when you can. On our trip we cut through the basin at 5700 feet (see my gps track), but like I said there was very little snow and avalanche risk was low - with the snow conditions this year I would stick to the ridge. I don't think people are keeping this hike quiet, it is just a longer trip than most people (who post here) usually take on snowshoes, and maybe not as popular because you're in the forest without views for much of the hike.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 20, 2017 5:47 am 
FWIW: This used to be a moderately popular ski tour when the clear cuts were new. However the replanted trees have grown large enough now that the skiing is too tight for fun skiing on the way down.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Jan 25, 2017 6:44 pm 
FWIW we (party of 3) skied roughly Randy's route est. 5-6 years ago in May. It went fine